Dogomania

Dresden growling at me

Marble

Okay, I have a question. You all know how challenging Dresden has been, she is just now actually showing some improvement. Now when she was little enough to sit in my lap, she would growl at me if I shifted her around. Whenever she growled I'd tell her No and move her around several more times till she knocked it off, which was usually pretty fast. Now last night she was lying down and I went to move her onto her blanket and she growled at me, I put my hand around her muzzle and very firmly told her no and moved her some more. Now last night she only growled once and after I disciplined her she started licking my hands. My questions are: Am I handling these situations with her well ? Do you all who have had pushy dogs think she is likely to keep doing this or get worse (she's only about nine months old) ? And, do you think she is pulling this every so often to test me ?

This could become a serious problem, its just a good thing she has an owner who loves her and will make an effort to change this behavior before it does become a problem, rather than someone who would just take her to the pound like unfortunatly so many dog owners would do.
I strongly suggest taking her to obedience, let her know you are boss. Never feed her before yourself and when you do feed her make her sit and wait for your command before she can eat. Never let her sleep on your bed, that will only make things worse if she is already challenging you.
Good luck with her! :wink:

But do you all think I am handling these situations appropriately? I do make her sit every time I pet her, every time she goes in and outdoors, every time I feed her, every time I give her a treat, every time she jumps etc. She is a sitting professional :) And I've been working on her with staying and longer down stays (which of course she hates :) ) and also working with her on leash etc. She was really polite yesterday twice in a row and we almost passed out.....I was all excited about this obedience class at a local kennel club but it's really far away and it's on day when I can't go, the only other ones I've found have been at PetSmart and I've talked to the instructor before and am not impressed at all. The biggest problem is that she knows just about everything I've taught her and just likes to decide when it is to her own advantage to be obedient. I know this because if I have a treat she'll do any of the things I've been teaching her.

i think you are handleing this as well as any dog person would except the treats thing. i may be wrong but hear my story and if it applies great if not sorry i'm no help. Lecter tests the waters with me every now and then and i use to give treats for proper behaviour untill he wouldn't do it unless he got a treat. basically he saw the treat as a reason to act up, gets scolded than listens and gets treat. so i just started using praise not so many treats. i always use the sit or down stay when it comes feeding time mostly b/c i don't need a 50lb beast getting in my way but i do feel that it establishes me has the boss cause i've got the food. in wild packs alphas dictate when subs can eat it, if at all. it seems to me that training a dog is more like becoming a dog yourself than getting your dog to act human.jmho

hey, I did not explain the treat thing right, i only give her treats when i'm working with her outside on coming, and not every time. and every so often i'll make her and lady do something, like a down stay or a shake or whatnot and then give them a treat. she doesn't get that many........but i do see your point and how that would be true if i were giving her lots of treats all the time. thanks for your help :) i appreciate it...

When you talk about domination, have far have you taken it? I had to acutally hold Daisy down on the ground to show her that I was the boss. I kind of laid on top of her and held down her head until she gave up trying to get up. Our trainer told me that. She said that is what mother dogs do with their pups. It worked!!! Have you tried that?

I've heard so many conflicting views on the alpha roll or putting them on their back that I've been very cautious about doing it. I've heard that with dogs of unknown backgrounds (like Dresden, she's from the pound) that it can be very traumatic for them, and that with some dogs ( like shepherds and rotties etc) that the alpha roll can turn into a huge power struggle and be a potentially very dangerous thing. What I have heard no conflicting opinions about that I have started doing is haveing the dog on a twenty or so minute down stay, "they" say that doing this every other day is the best way to reinforce your dominance without a power struggle, I usually lift up the sofa and put the leash under the leg closest to me :).........Hope this makes sense.....

Personally, I would not do the "alpha roll" on any of our dogs, because I would be setting myself up for nice lacerations to my face.

There are so many things that are preceived as being "dominant" to the dog. Any slip and they think they have gained in status.

Being alpha is a tough job and some dogs want to forego that position.

[quote name='Hobbit']Marble, it sounds like you are doing good with her. It also sounds like she is ready to do advanced things. She may be just challenging you, because she's at that age.[/quote]

thanks for the confirmation :) she does have some huge long teeth, they are as big as my brothers dobermans teeth.......very sharp and painful. the little mutt just started growing again.....maybe i could teach her to vaccuum and wash dishes, she loves trash maybe she could take it down to the can for me........yeah, she does probably need some more challenges, it's still very hard to get her to concentrate although she is improving somewhat in that dept. i need to be creative and think of some more things for her to work on. do ACD's ever grow out of this stage? :onfire:

[quote name='Marble'] do ACD's ever grow out of this stage? :onfire:[/quote]

They ONLY get worse.....just kidding. Their intelligence affords them the ability to constantly out think you.

Generally, yes they will outgrow the rebellious teenage years. It depends on the individual dog. Some get more defiant as they get older, some mellow to a workable level, some are just going to be a pain forever. :wink:

Ok, I DID NOT come up with this myself and it IS second hand info, possibly dog myth.
Alpha males often express their dominance by mock mounting another dog. If you want to express your dominance and you won't feel utterly foolish doing it and you want to avoid their pointy ends you could extrapolate.