Dogomania

Leashes & collars... leather vs. nylon

gooeydog

I've always used a nylon leash & collar on Goo, but I noticed that when she had some trouble with her allergies in fall, the collar rubbed most of the fur on the underside of her neck off. I don't like leaving her without a collar on, because there's not much else to grab onto in an emergency, so I'm wondering if leather wouldn't be better for her fur/skin (it's (well, was :roll: ) very fine and thin on the underside of her neck). I've also heard though that leather isn't as strong/won't hold up as well as nylon, so I'm not sure which would be better. And I'm wondering the same about the strength of leather vs. nylon leads.

[quote name='K']Dont A&E Collars do a wide nylon collar with a "fuzzy" inside for this purpose?..I know what you mean about the hair loss Storm has it too but she only ever wears a collar on our runs ...[/quote]
I just did a few searches for A&E collars, but didn't find anything (the one link I found said "site doesn't exist anymore" or something along those lines). So far, I like this collar: [url]http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=3CATLeatherFieldCollarsLEAFC[/url] and this leash: [url]http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=3CATHarnessLeatherLeashesHARLL[/url], and have heard from several people that they are sturdy, but I'm still not sure :roll: .

Guest Anonymous

A note on collars with "lambs wool (fake)" on the underside of a collar.
If it gets wet and then dries it becomes very hard.. or rather harder than it was..It tends to rub and can be rather uncomfortable on a dog. Not saying don't get one but take it off when it gets wet and "fluff" it. :lol:

Leather is good but they hold body odors real well. PU!!

Guest Anonymous

This doesn't have MUCH to do with this, not in helping anway, but... most of my stories are! LOL )( sorry by the way if you hate that :oops: )

Hazel got a Leather collar when she was about 2ish, it lasted a year, then the buckel broke, so I tossed the old one in Haze's "Broken bin" (I often will take peices and try to make her something new, I have very many pretty leashes all different colours! LOL these are just "extras" though) I had this box (also in it were Brushes, a magz. I bearly got to read!!, a muzzel, a lot of old clips, and some nail clippers) It was sitting on the grooming table on the front porch (I always bring it outside in the summer, Hazel likes to be groomed in the sun LOL... geez, the things I'll do for my dog!! LOL) well, it went missing one day, the WHOLE box, a long with a bag of grabage outside!!! So we figured it MUST have been a bear.
Last summer I was taking Hazel on a walk through our five acre woods and found the box of stuff! It was scattered everywhere, and the box was moldy and falling apart, and that magz. wasn't readable at ALL now, but I was so happy to see it all again!!! I brought the remanders inside and sorted out what was still useable if just cleaned up. The leather collar was SO moldy, you wouldn't believe it! It was just DISCUSTING!!! It was also all cracked.

The moral of this story?: Bring your stuff in, and don't let your leather collars or leashes sit outside all winter! :lol:

if your arts and crafty you could stich a silk one to hold the ID tags. silk is pretty strong but i wouldn't walk anydog on a silk collar. i stitched lecter a a silk/poly blend coller to hold his tags on cause he had the same problem going bald under his chin but i walk him on a harness. even if he's out in the yard i put his harness on cause it's easier for me to grab him in case of emergency.

Nylon leads will burn the daylights out of your hand as the dog is pulling it 90mph thru your hands.

You must take care of the leather. Use saddle soap and a good conditioner and it will stay supple and soft. A good quality leather collar will last a long time, provided it is cared for.

The thing I have against nylon is that when it get wet, it's like ice --- it's slippery. ....oh and it burns.....I mean, smokes your hand!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of pretty collars, either leather or nylon. They have such fancy collars available now...I have only used nylon though. I always chose nylon collars since they never crack or rot and they are holding ID tags. Plus, you can throw them in the washer to clean them. However, I really like leather leashes since they are easier on the hands and they last a long time (as long as the dog doesn't think it's a chew toy" :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

OK Different idea ~ how about the tubular harness webbing. makes great collars & leads. Soft on your hands and can be washed. Anyone who has ever smelt an old leather dog collar is put off for life. Yuck :D
[url]www.realdog.co.nz[/url] The owners also work Malamutes and make all their own harness gear. I used one of their Obedience training leads for years with my ESSs and no I do not have shares in the business. :)

Guest Anonymous

$25 ~ [color=red]New Zealand Dollars [/color]:D Did you check the currency converter?? Just a thought.
OK Done it $25 NZ = $13.67 US :roll:
Sue

As most of you may have figured out, I'm a horse rider! Anyways, at the barn, some of the horses use leather halters instead of nylon halters because they're safer. If the horse's halter got caught on a fence or tree or their legs, it could choke them or injure them. If the halter was nylon, this would be a major problem. However, with a leather halter, if the horse pulls away hard enouh with it's 1000 pound body, the [b]leather will actually snap and free them[/b]. For that purpose, [b]we use leather halters for safety[/b]. For the horses that loose the fur on their noses from the halters, we use a cotton/wool padded halter. But this is a dog we're talking about. Nylon will not tear, but if it somehow catches fire (I don't know how :-? , but still), it will actually [b]melt and stick onto the dog's fur and skin, causing severe second and third degree burns[/b]. I just recently got a leather one for Luka, and he likes it. The only problem is, when he scratches his neck, he leaves scratch marks all over his brand new $20 collar! With a regular dog that doesn't have allergies, I guess it's a matter of owner preference. I also don't think that a dog would be able to snap a leather collar like a horse could :oops: . I'm prolly not much help when it comes to dogs (I've been working with horses for 5 years, dogs for 1.5 years, but with my own dog for only 3 weeks!). Sorry guys...