Dogomania

Also a new member

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I know I'm new here, but I just have to say that you guys have this quality about you that makes me feel like we are all old friends. But, I guess most of you are. Maybe it's the way you talk to each other, I don't know. This probably sounds stupid. You just seem like one big, fun loving family.

Also, here in TX people it ham, biscuits, grits, and red eye gravy! :lol:

Grease, fat, caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar, nicotine... mmmmm (ok so maybe not nicotine) :D

I don't know if this will help anyone out with biscuits/cookies/scones etc but I found an interesting website the other day:

[url]http://www.aussieinamerica.com/cultural/cookies.htm[/url]

It's got heaps of great stuff about the cultural differences between Aust and the US... some of your delicacies etc are strange, but you probably think we're weird too! :drinking:

Actually this is a better link to it!

[url]http://www.aussieinamerica.com/food/biscuits.htm[/url]

Re. biscuits and cookies, Andrew (Australian) in Seattle writes:

Australians would consider the best quality American cookies to be stale (they're always soft like they're old or half baked or something).

Americans would consider the best quality Australian biscuits to be stale (they're always crispy and dry, like they're dried out or something).

:roll: :lol:

No, it's pretty much unheard of here, that particular combination of sweet and savoury... :wink:

Breakfast "brekkie" I think for most people consists of either toast with a variety of toppings (I like Vegemite), bagels, crumpets, or muffins (the English kind). A very quick and tasty breakfast is cereal and milk. If feeling energetic and not rushed you might have bacon and eggs with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes and maybe sausages (only if hungover IMO lol) as well as some toast, with a coffee or hot chocolate or orange juice. Or pancakes which we have with lemon and sugar, jam, or butter and maple syrup! :wink:
Breakfast on the run is becoming more popular so you can get a selection of "breakfast bars", ie. bigger than average museli bars at the supermarket.
Before school in the mornings Dad would wake me up by sending BK in to annoy me, he'd lick my face a few times and snuggle up beside me, so Dad would come in and find both of us asleep. He then started bringing me in a coffee. :D

[quote]It's got heaps of great stuff about the cultural differences between Aust and the US... some of your delicacies etc are strange, but you probably think we're weird too! [/quote]
I thought I'd share a little cullinary oddity from Canada - poutine (this is not a breakfast food.)
I don't know if this artery clogger has reached you Yanks yet but it is available in fast food chains here now. It is a "traditional" French-Canadian dish comprised of french fries (usually deep freid), topped with cheese curds and gravy.
I was told by some women from "the south" (she didn't mention what state in paticular) I met on the ferry that fries and gravy was not common where she was from and she wouldn't beleive me when I explained poutine.

[quote]It's got heaps of great stuff about the cultural differences between Aust and the US... some of your delicacies etc are strange, but you probably think we're weird too! [/quote]
I thought I'd share a little cullinary oddity from Canada - poutine (this is not a breakfast food.)
I don't know if this artery clogger has reached you Yanks yet but it is available in fast food chains here now. It is a "traditional" French-Canadian dish comprised of french fries (usually deep freid), topped with cheese curds and gravy.
I was told by some women from "the south" (she didn't mention what state in paticular) I met on the ferry that fries and gravy was not common where she was from and she wouldn't beleive me when I explained poutine.

[quote name='deepseasnake']you are all wrong about american breakfast you know, the most popular breakfast over on this half of the world is a hot cup of black coffee and cold pizza from no less than 3 days ago, YUMMMMM :D[/quote]

No way!!! Pizza left over from the night before (mmm-mmm), plus any dregs from the goon (wine cask), glass or bottle... :D

Poutine- I like my cholesterol in bacon form... people here have chips (fries) and gravy but never heard of having it with cheese curds... is it tasty?

• 2 months later...