Dogomania

Cop shoots family dog.

eric

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Perhaps you would like to write to the officer concerned and wish him a sppedy recover from the trauma of being attacked by a friendly, tail wagging dog

Eric Lee Hall
2717 Beckner Lane
Cookeville TN 38501

Does anyone on here live in the state of TN?

Well I do.

I could tell you more cop stories that would curl your hair. I can assure you from personal experience that they do NOT follow the law. They do as they please. I am not highly convinced that they are trained at all. I am certain the ones here, where I live, have never been told how to handle the possibility of a dog's presence (friendly or not) in the midst of an arrest.

The cops in VA weren't much better, though; one time when I accompanied a lady to her home to retrieve her belongings ( I was acting as the domestic violence court advocate at the time) I phoned the sheriff and asked him to send an officer over, as it looked to me like the man was home (wasn't supposed to be). "Ma'am," he drawled, "I can't send any of my men up there; it is MUCH too dangerous."
(it turned out ok....I handled it myself. :roll: )

Well I am on Rotts side.

He was wrong for shooting the dog but you also have to look at his side. I am not justifying what happened. I just think it was a mistake and that he is probably sorry.

OK so the arrest was unjust, but they thought it was legal.
The owners asked for the door to be closed, cops said no. Many times cops leave the doors open. Allowing the guy to go back and close the door, could have given him a chance to escape or get a gun/knife etc... If the cop went to close the door, the cop could be at risk.

A wagging tail does not mean a dog is friendly.

I am sorry this cop does not deserve to loose his job.

How many times do you hear on the media about a cop being attacked by a dog, NOT OFTEN. So a cop shoots a dog and now he is a bad guy. Why was this dog not contained in the car? How do we know this cop was not attacked while on duty by a dog and is just more cautious? Cops are attacked often by animals.

What would you all say if the cop chose NOT to shoot the dog and the dog did attack? Chances are you would not have heard about it. When is the public going to try and protect the cops?

You know cops are in a high risk field trying to protect us and themselves. If the cop felt threatened he had right to shoot and shoot to kill.

I am an animal lover but if i felt threatened even if I was wrong, I would not hesitate to shoot.

:mad: There were at least four so-called police officers. The family was hand-cuffed and on their knees....just what type of theat is that.

One officer looked in the car and saw the dogs. they were told the dogs were there, they were begged to close the door.

Instead....within 3 seconds a tail-wagging dog's head was blown away and the family's heart broken.

Yes, we all know that tail wagging may not mean a happy dog...but it usally does. Three seconds is hardly time to make a rational decision.

This trigger-happy cop could have fired in the air, he could have kicked the dog away, he could have used the butt of his gun to push the dog away.

I am sorry..but I see no defense for allowing this bubba with a badge to remain a police officer. It was a dog this time...what will he do next time he says he was threatened.

The shooting of the dog was just the last tragic chapter in a mishandled and abuse of powers case.

First a hysterical nitwit with a phone decides that a bill fold blowing off a car means she is seeing "robbers". (I did not realize that robbers threw money out car windows.)

Second, the THP had time to follow the family but not time to ask just what were the facts of the case.

Third, with no solid information that any crime had been commited, the police acted like they had just caught Osama Ben Laden.

And last...well...we know what happened last! It was wrong, it was tragic and there is NO excuse for it.

Well the day you become a cop and have a dog coming charging at you, you will have the right to make a judgement call.

Maybe you should go do some ride-a-longs with some cops and see what the real world is like. Or maybe go check out some hospitals and find some patients that have been attacked by a dog.

Like I said...I am not justifying what the cop did but there are 2 sides to every story.

And I am sorry a wagging tail can mean a dog will attack and does not usually mean a dog is friendly. It all depends on the dog and what is happening. And before anyone says that I have something against the breed...I don't. I was just defending pitbulls on another board. I love the breed. And I am not a cop.

Sorry if I am able to see both sides of the story because I realize that people are human and they do make mistakes.

My first instinct would be to shoot first and ask questions later if I was doing my job and saw some dog come running at me. I don't care if the dog was a darn teacup poodle, wagging its tail...

You say there were 4 cops--how many people in the car? Let's see about 1 cop per person in the car plus one extra to oversee--sounds about right to me.

:mad: :mad: Your reasoning powers would indicate you would make a fine Cookeville police officer...hurry and apply.

AGAIN...THE FAMILY WAS HANDCUFFED AND ON THEIR KNEES...guns were pointed at their heads. There was no one in the car.

Just who was threat to the police?

Common sense and protection of all would have been to close the darn door. If the dogs had run into traffic, their could have beeen an accident that would have involved all.

FYI, my family has been in the police officer business for 30 years in the 9th largest city in the US....so I do understand and respect police officers.

I have no respect for ignorant bubbas who do not get their facts straight before acting like storm toopers.....they make it hard for all the good officers.

Just because I disagree with you does not give you right to judge me and be beligerant.

My family has also been in the police force for years.

My question is: when was the last time anyone stuck up for a cop that was attacked by a dog? Or for a cop that shot a dog because he felt he was in danger? When was the last time any of this kind of stuff made the news. If this would have attacked the cop, we would not have heard about it. Which is not fair. Many cops are attacked daily but no one gives them a break.

I am not justifying what the cop did. He overreacted but there could be circumstances that we don't know. Sorry if I feel he does not deserve to loose a job over this. After all, a dog is a dog and cannot be compared to human life.

We will have to agree to disagree...

Maybe the issue is lack of training on the part of the police officers?

I can't imagine that encountering dogs is a terribly rare occurence for a police officer. Yet as far as I know there is no formal training given to police officers (aside from K-9 units of course) on "reading" and handling dogs.

The result is that this dog jumped out of the car, the cop panicked because he was never trained on dealing with dogs, so he kills him.

It can be argued that we don't know what its like to have to make decisions "in the heat of the moment" as this officer had to. Yet if officers cannot be trusted to make the right decision in the heat of the moment, then there is a serious issue. Even if you're not a dog lover, you have to admit that there is something disturbing about an officer so willing to use deadly force with such little provocation.

I'm sure if this officer owned dogs the outcome would of been completely different.

:mad: ...oh...sorry if you felt I reacted harshly against your statements...but you see...well...I felt threatened....and so ...I just reacted...welll sorry about that.

You and I have No disagreement about the risks and little gratitude that police often get. It is not right...but events such as this just feed the negative feelings that GOOD officers have to fight. Anyone who is making death threats should be punished if caught. You can not fight violence and ignorance with more violence.

Wearing a badge gives you the resposibility to up-hold the law...it does not take away your rights to protect yourself and your brother and sister officers...and it does not give you the right to be judge, jury and executioner...all in the matter of a 3 second period...which is what Hall did.

One of the obligations of an officer is to respond with the right amount of force...and to have the judgement to know what that is.

Officer Hall could have protected himself from this dog by any number of other options as I have mentioned before.

Discharging a shotgun along a busy highway with at least 6 others in the immediate area is at the best poor judgement.

Hall would have us believe that the dog was growling and charged him...the tape says otherwise.

He should not be carrying a badge and a gun.

Guest Anonymous

We understand you are angry andd frustrated but that post was inapropriate to say the least ...please remember this is an open forum and minors and the elders may look in....

:( Er...sorry...but while I do not agree with those who are supporting the officer...neither will I pray for his harm.

I believe he is wrong...and will pray that he comes to understand this and understand how better to handle his actions...hopefully NOT as a police officer.

I understand your pain at those who caused injury to your innocent puppy...but the God I worship is not one I would approach with a prayer for anyone's harm or death.

I do believe we should all work for laws that would prevent and handle those who torture animals.

Guest Anonymous

MY god, i can't believe people are that stupid. Pretend you're a cop. You're looking for a robbery suspect and you get the call like the one of this family. Now, this could be the robber this could be a normal family. COPS DON'T KNOW THIS FROM LOOKING AT THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS!!! What is wrong with you people. They have every right to detain them until they determine wether they are the robbers or not. I love dogs more than anything, and it was not the officers fault, it was LACK OF TRAINING in such scenerios. Most departments dont teach things like that, and they should. Sad story, no law suit.

:cry: There was NOT a robbery. There was NOT a report of a robbery. There was a report of a green van going down the highway and that a large amount of money had come out of it. This was NOT even a report from a law enforcement officer. It was someone on a cell phone.

The THP followed the family for some time...they had plenty of time to ascertain just what was the situation...they did not.
(and littering is not a felony)

They could have closed the door....they did not.

Their excuse was that it would put them in the cross-fire. What cross-fire?The family was on its knees and handcuffed...and no one was in the car.

This is NOT a case of an officer's right to defend themselves. Certainly they have that right...they also have an obligation to adjust their response to the threat.

One of the reason's given for shooting the dog was they thought it was a pit bull.....and that I think is a main reason why Patton died.

He was a pit bull and all pits are killer dogs...or so some would have us believe. This case just illustrates again the tragedy of this mind-set.

It is also reported that this is the THIRD time Hall has shot a pet dog. He contends ...as he did this time...that the dogs were threatening. He added in the first two cases he was defending children and folks were thankful to him....well...perhaps so....then again...look at the tape....then listen to his twisted version of what happened.

Tell me one lie...and should I trust your word on other situations?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='corgilady'][quote name='cherry ong']We understand you are angry andd frustrated but that post was inapropriate to say the least ...please remember this is an open forum and minors and the elders may look in....[/quote]

[b][color=blue]Elders???[/color][/b][/quote]
:lol:

To me, an Elder is someone in their 80's....so you are OK Corgi! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

My teacher had her classes (a total of about 150 students) write letters to the Smoak family, the chief person, and the troopers. apparently, that officer who shot Patton, Eric Hall (damn you), has already shot 2 or 3 dogs. I see a pattern forming.... :x

Guest Anonymous

I was going to stay out but I gess not, The family was not a threat that much is clear but police training dictates that the cop watch the "suspect" until they are taken into custody ie: in the cop car. The cops could have closed the door but that goes against training, you are taught to ignore crying and begging as this is how anyone who thinks they may go to jail reacts. When you are on duty cops are pretty much emotionless, not thoughtless. He is going over a milllion rules and thoughts not knowing wheter or not these are actual criminals, then the dog jumps out now granted he SHOULD NOT have shot that dog but I can see where the action came from. Its a given that the guy was under a TON of stress at that moment and his head would not have been clear. Now I think that if his reation was done on accident he should have apologized not laughed. I saw both sides and a good cop would have been forgiven but this jerk laughed in the face of the dog owner and family while they cried he need to lose his job.

You made some good points. I still think;however, that good police procedure would have been to shut the darn door.

I would have done it because I love dogs and would not want to see one run into traffic....AND it seem to me that even if you could not stand dogs...you would shut the door:

1. Best way to protect yourself from the dogs.
2. Loose dogs on a highway can cause accidents.

Petition signed.

I agree that the worst part of the entire incident was when the officers showed utter disregard for the grief of the family and considered the whole thing a joke. It wouldn't be a joke if they or their families were on the receiving end!

Good way to Protect and Serve! Maybe dealing with the worst side of the public has made them believe that everyone they stop is guilty until proved innocent. Police are people and they make mistakes just like the rest of us, but these mistakes shouldn't happen on the job when they have the power of life and death over us. :o

Guest Anonymous

What is the first rule of a road trip with dogs?

1. crate the dog.
2. canine seatbelt/ harness

had they done this it would never have been an issue. Now they didnt and a combinations or rash reactions bad training and high stress situations have resulted in a wrongful shooting of a beloved family friend.

Guest Anonymous

All of the officers, from the THP to the Cookeville Patrol Officers who stopped the Smoak family are at fault for the unfortunate event that took place in Cookeville.

There was no report of a felony crime, just an assumption. Whoever okayed this stop to be a felony is also to blame.

I am from a long line of police officers in my family and the training consist of also being able to handle a situation at hand. Situations with small children "AND ANIMALS". The training of these officers obviously has a major flaw.

Many of you who say that the officers were in a very stressful situation and that is the reason the dog was shot. All you people better take a very good look at that video......The only ones in a very stressfull situation were the Smoak family kneeling on the ground with hands cuffed behind their backs and shot guns pointed at their heads.

Many are saying Patton was a Pit Bull, some of the news media are also printing the he was a Pit Bull mix. Patton was 3/4 Boxer and some type of Bull. Because of his look and following the flash light on the shot gun, the officer shot him. Only 3 seconds from exiting the car with his tail wagging and in a friendly romping movement he followed the light. And that light took him to the other side.

Once again refering to the video....Look at the officer standing near the open door where Mrs. Smoak is kneeling. He is in a relax manner, body language shows no fear of attack or danger coming his way. You hear Mrs. Smoak ask approximately 10 times to please close the door so the dogs won't come out. If you look where Brandon is at one point he will attempt to move in a stand up position to close the door. He he is pushed down and told to stay where he is at......Getting back to the officer nearest the open door where Mrs. Smoak is at, he could have easily pushed the door close without even moving his legs.

According to a report from the Cookeville Police Department: Reasons for the officer not closing the door is, he would be in the line of fire. Hmmm,...... lets think about that. Line of fire from who,... not the Smoak family, the were securely apprehended with shot guns pointed at their heads.....Or could it be one of the other armed officers who might fire a shot through the open door......Or maybe there might have been a hunter in the area and his target just be through that open door......Oh please!.... The stupidity of reason by the Cookeville Police Department is absurd. They all screwed up by jumping to conclusions of what that female cell phone caller said. But now they are giving cover up statements which only makes them look worst.

I have a lot of respect for police officers but when you have a group like these guys it makes all of us have a harder time trying to protect the good from the bad.

Unfortunately the Smoak family was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now Patton is watching over them from the Otherside.

I hope Cookeville cleans up their department and bring in officers who are trained to handle stress and non-confontatioal situation. And this entire stop with the Smoaks was...NON-CONFRONTATIOAL.[img][/img]