Dogomania

Cop shoots family dog.

eric

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gigi, I am a Libra.

I can tell you that next time we go on a vacation all three of my dogs will have the car harnesses on.
I am seriously sobbing here how could he. WHY COULDN'T THEY CLOSE THE DOORS? This is incredibly heart breaking!
I sincerely hope the cop gets it where it hurts the most.
Can't say anymore, that poor dog :cry:

Guest Anonymous

Mine have to wear the harnesses cuz otherwise Kenzo is in my lap when I try to drive. :roll:

I can't wait to see what developes from this. I hope he gets shot and then WE can all grin at HIM.

I have a Outback...so I put the back seats down, leashes on dogs then hook the leashes to something in the back. They can't get in the front where they would be in danger of the air back and they can get out.

What kind of perverted mind would laugh about something like this! :evilbat: :mad: :x :cry:

Guest Anonymous

Someone calls in a possible crime for a wallet flying out of rather off of a car. So the cops suspect a carjacking. They pull them over and jerk them out of the car, make them kneel, hands on head.... What? So just anyone can call in something and they do this to anyone? Please. I thought it was registration, license... or at least can you please step out of the vehicle.
And did they think it was a whole family carjacking??? Yeah and we bring the dog too... What were they thinking with their big toe?

My fave is "Sir inside information..." Inside information... Someone going down the road... So I guess if I see something from Lowes go flying off the back of a truck I can assume they robbed Lowes!

What I see is a family who was more worried for their animal than themselves and an officer who did not like it. Rid the problem then they can pay attention to the big bad policeman.

Lets see could anything have been done differently. Yeah 2 cops there and backup. Shut the doors. If it is a carjack why do you need the doors opened if the officer was so worried about the dog it seems like he would have shut the doors for his own safety. DUH.

Guest Anonymous

[size=7][color=blue][b]WOO HOO MEI-MEI!!!!

THANK YOU FROM ALL OF US DOG LOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/color][/size]

:angel: You are an angel.

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]sixjollydogs,

I do agree that the cop over-reacted but you are thinking as a pet owner/lover. Think of this as a cop youve got a large dog bounding toward you not sure of the temperment, because you may not know dog body language all you know is that its coming at you you have its family on the ground cuffed at gun point, most canines are ot going to be happy to meet you in these circumstances, I know i would feel sorry for anyone in that situations where my dogs are concerned. [/quote]

I certainly don't wish to imply that I agree with the officer's actions but, I agree with the statement above. This is one of the primary reasons my dogs are ALWAYS crated when traveling.

Several years ago there was a car accident on a very rural highway....joins Atlanta and Savannah, miles and miles of nothing. Ambulance arrived, couldn't get to unconcious driver because her Rottie was "defending" her. Time was of the essence so, the cops shot the Rottie. Poor Rottie was just doing what she considered to be her job. :cry: I will never allow my dogs to be put in that position.

I have worked as a Park Warden (badged law officer within the confines of a provincial or national park charged with maintaining order yada yada and making sure campers have nice vacations).
Technically within the park dogs are to be on 2m leashes at all times.
Often they are not, and frankly, if they are quiet and under strict control, I don't [i]personally[/i] care.
BUT in most cases I really did wish people would put their dogs on at least a 5 meter leash while there sitting around their campfire in the dark.

Frequent Scenario: a few people having a few drinks around the campfire, their a little toasty and don't realize how their voices are carrying, I go into site (legal) to remind them to keep their voices down, out of nowhere comes the SOUND of a fast approaching, barking dog, I can't see it, I sometimes have time to ask if the dog is leashed before the dog reaches me even if I start backing away. I have to admit, I have come [u]close[/u] to giving a couple dogs a good wack in the head with my flashlight (they were not leashed, they were approaching while barking, I couldn't see them well, they were not scared off by my shouting or waving light)
So I can understand the need to react to a possibly aggresive dog BUT I cannot understand how this thing happened to poor Patton.
One of the important principles we learned as weany park cops was to ensure our safety. You can be damn sure I would have had those people close the car door as they were getting out for my safety and everyone elses! And as weany little park cops we were drilled on varying levels of force and they could have been so many options! Maybe my perspective is different because I worked in a park where the people I dealt with, even the ones breaking the law, where to be treated with a certain level of respect and decency. How can you be a protector of people and hurt them and their furry family members so much?

Unfortunately I went to work crying today. My husband was watching CNN before I left and all of sudden the story was on. They showed the footage and I am now haunted by the images. I can tell you now that I will never forget that poor dog. He had no chance.
The owners did cry out several times to close the car doors. The dog did not show sign of aggression towards ANY officer. He never had a chance, it looked like he was trying to go to mom who was yelling for him to stay away from the highway. The officer just blatantly shot the dog several times. Could the officer not have shot the dog in the leg if he felt threatened? He was shooting first and asking questions later.
NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE FOOTAGE:
Do not watch the footage! Please for your sakes. My husband and I both are now haunted by the images. If it comes on the t.v. turn it off.
I am very serious. I am now home and my husband and I both cried again over the cruelty.

Please take some steps to lets others know how you feel. Old motor-mouth here has:

1. written the governor of the state
2. written the Tennessean which is the main paper out of Nashville
3. written the local paper
4. sent a letter to ABC (Good Morning America)
5. letter to state highway patrol
6. called city hall and left a message

Sharing our anger is good...but it is also the proverbial preaching to the choir. My advice....sock it to the people in charge of the idiots who did this.

:mad: :evilbat: :x

:mad: Six jolly dogs "ain't feeling so jolly and I think I have to bite someone!

Read the lies on the Cookeville police web site! They are claiming the officer tried to call the dog but it circled him and then went towards him.

This is a lie! The dog was shot within 3 seconds by this jerk!

[email][email protected][/email]

Above is the e-mail address for the mayor.

Guest Anonymous

I went and that is a great site with loads of coverage!!! Lots of great links!!

I saw the video :o
[url]www.cookeville.com[/url]
For those interested..

Guest Anonymous

i WILL NEVER GO TO COOKEVILLE according to the sight the PD is full of corrupt crooked cops, with bad tempers and no training. Sad to see a badge on the chest of people like that. :x

Guest Anonymous

Well, here it is being swept under the carpet

[url]http://www.putnampit.com/patton/internal_affairs.pdf[/url]

If you would like to compain, write to

Rather write and make your prescence felt than just be outraged

:mad: We must speak up for this family and poor Patton. We must let these bubbas know there is NOT a carpet large enough to sweep this mess under. (I do not think that everyone in Tennesse is a bubba..but the folks trying to cover it up certainly are!)

I would urge you all to go to to the web site that talks about the history of this "police" department.

It is this type of jerk in a uniform that makes it hard for the many decent officers.