Dogomania

Fleas!!

eggrolyn1223

When we took Duck to the vet for a checkup, he said that she has fleas...I wonder why.. :-? Anyways, they don't sell those droplet thingys here...I looked EVERYWHERE.They have powder that is supposed to be mixed with water and then rubbed on the dog, or flea collar.Would a flea collar actually work?And which way would be better.I'd rather use the flea collar. :roll: AND if I did use the collar, would I have to put her regular collar over it when we go out?Or how would I put her leash on?[size=2]Too many questions....[/size][size=1]I'm out of breath...huh..huh.[/size]

Egg fleas can be a nightmare :mad:
Can the vet get hold of frontline for you?
it lasts about 3 months ish and is brilliant :lol:
Egg when treating her remember to treat her bedding etc too.
Roo

Please please do not use the products you are speaking of. They can have devastating effects. Some people use them just fine, but is it worth the risk?

We used drugstore products which ended up with a dead kitty, a husband with gigantic hives that lasted for months, and us having to leave our house while it was aired out.

Frontline is a great product that can be purchased online. I have used [url]http://www.petpharmacopia.com[/url] to order, great prices and great service.

You will also need to vacuum and wash beddings frequently until you rid your house of the fleas. You can sprinkle salt in your carpet and furniture, it dries up any hatching fleas. Vacuum crevices and baseboards as well. Make sure you change the bag right after or else the fleas will just hatch there.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, you can get Frontline on line at a lot of different websites! Please try that option. Frontline also has tick protection in one of their formulas.

Any word on the worming issue?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']Alright Egg, I found this just for you

Blend together 2 parts diatomaceous earth, 1 part baking soda and 1 part corstarch. The diatomaceous earth scratches the skin of the larvae, the baking soda dries them up and the cornstarch is a carrier. Don't apply on pets and the diatomaceous earth can cause lung irritations. Sprikle it every where the dog has been. Rub into carpet with magazines.[/quote]

What's diatomaceous? :oops:

You should be able to get diatomaceous earth at a drugstore. Boric acid works on the same principle. Make sure you get diatomaceous earth that doesn't say anything about using it in your pool. I wish I could be more specific, but something I read said there is a kind for use in swimming pools that is not okay to use around pets? If I find the info I'll post it.

[quote name='sashagirl']And where do you get it?? :-?[/quote]

It is sold at garden stores, health food stores and at feed mills. We buy 100lb sacks from the feed mill (cheaper than any other place). It is feed grade diatomaceaous earth, used in livestock feed.

yeah, i know, i'm late again. but i just wanted to say that you can buy diatomaceous earth MUCH cheaper at pool supply companies. they use it in the filters in lieu of sand. we used it in our pool, and we could get a 50 gallon drum of it for like $30-$50. so i imagine you could get a small bucket or bag of it for almost nothing!

eeeewww! no back yard! :o well, egg, if you ever want to play in a back yard you can always come to arkansas! i'll let you ride horses and everything :wink: sorry i can't let you play in the pool too, we dug it up....dad's hounds kept rolling in horse poo, then jumping in the pool. what's worse, the ducks at our pond kept coming up to the yard and getting in there :bad-words:! it was getting to be a hassle to clean. imagine if you will: 1 pool, 7 dogs, and 4 pooping ducks. BLEEECK!!

[quote name='mcobbin']yeah, i know, i'm late again. but i just wanted to say that you can buy diatomaceous earth MUCH cheaper at pool supply companies. they use it in the filters in lieu of sand. we used it in our pool, and we could get a 50 gallon drum of it for like $30-$50. so i imagine you could get a small bucket or bag of it for almost nothing![/quote]

Oh my, have you priced it lately at the garden shop? Outragously overpriced!

The different between the pool kind and the livestock feed kind is the "Silica". Silica has (allegedly) been linked to respiratory cancers.

It was like $5.00 for a pound! I almost fell over. We get 50lbs for $14.00 at the feed mill.

I've been told that many companies are opting for the "less silica" in the diatomaceaous earth because of all the controversy about the silica.

I really does work on the fleas, that and nematodes! Unfortunately, it also hurts the beneficial insects, as well.

[quote name='mcobbin']eeeewww! no back yard! :o well, egg, if you ever want to play in a back yard you can always come to arkansas! i'll let you ride horses and everything :wink: sorry i can't let you play in the pool too, we dug it up....dad's hounds kept rolling in horse poo, then jumping in the pool. what's worse, the ducks at our pond kept coming up to the yard and getting in there :bad-words:! it was getting to be a hassle to clean. imagine if you will: 1 pool, 7 dogs, and 4 pooping ducks. BLEEECK!![/quote]
:o It probably didn't even look like a pool then...a big brown mass of ...stuff. :roll: Good thing we don't have a pool though...Duck would be swimming in it all day..she loves water so much!Well, there are exceptionally few people that have BYs..I'm one of them :) That's why people don't like dogs...they poop, owners don't clean up, poop everywhere :roll: It was so weird once when I tok Duck for a walk and she pooed...so I took out the poopy bag and stuck it under her butt..and there was a person sitting there..and he just stared at me like I was crazy :-?

Flea collars stink and when I last had one on BK (he doesn't have them now he's at dad's, they must be left over from the previous tenant's cat :x ) he had a weird reaction to it. :-? Maybe tablets would be a good start, ones that destroy the whole flea cycle. (cannot remember what they are called)

Good luck with it, fleas are horrible nasty little things.