Dogomania

Comparing foods....AGAIN

eggrolyn1223

I went to the pet supply store today and made a list of all the commercial foods and their first ingredients:

Nature's Recipe-Lamb meal
Royal Canin-Dehydrated poultry meat
Purina Pro Plan-Chicken(I wonder if it's real chicken?)
Optima-Chicken meal
Nutro Choice-Dried lamb meat
ANF-Chicken meal
Frisian Dog's Choice-Defatted poultry meal
Science Diet-Corn meal

Someone please tell me which one you think is the best(only from this list)?

Which is better, Nutro, Science Diet (Personally can't stand the stuff), Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba? I live in a "town" of 500. I have to drive 40 miles one way to a town of 15,000 to buy dogfood (unless I want to feed the "grocery store" brands), and the above are about the only choices. I have a hard time imagining driving 200 miles round trip(especially in a foot of snow) to go to a bigger town to buy dog food. Especially when I have been feeding Nutro for 20 years.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Black GSD']Which is better, Nutro, Science Diet (Personally can't stand the stuff), Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba? I live in a "town" of 500. I have to drive 40 miles one way to a town of 15,000 to buy dogfood (unless I want to feed the "grocery store" brands), and the above are about the only choices. I have a hard time imagining driving 200 miles round trip(especially in a foot of snow) to go to a bigger town to buy dog food. Especially when I have been feeding Nutro for 20 years.[/quote]

Are you able to order on line? There are a lot of places that will allow online ordering.

[url]http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/[/url]
Not sure how comparable their prices are.

I would say all of those brands you listed above are not the best. I am NOT an expert, but just went through all of this recently when deciding to get my dogs off of Iams crap. I ended up debating between Wellness and Natural Balance.

While I want to feed mine Wellness, I feed mine Natural Balance due to availability in my area. I could order Wellness on line but with my credit card history, I am better off not.... :oops:

I guess ordering online would be an option. I will have to check into it. I don't have a credit card either. But I do have a check card (you know, works like a credit card but comes out of your checking acct.) As long as they use a shipper that comes to "no mans land" We only have UPS that comes here. Seems to me though that shipping could be a real "killer". Especially with 4 (soon to be 5) dogs to feed.
This is one of the few bad things about living in the "middle of nowhere". Especially when I come from the Portland, OR. area where they have "real" stores. Actually, I think this is the ONLY bad thing about living "in the middle of nowhere".

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Black GSD']I guess ordering online would be an option. I will have to check into it. I don't have a credit card either. But I do have a check card (you know, works like a credit card but comes out of your checking acct.) As long as they use a shipper that comes to "no mans land" We only have UPS that comes here. Seems to me though that shipping could be a real "killer". Especially with 4 (soon to be 5) dogs to feed.
This is one of the few bad things about living in the "middle of nowhere". Especially when I come from the Portland, OR. area where they have "real" stores. Actually, I think this is the ONLY bad thing about living "in the middle of nowhere".[/quote]

OK. This place also takes phone orders. I'm sure they would take checks as well (that's the only way I pay for on line orders anymore).

Also, they ship via UPS, USPS, and Fed Ex.

Here are their rates: OUCH.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northeastern States 10 Lbs. UPS 20 Lbs. UPS 40 Lbs. UPS
St. James, NY 6.99 7.99 8.49
Boiling Springs, PA 6.99 7.99 8.49
Blackwood, NJ 6.99 7.99 8.49
Gloucester, MA 6.99 7.99 8.49
Vinton, VA 6.99 7.99 8.49
Hartford, CT 6.99 7.99 8.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Central States 10 Lbs. UPS 20 Lbs. UPS 40 Lbs. UPS
Chicago, IL 6.99 7.99 15.99
Indianapolis, IN 6.99 7.99 10.99
Hudson, OH 6.99 7.99 10.99

Southern States 10 Lbs. UPS 20 Lbs. UPS 40 Lbs. UPS
Birmingham, AL 6.99 7.99 15.99
Nashville, TN 6.99 7.99 15.99
Louisville, KY 6.99 7.99 10.99
Houston, TX 6.99 7.99 18.99

Southeastern States 10 Lbs. UPS 20 Lbs. UPS 40 Lbs. UPS
Boca Raton, FL 6.99 7.99 15.99
Greenwood, SC 6.99 7.99 10.99
St. Simons Island, GA 6.99 7.99 15.99

Western States 10 Lbs. UPS 20 Lbs. UPS 40 Lbs. UPS
Seattle, WA 7.99 11.99 25.99
San Francisco, CA 7.99 11.99 25.99
San Lorenz, NM 9.49 13.49 27.49
Sandy, UT 7.99 11.99 25.99
Salem, OR 7.99 11.99 25.99
Denver, CO 7.99 11.99 22.99

The 'food' discussion always gets me just a bit riled. I think we know more and worry more about whats in the dogs food than we do about whats in our own food or the food our kids eat. Really I do.
Don't misunderstand me, I too want to feed my dogs a healthy diet.
Then the little princess Candy helps herself to the cat box. sigh....
Brittany will eat just about ANYTHING, veggies, fruits, whatever.
Jesse was on science diet for a number of years and appeared to be quite fine with it, will it bring on cancer in his later years? If he DOES get any type of cancer, I cannot see being able to say, it was the Science Diet.
Canidae was highly recommended as a premium food, well it gave 2 of my dogs poop that was very close to the runs. Made all of them go more frequently.
Heck there really is not a point to this little ramble, it just bothers me that some people feel so guilty because they are hearing that the food they are feeding is crap. Maybe it is, maybe some dogs do really well on crap. Maybe some dogs need a higher quality crap.

Carol,

Very well put! I totally agree. What about all those people that feed their dogs "grocery store"brand dog food. And they have dogs that live to be 17yo? Like I said, I have been feeding Nutro for 20 years. I have never had any trouble. I have had dogs live to be in their mid teens. Right now we have an ACD that is 14yo. She still acts like a pup.. Running around like an idiot, just like my 3yo.

Guest Anonymous

Some dogs do good on crap and some don't.

There was a post I had made last week about a golden needing rescued. He's on Purina One and anything else give him the runs....

I can't resist.....everyone in my family can eat yams (really sweet taters), except me. They give me very ..... um ..... a loud bodily function.

Some dogs do well on Old Roy ( :-? ), some do not. Every dog has a different digestive system (even though they are all the same, they are still different).

We used to feed Purina --- went thru them like a funnel. Purina One doesn't. But, we still won't feed Purina. We switched to Diamond. They like Diamond and do very well. Then had a little 3 month problem with Diamond, seems to be all cleared up now. BUT, we are now feeding Strongpoint, also (along with Diamond puppy). They LOVE it and their poop shows it......clap your hands....if your poop is happy, clap your hands....oh....got off topic.

So, each to his own. Some people condemn others for what they feed their dogs, this is just not right. Not everyone has the resources, finances or ability (not meaning intelligence, other situations exist) to be able to feed Wellness, or a natural diet, cooked meal, etc....

We all do what we do to keep our dogs healthy and us happy.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']I can't resist.....everyone in my family can eat yams (really sweet taters), except me. They give me very ..... um ..... a loud bodily function.
[b]Remind me of this if I ever manage to visit....[/b] :roll:

Some dogs do well on Old Roy ( :-? ), some do not. Every dog has a different digestive system (even though they are all the same, they are still different).

We used to feed Purina --- went thru them like a funnel. Purina One doesn't. But, we still won't feed Purina. We switched to Diamond. They like Diamond and do very well. Then had a little 3 month problem with Diamond, seems to be all cleared up now. BUT, we are now feeding Strongpoint, also (along with Diamond puppy). They LOVE it and their poop shows it......clap your hands....if your poop is happy, clap your hands....oh....got off topic.

So, each to his own. Some people condemn others for what they feed their dogs, this is just not right. Not everyone has the resources, finances or ability (not meaning intelligence, other situations exist) to be able to feed Wellness, or a natural diet, cooked meal, etc....

We all do what we do to keep our dogs healthy and us happy.
[b]HEAR HEAR!! Well said, Hobbit![/b]
[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']:lol: okay.....[size=2]you take all the fun out of life! [/size][/quote]

Oh I see how you are. I'll come visit, you guys will feed me peach wine chicken and yams, and then blame it all on HOBBIT or GUY!

[quote]We all do what we do to keep our dogs healthy and us happy.[/quote]
Yes Hobbit, I agree and that was my point as well. I just never got around to actually making a point. 8)
So the dog gets a healthy diet and we get an ulcer over worrying about their diet and first chance dog gets it eats some other animals poop.
Or something thats been dead for two weeks in the woods.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolk9s'][quote]We all do what we do to keep our dogs healthy and us happy.[/quote]
Yes Hobbit, I agree and that was my point as well. I just never got around to actually making a point. 8)
So the dog gets a healthy diet and we get an ulcer over worrying about their diet and first chance dog gets it eats some other animals poop.
Or something thats been dead for two weeks in the woods.

[b]UGG...like the moles and rabbits my dogs catch? [/b][/quote]

Okay, please please forgive me...but I admit I am super tired and just skimmed this. I think the person looking for a food is in the Portland, OR area?

Just wanted to add that Pets1st will deliver to your area, and I was really happy with them. I still get supplements and stuff from them now that I home feed. I think total I was paying just under $70 for 50 lbs of food, and they bring it right to your door which is a plus, especially for me, living on a hill! I fed their holistic chicken and rice. [url]http://www.pets1st.com[/url]

Other ideas for having food shipped (which is super easy and convenient), check out the stores like petco, petsmart, etc online sites. They have some good prices. Then go to [url]www.google.com[/url] and do searches "petco coupon" and "petco coupons" and you can find coupons good for 15% off or free shipping, etc. It's worth a few minutes effort to get these discounts!

Good luck!

Guess I could have noted that they deliver all over the NW and parts of the west. :D I just don't usually recommend the food as it's only available in the lower mainland (Canada) and a small part of the US.

I was totally against getting my food delivered at first, but then the shipping was like $5 and heck I think I'd pay a lot more to have it all brought to me!! I hate lugging stuff up all those stairs. Never buy a house on a hill!! I bet my UPS guy is sooo thrilled that I'm homefeeding because I was getting 50 lbs at a time.

Anyways, don't you have Petco over there? I love the Natural Balance they sell.

Guest Anonymous

Hi there,

I couldn't help but post. I have the cutest little show dog that eats like a king. I cook for him as healthy as I cook for myself. I do however give him part Canidae and part nutro natural puppy. But he eats lots of fresh chicken with carrots, beans and rice. He jumps up and down when I am making his dinner. I also put linatone on his food and a little missing link. My last pekingese ate Nutro mini bites chicken and rice and did great on that. I just found this site today and have been browsing all the boards for awhile.

Take care. :angel: