Dogomania

Matts between toes??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hazel's biggest problem has been MATS! But, (thankfull for her, although she had to endure it bofore, I wonder sometimes how she can still love me! LOL) I've FINALLY learned how to deal with them.
Now of COURSE I've come across another problem! Last time I was trimming the hair on her feet, I found that she actually has mats BETWEEN HER TOES! I tried cutting them out, but they go deep down between the toes!
Any suggestions? I heard once of some type of "oil" that works or something, but I forget what it is now :roll:
Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

How would I SHAVE them out if thier between her toes?? what if I cut her? What if I slip? What if????
I got a shaver thing for x-mas, but haven't looked at it, didn't really plan on shaving her in the winter! LOL it comes with a video though, maybe it'll say some stuff on there. I should watch it today.

Make sure first that they are truly mats not just a bit of mud balled up in the hair. If it's mud, might be able to wash it out.
If it's hair matted, if her feet are dry, try rubbing a bit of cornstarch gently into the matted area, then see if you can use a comb to separate the hairs. The cornstarch should make the hair just a bit slippery and easier to work with.
Jesse has never had mats between his toes, in fact I've been lucky with him as he rarely gets any mats. I do cut the hair between his toes now and then when it gets really long and thick. It's not easy and he hates it so it takes time and LOTS of patience. You do have to be very careful not to cut the skin or stab the dog with the scissors, they tend to not care for that.
You would probably want to break it down, try to clip one mat out, then stop and relax. Having treats nearby will help! If Hazel is good about it and you are staying calm, might be able to do one foot then stop and take a break. Of course you need small scissors, not big ole kitchen shears.

Guest Anonymous

I've been trimming Hazel's feet for years now. So I'm not afraid of hurting her now, it's gotten really easy, and she sits still really good. Just the thought of SHAVING them out scares me. I've never done THAT before. Although I did watch that video yesterday, and it said how, but I think I will not try that until I feel more comfrotable about it.
CORNSTARTCH! That's what it was! Not some type of "oil" thanks! I will try it... well, I'll ask my mom if we have any anyway LOL and if we do, then I'll try it.
I have to bath and groom Haze today, so it will be done today.
Thanks again!

If you are afraid to do it you could always take her to a groomer. It really is not as hard as it may sound. (Though that is easy for me to say as I used to be a groomer). Believe me, it is a 1000 times easier to remove matts with clippers than with scissors. Also, it really is best to get any matts out BEFORE the dog is bathed. Bathing will make the matts tighter, and most likely you will not get all of the soap out if the matted areas which could make her feet matted AND wet AND ichy.

Guest Anonymous

I cut the mats out yesterday BEFORE I bathed her. I always brush her through, and get rid of any mats BEFORE bathing.
It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. They weren't that big, but since I've NEVER used the clippers before, I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out good! :o
I would like to take her to a pro groomer, unfortanatly, they wouldn't be able to get near her!! She's aggressive, if you didn't know.
Plus, there's no groomers in my town, there is in the one next to us, an hour drive away. She's actually a friend of the family, we bring Hazel to her Kennel when we go on holiday. Although Haze doesn't like her. She usually has Denis take care of her... when she's THERE anyway, since last time he was HERE she bit him :-? :(