Dogomania

pit bulls at the pound...

Guest Anonymous

Hello and welcome Tyler :) please please please think twice about breeding your dog. Think of how many unwanted pits, let alone dogs, there are in this world. My advice is to [color=blue]get her spayed[/color], you don't want to have to deal with genetically testing her and the sire, not to mention the possibility of pregnancy complications that could result in you losing your loved pet and/or her pups. Also the gigantic vet bills you will face with vaccinating and checking the pups and your dog after the birth, and extra if there are complications.
You can *never* do too much research if you plan to go through with breeding her! At least you are doing it early (I assume you know that bitches should not be bred until they are at least 2 yrs old, if they are to be bred at all).
Good luck with your decision. :)

Guest Anonymous

Darn Good point BK!! I wouldnt reccoment it but if you do decide to do it, read everybook you can get your hands on, and please dont think that you are going to make money off of it. Dog breeding is expenzive thats is why actual breeders do if for a love of the dogs not for the money. people that breed for maoney have like 30 dogs that they have to pump puppies out of to actually make a profit. Dont believe the hype of having to breed a dog before you spay her or anything like that, there are many females that are never bred that are perfectly happy, and with bigger dogs you dont have to worry about her "coming into season" on your couch, bed, floor and anywhere else, not to mention IT STINKS!!!

But seriously her heritage is why she is so god with people, the big time fighting lines are still culled pretty hard and people aggression is not tolerated. that also explains the dog agression. Do you want the liability of breeding a known fighting dog, not knowing what the potential owners are goint to do with the pups, no matter what they tell you they can have alternative motives. BE careful and be wise.
:black:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, I know what you mean about not knowing where the pup is going. After I got my dog I found the guy I bought her from fights his dogs. I will think long and hard before I breed her if I do. I was only going to because I have friends and family who want pups from her because of her temperment.

I have to make a point here - yes APBT's are known to be fighting dogs. Yes, it has been bred into them. Yes, they can be dangerous.

BUT - every dog is an individual, just like every person. They are more likely to be dog aggresive, yes. Some things are breed-specific.

Labs like to run...mine escape whenever they get the chance. that's breed-specific.... but...if you want to inbtroduce a PB into your family, then I would go with the suggestion that you get one who's personality has already been determined. A slightly older one. The PB next door has a border collies as a playmate and they never fight. The BC is the submissive of the two, that's why.

If you have dogs that are very dominant and wont be willing to give up the top position, it may be an issue. You have to take all these things into consideration before making a decision. And letting the dogs meet (supervised) would be your best bet.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gooeydog'][quote name='Anonymous']all these people forget to tell you that the reason pit bulls are dog agressive is because they lead it on (the owners) if any of you pit bull breeders so called no about game dogs and your posting that no matter how you raise them they will be dog agressive that is totally untrue I am a dog trainer for problem dogs I raise and breed pit bulls. and have met LOTS of breeders and I see how they treat them they keep them on chains (log) feed them alot less , hardley interact them with other dogs , and make a noise like (Skkkkskkk) for there dogs to watch other dogs , my pit bulls are fine they are together all the time , I can take them with me anywhere . and yes they are Game pit bulls. so it really ticks me off seeing someone say pit bulls shouldnt go into parks are be kids pets or treat them like there a different kind of dog all together.[/quote]
Sooo... you obviously have gametested your dogs, if you're so sure that they're game, right? But of course, you don't encourage dog aggression in your dogs, right? That's a [i]really[/i] amusing concept :lol: . The reason many pit bulls are dog aggressive is because the "breed" (including APBTs and to a lesser extent AmStaffs in this case) was selectively bred for over a century for fighting... not trained. The drive to fight is in many of them, the same as the drive to retrieve/carry is in most retrievers. It may never manifest, or not be as obvious in some cases, but it's almost always there. How do you, a "knowledgeable pit bull breeder, and problem dog trainer", explain away the pit bulls that are raised from birth in a loving environment, with tons of socialization, then at the "magic age" (usually 1-3 yrs) suddenly start displaying dog aggression. These dogs have never been goaded on by their owners, but are acting merely upon instinct. Similarly, how do you explain the dogs that have been beaten, fought, etc, yet still are not outwardly dog aggressive? It all comes down to genetics, some have innate dog aggression, some don't, and some have a varying degree of dog aggression. Pit bull owners should know not to let their dogs loose in dog parks, because if even the slightest incident occurs, their dog will be blamed, and may ultimately be killed because of their owners stubborness/ignorance. Even if the pit bull won't start a fight, most also won't back down if they're caught up in one, which can lead to serious/fatal injuries to the other dogs. Children are, in most cases, not suitable owners for pit bulls... they are not responsible enough, and not strong enough to restrain their dog or break up a fight should one occur. It's foolish at best to tell people that pit bulls are "just like any other dog", because they're not, and rumors like that cause as much damage to the breeds as the "lockjaw" and "turning" myths.[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']I take my Bulls running beside my bike and a simple "leave it" from me will suffice to keep them a safe distance from any other dog...not that I don't trust mine [i]not [/i]to fight BUT I don't trust the other silly dog NOT to offer![/quote] I have a pitty, his name is teddy ya know for teddy bear, and i agree i know he won't start anything i am more concerned about the other dog starting something, my parents dog is a lab cross and he is human and dog aggressive.. my dog backs down because he knows better or maybe because he is a fluke and just a big weenie but i see the same issue arising and it is always a fear which sucks
that my dog because of his breed is looked down on but as to another question ted has lived with and lived without other dogs and he gets along really good and he goes to the dog park once a week plus his regular walks

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

the truth of the matter is that pit bull and other bully breeds LOVE to fight. they have been bred for this for hundreds and hundreds of years. so what
hounds LOVE to hunt and other dogs LOVE to do what the have been bred
to do. any dog no matter what the breed can be trained. dont be fooled by
the foolishness of fools. pit bulls and other bully breeds have been used as
show dogs, police dogs, and the list go's on and on. in my home town long
ago there was a pit bull that was used to find lost people. this was a time when many southern states did not have laws against dog fighting, or did not inforce them. the point im trying to make is this dog was also a fighting dog. but when he was searching for lost people he roamed free around other dogs and never was involved in a fight. jocko was no one of a kind pit bull. he was just a dog. so i geuss what im saying is go get your puppy and raise him well. because a dog is a dog a bully breed is not some freak that cant be handled. he is just a dog that wants love

Guest Anonymous

How long ago was this that there was a pitty search dog in your area? Are you in England? My pitty is in training for Search & Rescue right now and she is definately in the minority! There are only a handful training for this work here in the states.

Guest Anonymous

Oh Lisa that is so sad. :cry: I really hope it does not come to that here. There are many people working against it, but it is so hard. We should all form some massive pit bull conference somewhere and launch some huge movement...I love my pitty and there are so many responsible owners that are losing out on owning such a wonderful breed. Hopefully by my girl doing the work that she does it will help a little...

Guest Anonymous

Ah, tried it, too. Well poopie. I am having puter issues. It was hosed about a week ago and hasn't been the same since. :crazyeyes: