Dogomania

looking for a Bullmastiff pup....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,
First let me say that this msgboard seems to be a great site for information.

My wife and I got married 2 years ago. We both had large dogs in our respective homes before we got married. I had Alsatians (2) and Naomi had boxers (3). Naomi absolutely loves Boxers, but we have decided that they might be a bit too boisterous for our home. So we have investigated all different types of dogs, and decided to go for a Bullmastiff.

Unfortunately, we have now been looking for a Fawn pup for 3 months now :(. We have contacted about 12 breeders all around the country (cathaljay, hillderstone....etc etc) and have had no luck finding a fawn pup from a good breeder. Although we both don

Did you check out the bullmastiff national club? Usually the national clubs have a list of things to check for, health testing pertinent to the breed etc.
What part of the country are you in?

Sometimes it just takes time! I waited a long time to find the perfect breeder and get my puppy, and although the wait almost drove me batty (seriously LOL I dreamed puppy constantly!), it was soo worth it in the end. When she finally whelped and when we waited those last 8 weeks, and we finally got to bring our baby home, it was sooo exciting!

So what have these breeders said to you? No pups, or have they told you when their next breeding is and how to get on a list for one of the pups? Are you willing to wait for a pup, or were you trying to find a good breeder who has one available now? (kinda hard)

And don't forget...while bullmastiffs might not be as high energy...they are about 10 times as POWERFUL and strong as any boxer.... It takes nothing for them to flatten you then hold you down and slobber you to death.... ;) you won't have a chance... :) HAHAHAHA

Hello Shyboy,
If you contact the kennel club, they have a list of puppies available,
pet plan also do a puppy line. The KC can also give you the sectreary of the breed clubs name and number too.
good luck on your quest :lol:
Keep us all informed
Roo

• 1 month later...

Hey Poofy don't put him off lol.

Shyboy....Im not going to say you have made the right decision choosing a Bullmastiff as the breed might not be suited to you has they are others.....depending if you could cope with having a fully grown 9 stone Bullmastiff pounding around your home. The breed needs careful upbringing has they are prone to:

HIP DYSPLASIA. being over exercised from a young pup or obese.

BLOAT. eating, drinking before and after exercise (at least 1 hour) is a must.....both are serious conditions which need urgent attention from the vet.

HEALTH. is also known in the breed, (acne, ear infections, skin allergies) but these can be cleared up with treatment.

SOCIALIZING. especially males whether they are neutered or not......they can still become dominant with strange dogs.

STUBBORNESS. happens often. You tell them to do one thing.....they decide to do the opposite, but if bought up well, showing them who is there boss and not allowing them to take over (like sleeping on the couch or bed etc from a puppy and then decide that its time for the dog to sleep on the floor, when he becomes adult) because this wont happen. If you show and teach the pup the right way before he reaches adult (USING THE WORD NO) then you will have a friend there for life....because you wont have no aggro with them lol
MIND YOU WITH THERE SAD FACE, IT WILL BE HARD TO GIVE IN!

The kennels you mentioned are good breeders. The breeder of Cathaljay uses the Tartuffe line which is where I had my Bullmastiff from. I am also quite sure that Hilderstone does too.

I could put you in touch with the Tartuffe Kennels in Scotland, you could e-mail Angela or Janice and ask if they have a fawn pup....but be ready for all the questions because they only sell there puppies to excellent homes and if they dont think your right for there babies, then they wont let you have one :D You might have to wait though has there is a list for them. I would love one of Karinas myself.....she is beautiful!

[url]http://www.tartuffebullmastiffs.co.uk[/url]

Tartuffe Puppy...reminds me of Charlie as a pup.
[img]http://www.tartuffebullmastiffs.co.uk/oldf.jpg[/img]

another Tartuffe Puppy
[img]http://www.tartuffebullmastiffs.co.uk/puppie2.jpg[/img]

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ohiofem44511']my girlfriend just had a litter of puppies.Dawstin Bullmastiff's. Check out her web site. Her name is Dawn and tell her Antoinette referred you. They have a litter of pups now. All come AKC registerable too.[/quote]
I wuldnt buy from them. Unless there is more done with the dogs. No speaking of health tests or shows or anything.

• 1 month later...

Getting a Bully was the best pet investment I've made.. An expensive one but a great friend, loyal and loving and just as lazy as me! :lol:

Good points were made by Shannon in regards to the issues that big dogs face: Another sad fact is that their life expectancy is much less than smaller dogs. Typically 7-12 years..

For anyone who does get one of these massive beasts or any dog that they have trouble with, check out barkbusters. They may or may not be in your neck of the woods, but they are a great resource to solving problems and teaching you how to deal with dogs on dogs terms.

Good luck..

• 2 months later...