Dogomania

Man goes to prison for murdering dog.

eric

Copied from CNN. Merry Christmas, @sshole.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A man who threw his girlfriend's dog off her 23rd-floor balcony was sentenced Thursday to 12 years in prison for animal cruelty and other charges related to stalking the woman.

John Jefferson, 43, pleaded guilty December 5 to robbery, burglary, stalking, criminal contempt and animal cruelty. The judge said two of the 12 years were for the dog, Ribsy.

"I've had pets all my life," Justice James Yates said. "I was just as sickened as anyone else when I read the stories."

The judge also ordered five years of parole supervision for Jefferson and signed an order of protection that directs him to stay away from ex-girlfriend Eugenia Miller for the next 17 years.

Jefferson tossed the 16-year-old black and white terrier-poodle mix to its death on May 26 during an argument with Miller. Ribsy landed in the concrete plaza below and died instantly.

Jefferson also barricaded himself inside the apartment and threatened Miller with a knife, police said at the time.

"I am sorry," Jefferson said in court Thursday. "I was totally messed up, emotionally disturbed. I just lost it."

Jefferson pleaded guilty to burglary in connection with his forcible entry into the apartment, and his plea to the robbery charge was for a May 22 knifepoint holdup. The stalking charge arose from his harassment of Miller earlier.

Jefferson's lawyer, Russell Paisley, said his client's actions were those of someone under the influence of drugs.

[quote name='eric']"I've had pets all my life," Justice James Yates said. "I was just as sickened as anyone else when I read the stories." [/quote]

Hope he would do the same thing if it was a straight-up animal cruelty case, and not let the bastard get away with a slap on the wrist. :roll:

Unfortunately, very doubtful. We had a case here a few years ago where a "breeder" got so fed up with one of her dogs running away that she tied the poor thing to the bumper of her car and took the dog for a "drive".

The poor dog suffered all sorts of injuries and the Humane Society was called in. At the end of the day, she got a fine and was able to regain possession of her dog as *it* was her *property*.

I think we need a shift in the current laws and stop seeing animal cruelty as an isolated act but rather as part of a larger problem.

Cruelty to animals (esp. dogs and cats) is a strong indicator that this person is likely to move on to more serious crimes later on. Do some research on serial killers and you will find that a majority of them tortured and killed animals when younger.

Jeffrey Dahlmer, as an example, was brutally killing neighborhood cats and dissecting them as a teenager. In my opinion, someone who enjoys torturing an animal is someone who is a borderline sociopath and is going to graduate to hurting people.

For a purely logical, its just an animal point of view, punishing someone for torturing an animal is a way of telling that particular individual that this type of behaviour is wrong and that society will not tolerate it, regardless of the victim.

In Canada, the federal government is trying to pass a new law which would increase the maximum prison time for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 years. I think this would be a good start.

[quote name='bk_blue'][quote name='eric']"I've had pets all my life," Justice James Yates said. "I was just as sickened as anyone else when I read the stories." [/quote]

Hope he would do the same thing if it was a straight-up animal cruelty case, and not let the bastard get away with a slap on the wrist. :roll:[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='eric']Unfortunately, very doubtful. We had a case here a few years ago where a "breeder" got so fed up with one of her dogs running away that she tied the poor thing to the bumper of her car and took the dog for a "drive".

The poor dog suffered all sorts of injuries and the Humane Society was called in. At the end of the day, she got a fine and was able to regain possession of her dog as *it* was her *property*.

I think we need a shift in the current laws and stop seeing animal cruelty as an isolated act but rather as part of a larger problem.

Cruelty to animals (esp. dogs and cats) is a strong indicator that this person is likely to move on to more serious crimes later on. Do some research on serial killers and you will find that a majority of them tortured and killed animals when younger.

Jeffrey Dahlmer, as an example, was brutally killing neighborhood cats and dissecting them as a teenager. In my opinion, someone who enjoys torturing an animal is someone who is a borderline sociopath and is going to graduate to hurting people.

[b][color=red]There is a site out there...somewhere...that lists a lot of well known pyschopaths/mass murders and their previous *relationships* with animals and the assult they did to these animals.[/color][/b]

For a purely logical, its just an animal point of view, punishing someone for torturing an animal is a way of telling that particular individual that this type of behaviour is wrong and that society will not tolerate it, regardless of the victim.

In Canada, the federal government is trying to pass a new law which would increase the maximum prison time for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 years. I think this would be a good start.

[quote name='bk_blue'][quote name='eric']"I've had pets all my life," Justice James Yates said. "I was just as sickened as anyone else when I read the stories." [/quote]

Hope he would do the same thing if it was a straight-up animal cruelty case, and not let the bastard get away with a slap on the wrist. :roll:[/quote][/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Jeffery Dahmer displayed the impaled skulls of animals in his yard and was fascinated with dead animals.
Ted Bundy spent his youth with a grandfather who tormented animals.
Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler) trapped dogs and cats in orange crates and shot arrows into the boxes.
Patrick Sherrill (disgruntled postal worker who killed 14 co-workers) stole local pets for his own dog to mutilate and kill.
Richard Allen Davis (killer of Polly Klaas) as a youngster set cats on fire.

[url]http://www.microxl.com/hsociety/difference.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

FROM THE VICE-PRESIDENT
During Violence Prevention Week, September 20-25, the Ontario SPCA will host its third annual Violence Prevention Conference in Toronto, September 22nd and 23rd. The theme of the Conference: The Link Between Animal Cruelty and Human Violence.

This latest conference is part of an ongoing campaign by OSPCA to educate the public and to convince lawmakers, law enforcement officers, social workers, health professionals, animal care workers, members of animal protection services and educators that there is a direct relationship between animal abuse and human violence.

Extensive research on the part of psychologists and psychiatrists, the Humane Society of the United States and the FBI reveals compelling evidence linking animal and human abuse.

When the FBI's National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime created psychological profiles of suspects in 1,200 cases of violent crime, it discovered a clear pattern to suggest that today's animal torturer can become tomorrow's serial killer. It was found that those who had been involved in abusing animals were six times more likely to be involved in violent crimes against humans.

The FBI now uses this link in their investigations, pointing out that most serial killers "practiced" on animals first.

Albert DeSalvo, self-confessed "Boston Strangler", who killed 13 women, had in his youth, trapped dogs and cats in orange crates and shot arrows through the boxes. David Berkowitz, New York's "Son of Sam", who was found guilty of 13 murders, had several times been reported to police for shooting neighborhood dogs. Brenda Spencer, at 16, killed two children and wounded eight at an elementary school in San Diego in 1979. From the age of six she had abused cats and dogs, often setting them on fire.

Carroll Edward Cole, one of the most prolific killers in U.S. History, was executed in 1985 for five of 35 murders of which he was accused. Cole confessed that his first act of violence as a child was to strangle a puppy. The "Milwaukee Cannibal", Jeffery Dahmer, as a youth shocked friends by decapitating dogs and impaling their heads on stakes. Mass murderer Ted Bundy, executed in 1989, was linked to a number of graves filled with animal bones.

The list seems endless: Arthur Shawcross, James Oliver Huberty,Edmund Emil Kemper,Robert Alton Harris, Patrick Sherrill, David Carpenter, and Canadians Clifford Olsen, Marc Lepine and Paul Bernardo - all killers with a history of animal abuse.

According to Guy Hodge of the Humane Society of the United States, animal abuse is often the harbinger of greater tragedies. "Once the offender finds that animal abuse is no longer exciting," says Hodge, "the violence may escalate to such crimes as assault, rape or murder."

In 1998 OSPCA conducted a survey of women's shelters which revealed that 61% of women surveyed that had lefi abusive situations had pets abused or killed by their partners; 43% had pets threatened by their partners; 48% reported a family history of animal abuse; 48% reported that concern for the safety of their pets prevented them from leaving the situation sooner.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association lists cruelty to animals as one of the behaviors signalling conduct disorder. Clinical evidence indicates that animal cruelty is one of the symptoms usually seen at theearliest stages of conduct disorder.

Researchers say that animal cruelty committed by any member of a family, whether parent or child, often means that child abuse occurs in the family. (Dr. Randal Lockwood, HSUS).

Despite mounting evidence supporting the link between animal and human abuse, law makers and law enforcement officers are reluctant to admit that such proof exists.

Over the years LAWS has experienced first hand the indifference of the police and the courts to animal abuse. The Society has been involved in several court cases; only two were decided in our favor and our victories could be attributed primarily to the amount of negative media publicity afforded the defendants.

Recently, when a Perth citizen found the charred body of a cat and reported the discovery to the police, she encountered complete indifference. Although it was obvious that the animal had been deliberately incinerated matches surrounded the body) the attitude of the police officer was, "we're concerned with crimes against humans."

Give the cat killer a little time and perhaps the police will be dealing with a crime against a human: maybe a small child will be the perpetrator's next victim.

Harsher sentences under the Criminal Code for animal abusers may not be the complete answer, but it's a good beginning.

LAWS would appreciate circulation of the enclosed petition, which should be returned when completed to LAWS, Box 256, Lanark, Ontario KOG IKO.

Dawn Trent
[url]http://www.falls.igs.net/~animals/newsletter_fall99.html[/url]

Small world. LAWS (Lanark Animal Welfare Society) is where we got Zeke. This is the shelter I was talking about in my previous posts. Its about 30 minutes from my place.

[quote name='gigishiba']LAWS would appreciate circulation of the enclosed petition, which should be returned when completed to LAWS, Box 256, Lanark, Ontario KOG IKO.

Dawn Trent
[url]http://www.falls.igs.net/~animals/newsletter_fall99.html[/url][/quote]

The ironic thing is that there have been several recent studies which show that young offenders/inmates that are given a dog to train and/or look after are much less likely to re-offend.

I forget the exact numbers, but with young offenders it was something like a 70% reduction.

Jefferson's lawyer, Russell Paisley, said his client's actions were those of someone under the influence of drugs.

It would be so much cheaper if they overdosed him his favourite type
wouldn't it :lol:

Nah. Easy way out. Better to have him share a cell with some enormous, frighteningly well-endowed gentlemen who thinks "he's real purty" and whose favorite movie is Deliverance.

"C'mon boy, squeal like a pig!"

[quote name='roo']Jefferson's lawyer, Russell Paisley, said his client's actions were those of someone under the influence of drugs.

It would be so much cheaper if they overdosed him his favourite type
wouldn't it :lol:[/quote]