Dogomania

border collies anyone

Guest Anonymous

There are herding training groups around here, still Canada and only about 3000km away :lol: , why don't you pop on over. There are probably groups near you as well. Most participants here have to rely on rented sheep. In fact there is a farmer 'round here who has a small herd of sheep just for this pupose - rental sheep for events. What do you suppose that is listed as in the yellow pages? :o

I have a border collie/golden retriever mix. And even though he's not a herding mix, no one told him that he wasen't a pure border collie. Although he is a little slower about commands becasue he so calm and never gets excited. My aunt and uncle have about 15 sheep on their farm, and they live about 2 hours away.

I think BK (bc/acd X) would be an ok working dog if he was ever trained. He has a lot of natural instinct- both herding and nipping (so probably more suited to cattle than sheep). But no stamina- anything above 24C or below 15C and he's either flopped up against the house or curled up pathetically in his bed giving the evil eye to everyone. :roll:

Sounds like Tyr in a way. He looks menacing and tough, but get him close enough to any dog/person/moving object, and he's all wags and whines. And even though he's twice Kavik's size and weight, he doesn't throw it around much. Kavik is still the Alpha :)

[quote name='luckychaos']I have a border collie/golden retriever mix. And even though he's not a herding mix [b][color=red]NOT? He IS a herding mix --- a Border Collie is a herding bred dog. Did you mean -- "even though he's a herding mix"?[/color][/b]

no one told him that he wasen't a pure border collie. Although he is a little slower about commands becasue he so calm and never gets excited. My aunt and uncle have about 15 sheep on their farm, and they live about 2 hours away.[/quote]

[quote name='Lord_Pik']Interesting.. make a really smart breed that doesn't get super-hyper and make them think they are a border-collie through and through.. :hmmmm: Sounds like an awesome working dog[/quote]

Actually, it would not be an awsome working dog. The mix would dilute out some of the natural working (herding) ability. All you'd be left with is a dog that may have inherited *some* desire to work, but not enough to be a working dog. OR, no desire at all.

Many, many BC's do not get hyper. A BC that is overly hyper and just plain hyper is BAD breeding. A working dog needs to be energetic, NOT hyper.

Guest Anonymous

One day when we were driving Hazel to Braside Kennels then we got a flat tired right beside a sheep pen. Hazel was good, just slept... but we were so bored, my mom was joking around and was like "Why don't you go play with Hazel and the sheep for a while, I'm sure she'll have fun!" Oh yeah, and the owner of the sheep too :roll: :lol:
When I called her breeder and told him she was aggressive, he was like "Did she bite the sheep?" and I was like "no... we don't own sheep... my mom told you we were keeping her as a pet" and he was like "oh okay. But she didn't bite any sheep?" and I was like "no, but she did bite a person" and he was like "oh, okay." Like, right... Although he was the one to "make" my baby girl, I wouldn't recomend him to anyone looking for a pup. He's not exactlly the best breeder, and mom just recently informed me that he was probably a BYB :x :roll: All he cared about was whether she bit a stupid sheep or not, he didn't even care that she bit a person! :evil:

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']One day when we were driving Hazel to Braside Kennels then we got a flat tired right beside a sheep pen. Hazel was good, just slept... but we were so bored, my mom was joking around and was like "Why don't you go play with Hazel and the sheep for a while, I'm sure she'll have fun!" Oh yeah, and the owner of the sheep too :roll: :lol:
When I called her breeder and told him she was aggressive, he was like "Did she bite the sheep?" and I was like "no... we don't own sheep... my mom told you we were keeping her as a pet" and he was like "oh okay. But she didn't bite any sheep?" and I was like "no, but she did bite a person" and he was like "oh, okay." Like, right... Although he was the one to "make" my baby girl, I wouldn't recomend him to anyone looking for a pup. He's not exactlly the best breeder, and mom just recently informed me that he was probably a BYB :x :roll: All he cared about was whether she bit a stupid sheep or not, he didn't even care that she bit a person! :evil:[/quote]

Okay....let me try to explain this to you and please don't take this personally --- it's not meant to be.

First, anyone who sells a herding bred dog as a pet is just plain asking for trouble. A herding bred dog with a strong desire for herding does [b]NOT[/b] make a good pet (and should NEVER, EVER be sold to a pet family). Many will argue with me, that's fine. If you have a pet that is herding bred, than it should be neutered/spayed and NOT allowed to pass on his/her's NO desire to work genes. Our working dogs are also companions, but NOT pet's. I wouldn't have a pet as obnoxious-pain-in-the-butt-want-to-check-the-stock-at-3am-in the rain-non-stop-working-dogs as I have now. They *look* for something to pen or un-pen, gather, fetch, move, (harass, intimate, terrorize, etc...) 24/7/365 and in their sleep. If they can't get to it, they go thru it! If they aren't working, can't work, aren't allowed to work, they are depressed, bored, destructive, ill tempered, grouchy.....just nasty-bitchey-dogs. It's what their genetics scream and demand them to do. It's the forever, relentless internal tug to do something. You can't turn it off, you can't change it.

The breeder was wrong for selling a BC/Aussie working bred dog to a pet only family. It wasn't fair to the dog, wasn't fair to both of the breeds and wasn't fair to the pet owner. He was wanting to know if she bit the sheep to see if she is livestock aggressive or has the courage to move stock. It's not that he wasn't interested in whether of not she bit a person ---- it just means more to a herding dog breeder if the dog shows what it takes to move livestock. Understand?

Guest Anonymous

I understand, and totally agree with Hobbit. Hazel IS spayed, so don't worry about that! If I knew HALF of what I know now about dogs back then I wouldn't have gotten her! I would have probably gotten a Lab or something!
I am kept busy by Hazel, I try to keep her busy, (why do you think she knows over 70 commands? :lol: ) and keep her out of this distructive mode.
Although I aggree, yes since it's in her to herd, she does have a desire to do so, but since she's never been near sheep, or herd them, she doesn't really have as strong a drive for it as your dogs may have. However, I love this dog with every inch of my heart, which is why I try so hard to keep her busy, teaching her new things, always working her mind and body.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have a border collie too :) :) . Baca is smooth, black- white and he's four (five) years old.
This's his photo :D :D

[img]http://republika.pl/milenek/Baca/Baca_profil.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='luckychaos']I have a border collie/golden retriever mix. And even though he's not a herding mix [b][color=red]NOT? He IS a herding mix --- a Border Collie is a herding bred dog. Did you mean -- "even though he's a herding mix"?[/color][/b]

no one told him that he wasen't a pure border collie. Although he is a little slower about commands becasue he so calm and never gets excited. My aunt and uncle have about 15 sheep on their farm, and they live about 2 hours away.[/quote][/quote]

I ment he's not ALL herding breeds like a BC/Aussie or a BC/Kelpie.

• 2 weeks later...