Dogomania

Dremeling nails

gooeydog

Goo was fine, but she's used to power tools sounds since she's always following me down into my dad's workshop when he's working. She actually fell alseep the last time I was doing them :lol: . The others were afraid of the dremel (only when it was on, they were fine when it was off), so I turned it on, got out the peanut butter and a plate, and started luring them in close to the dremel. When they didn't seem worried about it anymore, I had my friend hold them and the plate while I took a little off of each nail. They were so busy eating that they didn't even care about the dremel. So far I've done Annie's and Goo's by myself, but haven't tried Casey's and Joey's without help yet. I've just done a little at a time, so they don't get tired of sitting there. When you get to the quick, you can see it before you hit it. Start off on the lowest power (I know, common sense :wink: ), and increase when they're comfortable. I also put a wad of cotton in each ear before starting, so maybe it quiets the noise a little.

Guest Anonymous

Both of my Dobes have been accustomed to having their nails done with a dremel from the time they were tiny pups. All the Doberman show and performance folks I know use a dremel for nails simply because it's safer. Dobes have black nails and you can't see the quick. If you clip, you have to guess where the quick is and if you guess wrong, you've got a bloody mess and a hurt dog who will quite understandably not want to cooperate with having nails done in the future.

A dremel removes a tiny bit of material from the nail. If you get near the quick you're able to see a "pinpoint" of blood and stop immediately. This saves the dog a lot of pain and makes doing nails very easy. You do have to dremel more often than someone who clips nails. I can now do both of my dogs once a week and keep the nails in great shape but, when they were pups they really needed to be done about every other day.

Rescue Dobes frequently have not been exposed to a dremel but, it really isn't a problem to switch over to a dremel with an older dog if you do it in the correct manner. If you're interested in learning how to dremel a dog's nails go to [url]www.doberdawn.com[/url] There are very good instructions as well as photos there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a Jack Russell named Maisy and a Lab/Rott mix named Gretchen and they both have black nails and are very skitzy when I get near them with clippers. So I take mine to our Groomer and she dremels them and only charges $5 per dog. $5 is worth it to me. The first time she used the dremel on them they were scared but now they are fine with it.

Debbie :wink:

[quote name='gigishiba']We used to ONLY dremel ours, but they scream so much that we moved to the clippers since it's faster and not near as stinky![/quote]

I did Kato's with the Dremel the other day and he preferred it much better then the clippers. I didn't think it was stinky, but I need to wear safety goggles because little chips fly off and go right for the eyes of course.

:D Using a dremel is so much better for the dog. I tried to use the clippers but I would have to have hedge clippers to get through my dogs nails. I came across dobiedawn's dremel directions and they are fool proof. My IG loves to have her's done, my female RR is still a little timid and my male RR is finally getting better at it after six months, (he's touch sensitive). I would definately follow her directions on getting your baby use to them, as I skipped the week long one a day and jumped right in which was not a good idea. You try holding down a 6 month old, 60lb. RR who's an Alpha personality, probably why she's still a little hesitant at a year old. Anyways, I thought I would re-add a link to the site. [url]http://doberdawn.com[/url] :angel: