Dogomania

Is this fox terrier for us?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am in desperate need of some advice. We have the opportunity to get a male wire hair fox terrier from my grandfather. He has decided he can no longer keep him. He (the dog) is about 18 months old. He currently lives with his brother on a ranch in Texas. He has had very little obedience training. We, however, live in the city of Colorado Springs, CO. We have a large yard. I have been reading that fox terriers do not generally get along with other animals. Is this always true? We have a border collie who loves other dogs, and would love the opportunity to have someone else to play with. We also have two cats. The border collie leaves them alone, can we train the terrier to do the same? We also have two children, ages 6 and 4, who have met the dog and they all love each other.

I would really like to take this dog, and I am willing to put in as much time as it takes to do the training, I am home during the day, and can spend a lot of time with him. Am I just dreaming, thinking that I can intigrate him into our household, or can it be done? I really need some insight from people who have more knowledge of this breed than I do.

Thanks Joni

He should be fine with your BC unless either is dog agressive, however terriers are bred to hunt and kill small animals (cats), it might be possible to seperate them, but it's like asking a hound not to smell.

If you decide you cant place him yourself look for a fox terrier rescue who would take the dog instead of taking him to the humane society or spca which would probably need to put the dog down sooner than the rescue, infact i dont think ive seen a rescue that euthinizes dogs at all unless its sick.

Why did your grandfather decide to give him up if i might ask?

Joni , if your prepared to put effort into training the dog then I dont see why it cant be done I think j/russels get their anti social reputation because they have small dog syndrome (think they are bigger than they really are and try to prove it ) my sister has two jack russels and a kelpie and they get along fine it would of course depend on the dogs involved As far as small animals she doesnt have any problems and she has free roaming chickens and cats :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Bently's Dad - My grandmother passed away in January of this year, and it was really her and the rest of the family (not me, though) that wanted the dogs. They are littermates, two males, and are pretty wild. They are very sweet, however, I don't think my grandpa will have too much trouble relocating them. I really don't have anything to do with where they go, I just thought that if I could train one of them (we absolutely can't take both) to fit in our family, then he would make a nice addition, plus our BC would love it. He's an only dog right now. My grandpa never really bonded with the dogs, and doesn't spend much time with them, this is why he's decided not to keep them. - Joni

Sounds like you have the time, the desire, and the understanding that this dog might take some patience and work. I am inclined to say yes, give it your best shot. When you first introduce the dog and cats, make sure the dog is on a secure collar and lead. Keep the intro very low key. Take it very slow. Tell the dog that the cats belong to YOU. Say 'they are MINE' leave em alone! Now if the cats bolt the dogs natural instinct is gonna be to chase, careful there. Being that you said the dog has generally a sweet temperament, I think its worth trying. Unless the dog just settles in immediately and minds his manners I'd expect to need a lot of patience, restricted access until trust is established and a positive reward system.
Good luck with your decision.