Dogomania

Has anyone ever worked in a nursing home with a resident dog

GSDmom

I am heading up a committee in our nursing home to purchase a resident dog and want to make sure we cover all the bases so everything works out well for residents and pooch.
Can you get dogs with special training to pull wheelchairs and such or do you do this yourselves? We plan to rescue if possible. What type of set-up is best? Do you set up a private place for the dog to be in once in awhile for privacy or do you let him sleep in residents rooms (ones that like dogs and want it to)? How much maintence training do you have to do? Do the residents do most of the cares or do staff? Staff has no problem taking care of the dog, but maybe we should share responsibility with residents. What are some problems you have noticed and what did you do to fix them? Where is the best place to find a dog? Thanks in advance!

No experience with it, but here's a site with soem people who might be able to help you... [url]http://www.dogearsandpaws.com/[/url] They are in my area (MD), but might be able to help you find someone near you. There are places that will train assistance dogs for you, but you can also do it yourself if you have the time and patience. Maybe you could have a sign-up sheet for caring for the dog. That way everyone who wants to can have a chance.

Guest Anonymous

I've no experience w/this at all, but I know several nursing homes have a resident dog who belongs to one of the residents. I do know that each state has laws governing animals in hospitals. An idea I had was to contact one of the service dog organizations (guidedogs, etc.). Not all of their dogs that have been trained are suitable to the job they are to be doing, but are well trained in most areas. You might want to contact some of them and perhaps they can guide you in the right direction. Good luck, it sounds very interesting. The only concern I have is that not all personnel in these institutions are fond of dogs, so I would think a concerted effort must be made and followed so that the person in charge in a 24 hr. rotation must be an animal lover and sensitive to the needs of dogs.

Great idea :) . The hostel/nursing home where my nan is has a Spaniel of some type as the resident dog (it gets spoiled rotten by all the oldies). I'm not sure of its living arrangements though, it belongs to the co-ordinator of the place so don't know if it goes home each night or stays around.
I think there are some dogs that just *know* that there are frail people or little children around and they behave accordingly (Blitz, who is hyper most of the time, is great with old people and kids). Good luck and let us know how you get on. 8)

Guest Anonymous

I know there are places that train for wheelchairs....I watch way to much Dogs With Jobs on National Geographic (digital cable). I would think it would be pricey to have on already trained, though. Not sure....