Dogomania

A weird question..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This may seem weird, but, anyway, I have a mini dachshund that I was hoping to breed and she is about 3 years old now and she is not spayed YET. And I have paired her up with a mini dachshund a while ago when she was in heat. But the problem is, she was not socialized properly when she was a pup so she was very "mean" to the male. The male dog stayed at my house for 3 days and I calculated exactly when she would be ready to breed but she wouldn't even let the male near her, same with all other dogs she has met. Sometimes she even has milk coming out of her teats and then she burrows in my closet like she is going to have puppies, but nothing happens, so I was wondering, does anybody know anything about this, or should I just spay her and forget about it? :agrue:

Guest Anonymous

They have not mated yet, and I am 100% sure because I watched them every single minute. I even hid behind another room looking throught thru the window to see if my presence was a distraction. And plus, it was a sort of a long time ago when she was about 2 1/2 years old.

Guest Anonymous

I don't know that I would breed her at all. If she's not socialized that well, she may not be a very good mother even if she was bred. She could possibly be scared of her puppies or aggressive towards them.

But, if you REALLY want to breed her, artificial insemination would be something to think about. Your vet will probably do it, and you won't have to worry about potential fights between her and the male. LMK how it works out and if it works or not! ;)

Guest Anonymous

ok thanx, but i don't think I would want to go that far though. One of the reasons why I wanted to breed her was because I thought if she spent time with her own children then she might get along with them and she can finally have a furry friend in her life. But the thing is, she may act like shes aggressive, but she's never bitten anyone or anything in her whole life before and all she really does is bark a lot and run away from other dogs. She hardly ever growls too. So, you say she might be aggressive towards her puppies, i'll take that into consideration. THankyou.

Guest Anonymous

She may be fine with her puppies. You never can tell! You may try calling her breeder and asking about her dam. Usually if the dam is a good mother, the daughters will be, too. I've been around many dogs having pups, so if you ever have any questions, LMK! :) I know a few tricks. :P If you'd rather not AI her, I have heard of people giving them a light sedative and holding them while breeding. Hope it works out!

Guest Anonymous

I bought my dog from a home breeder that lives about 2 hours away from me and I've seemed to have lost her number. But, I have met the Dam before and she was very friendly and the breeder bred her dogs often. And the dam had many litters before too so I'm assuming she was a good mother if she had a bunch of successful litters. Thanx for your help.

[quote name='Bliss']I bought my dog from a home breeder that lives about 2 hours away from me and I've seemed to have lost her number.

You should be able to get hold of her address from the pedigree or registration papers, or maybe from the internet :lol:

But, I have met the Dam before and she was very friendly and the breeder bred her dogs often.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
And the dam had many litters before too so I'm assuming she was a good mother if she had a bunch of successful litters.

How many litters did this poor bitch have :x (sounds like a back yard mill to me) Just because she had loads of litters does not mean she is a good mother or specimin of the breed :o
Thanx for your help.[/quote][u][b][/b][/u][b][u][i]

I would not breed from her, try taking her to classes to socialize her with other dogs. love her for what she is. and have her spayed.

Roo :evilbat: [/i][/u][/b]

[quote name='Bliss']ok thanx, but i don't think I would want to go that far though. One of the reasons why I wanted to breed her was because I thought if she spent time with her own children then she might get along with them and she can finally have a furry friend in her life. But the thing is, she may act like shes aggressive, but she's never bitten anyone or anything in her whole life before and all she really does is bark a lot and run away from other dogs. She hardly ever growls too. So, you say she might be aggressive towards her puppies, i'll take that into consideration. THankyou.[/quote]

Dear Lord Bliss ---- are you just out and out asking for a scratch fight or are you just THAT inexperienced?

No sugar coating from me: [b][i]"I wanted to breed her was because I thought if she spent time with her own children then she might get along with them and she can finally have a furry friend in her life". [/i][/b]

This is the WORST reason EVER for wanting to breed. I'm going to stop here because I promised myself that I would hear the entire story before foaming at the mouth and biting........oh, hell forget that........this is why MANY, MANY puppies/dogs end up in the pound is because of irresponsible owners like yourself. "Go to the dog park?" Why don't you just sit on the Wal-mart parking lot with a sign that says ---- [color=red][b]"need something that looks like a *whatever breed you want* to breed with to have LOTS of puppies, no need for a look at the pedigree --- BECAUSE I DON'T CARE". [/b][/color]

PLUS --- your dog isn't aggressive, she's a FEAR BITER from not being socialized. I agree with Roo, do the world of dogs a favor and spay her, then take her to some obedience classes and get her some socialization.

[quote name='K']Hobbit..Join me for a :drinking: ..we knew we were due for one of "these" soon..everything had been just to *ordinary* for a while now....
I suggest ignore it and it will go away..... :wink:[/quote]

:angel: :angel: :angel:
Ignore what K :lol:

[quote name='Bliss']This may seem weird, but, anyway, I have a mini dachshund that I was hoping to breed and she is about 3 years old now and she is not spayed YET.[/quote]
So she's already championed out? Or are you doing earthdog trials with her? Maybe you actually hunt her (ooh, bet that would cause an uproar with PETA :o )? And her patellas have been cleared, her structure is sound, and you've checked her lines to make sure there's not a history of problems with her close relatives, right? How about the male? Has he passed all the health clearances? Does he have good ribbing (helps to support the back and reduce the risk of problems)? Are you sure about both their colors? Sometimes it's very hard to tell if a dog is dapple (case in point, Annie is supposedly a red dapple, but I've looked all over her and never saw a single hint of a dapple). Have they both been tested for "doggy STDs"? Some can render both dogs infertile, so testing for them in kinda important.

[quote]But the problem is, she was not socialized properly when she was a pup so she was very "mean" to the male.[/quote] You couldn't socialize [i]one[/i] dachshund pup, but you think you can socialize five? And get them started on housebreaking (as they should be before heading out to their new homes)? What if her temperment isn't all due to lack of socialization? And she passes her fear aggression on to her pups?

[quote]she wouldn't even let the male near her, same with all other dogs she has met[/quote] This isn't a proper dachshund temperment, no matter how unsocialized she was.

[quote]Sometimes she even has milk coming out of her teats and then she burrows in my closet like she is going to have puppies, but nothing happens[/quote]
This is false pregnancy, and is common in unspayed dogs.

[quote]ok thanx, but i don't think I would want to go that far though.[/quote] Why not? A good breeder will go to whatever length is necessary to get the right match for their dog, in order to produce the best pups. If you don't want to go that far to breed the dogs, what are you going to do if the bitch needs a C-section to deliver the pups? Will you go that far?

[quote]One of the reasons why I wanted to breed her was because I thought if she spent time with her own children then she might get along with them and she can finally have a furry friend in her life.[/quote] Or she might eat them. Wouldn't that be cute :roll: Dogs don't feel affection for their pups the same as people do for their children.

[quote]But the thing is, she may act like shes aggressive, but she's never bitten anyone or anything in her whole life before and all she really does is bark a lot and run away from other dogs.[/quote] Those are classic signs of fear aggression. They want to scare away the threat before it can hurt them. If things progress far enough, and they feel cornered, they [i]will[/i] bite.

[quote] But, I have met the Dam before and she was very friendly and the breeder bred her dogs often. [/quote]
Then don't worry about breeding your dog, the "breeder" has produce enough ill tempered dogs to keep shelters busy for the next 10 yrs without your help.

Your dog shouldn't be bred. As others ahve said, she should be spayed and enrolled in training classes to teach you to control her aggression. [/i]

Guest Anonymous

I said that was just ONE of the reasons, not all. So please don't attack me just because I am asking this. I was considering breeding her, but if she didn't want to i would let that be. I'm not askin for a "scratch fight?" i'm just tryin to find out more information. [b]Please do not attack me for asking questions.[/b]

Guest Anonymous

Lawdy, Bliss, the people here aren't really out to get ya! They are here to help educate people.

FIRST, your statement "if she really didn't want to" - dogs go by instinct not by reasoning.

If I am repeating someone else's advice, I apologize (and Carol did say some of this and so did Gooey), but here's my 2 cents worth.

No dog should ever be bred unless it meets all of the qualifications of the breed standard (what's pretty to you doesn't mean your dog qualifies), has been deemed breeding quality by one who shows their dogs in competition (conformation, obedience, etc.) is of sound temperment, has had all the necessary expensive testing done for breed specific illnesses/hereditary diseases, and the only reason TO EVERY BREED ANY DOG IS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE BREED. What is so special about your dog that will contribute to the betterment of your breed?

The shelter are full of so called pedigreed dogs were bred for all the wrong reasons. Most of which are $$$$ in their eyeballs, wanted another dog just like Fluffy, wanted my kids to witness the birth of pups. Throwing a male and female together doesn't make a breeder. A reputable breeder is one who has shown their dogs with major accomplishments, has researched the breed and keeps up with ongoing research, knows the background of the pedigree of the male and female and selectively searches out a suitable mate that is compatible to the pedigree of the other. The person you've described that sold you this little girl is nothing but a Backyard Breeder which is scum, as you've said the dam was bred many times and has had many litters which just proves the woman hasn't a clue to breeding anything and should be strung up by her heels.

If you've felt "attacked" by the responses, please don't feel that way. The responses are attempts to educate the general public on the welfare of all dogs, but you are to blame for trying to breed her without knowing anything about breeding. I guarantee you that you can come back here at anytime, and receive genuine help.

Well said Guest Pat...

Bliss, I agree that no dog should be bred unless it is for the betterment of the breed and certainly not without all the research under the sun. It's not a toy factory, it's life you're creating and responsible for. Your dog, however cute she may be, doesn't sound like a good candidate for this. That's the way it is.