Dogomania

Microchip or tattoo?

eggrolyn1223

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure about the spaying since Kika was 3 and Kenzo was 2, but mine are both microchipped. I, personally, don't know anyone with a tattooed dog so I don't know how the dog reacted.

Is your mom in the states? Can she mail you a tag for Duck? Even if you had a tag, it's best to have a perminate identification (IMHO) in case the tag dissappears....mine can slip out of their collars if need be. :o

Let us know what you decide!

Guest Anonymous

In my opinion I would see what is used around me....For instance what to the shelters or pounds have?? Can they read a microchip? Would the tatoo system be better in your area? There are alot of things to look at..

I would microchip or tattoo [b]and[/b] get your mom to send a tag or better yet see if you could get one online!!!!!

With the way dogs are treated by others in your area me personally...If I had a good vet...I would get her spayed...Sometimes a result from this can be incontience and she will lick her stitches so she will have to be watched....but one think you do not need is puppies...

Guest Anonymous

Yes it lengthens her life span if anything... lessens the risks of cancer.. She will not die in the birth of pups if she accidently gets pregnant... :wink:
*****These two things are off web sites!

Why Spay/Neuter?
Spayed and neutered animals are healthier and live longer.

Spaying is the preferred and healthier way to prevent heat cycles, compared to injections which we know can cause infections or cancer of the uterus.

Spaying prevents pyometra (infection of the uterus) which can be fatal. Spaying also prevents cancers of the uterus and ovaries and virtually eliminates incidents of mammary tumors and cancer, (especially if done before the first heat cycle).

There are some breed clubs that have a tattoo registry (eg. Weimaraner Club of Vic), tattooing doesn't hurt the dog much (both our Basset and Cocker were tattooed and spayed but that was long before microchipping), best to do both to be safe maybe. Microchipping is just a needle in between the shoulders, the dog doesn't even notice it (well mine didn't and he is a big wimp). :)

I just asked Duck's vet when I could bring her in to get spayed and they said that we have to wait until she's 8 MONTHS :o :o!!!I thought dogs were supposed to have their first heat at about 7 months and be spayed at 6 months!!!And I thought we could do it earlier!!!I wonder how the dogs here get spayed at 8 months earliest?

Egg, they way the microchip works (in Aus anyway, and I assume a similar system in other countries) is that you take the dog to your local vet (most vets do this, though I got a good deal through my obedience club and the Lost Dogs' Home) and they "inject" the chip through a syringe right between your dog's shoulder blades. The chip has a 15-digit code which is unique to that dog, it gets sent off to the National Pet Registry and if the dog goes missing and turns up at a shelter, they're scanned for a chip and if s/he has one, the owner is notified ASAP of their dog's whereabouts. Also great as a weapon against the black market in pet stealing. There was a recent case here where a woman's purebred Husky was stolen and resold, she was reunited with her dog about 6 mths after because this dog ran away from its new owners and was ID'd through the chip.
My advice to you is to find out if you have a similar registry in Taiwan and if you do, get Duck on it when she gets chipped (the vet should be able to tell you more?) :)

Hi there.

Microchipping is one of the best solutions to a lost dog being returned to its owner, this practice is done by the vet who injects a chip (about the size of a grain of rice) into the back of the dogs neck, this does not hurt them. You will be given or sent the number of the chip, with your name and address on the letter, so if your dog becomes lost then the dog can be traced back to you its owner from a scanner.
Tattooing is another one, the dog can have ears, inside leg tattooed!
A name tag is also essential if you can get one (you could order one off the net by searching for ''DOG TAG'' these usually just have your address and telephone number on one side but some do put the name of there pet on the other side.

If you would like me to do a search for you myself for a ''Tag'' send me an e-mail.

• 3 months later...

Same here. My dog is tattooed on his inner belly fold by his leg but also chipped. I mean, really, how many people want to try to look under a grown Danes legs for a tattoo? But it is easily visible, their bellies are naked LOL.

My cats are only microchipped. They couldn't be tattooed on their bellies because of their fur. Well they could but no one could see it.

[quote name='alicat613']My cats are only microchipped. They couldn't be tattooed on their bellies because of their fur. Well they could but no one could see it.[/quote]

How would you tattoo the cat... you would have to put it under a general wouldn't you otherwise get scratched to death?? :wink: :-? I suppose you would do it the same time as being spayed/neutered to save two ops, if the cat went under.

Guest Anonymous

I only sorta skimmed through this, so SO SORRY if someone already mentioned this!! :oops:
But, our vet told us, when my sis's cat got tattoed that a microchip is better (but more expensive, that's why she chose tatt, my sis is living on her own...) because a tatt CAN wear off over time, or fade to some extent that it can't be read.
Oh, at the purina dog chow website, I noticed you can oder tags from there too...

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='alicat613']Microchipping should only be $15-$25. Anymore than that and you're getting ripped off. IMO tattooing is pricier.[/quote]

I got mine done at the shelter for cheap $20!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Luka is microchipped. I also have a lot of tags on his collar. His home tag, shelter tag, microchip tag, and town registration tag.

But with a collar, it can easily fall off or break. The metal buckle, not the plastic clip kind, will be a lot more secure, but the plastic will break if there's pressure on the collar (if it gets caught), saving the dog from choking. Also, dog thieves can easily remove a collar and without proof, like a microchip, it will be hard to reclaim a dog.

Kavik is tattooed but we are thinking of chipping as his tattoo is unreadable. My cat is tattooed but I think it was a mistake - she's too skinny the chip floats about and is very noticable, sometimes it is near her spine. For now the boys have custom tags that have all their info on them
Rabies vac # and tel# of vet
License # and city spca #
name and my #
all on one tag - less jingling that way