Dogomania

Microchip or tattoo?

eggrolyn1223

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not be able to feel the mircrochip under the skin. The ones we implant are smaller than a grain of rice, and are not detectable without the use of a scanner.
Of all the pets we've microchipped, I've only seen an extremely small number of those who actually showed even the slightest discomfort. Mostly though, we microchip them while under anesthesia(when a pet comes in for surgery the owner has the option to get the microchip at a discounted price).
At work we use Home Again(the AKC runs the registration database). The implantation device looks like a heavy duty syringe.

Today I adopted a cat who had been shot with a rifle. The previous owners were goin to put it to sleep (not b/c it was suffering, but because it would need to have it's leg amputated and they didn't want to have a less than perfect animal). Last night they signed all rights over to me. I immediately had my boss do the amputation this morning, being that it was finally my cat. After teh surgery I did implant the microchip , mainly for legality and security purposes(especially neded in this type of case). I can at least have some peace of mind now.
I strongly advise the microchip, however be aware that they can migrate to other areas over periods of time. So, if you're ever in a position to scan for a chip, also scan other areas, as the chip may not be exactly in the standard scanning area.
I know that there is a one time membership fee to be entered into the AKC companion animal recovery database. It's $12.50 (For Home Again. I'm unsure as to the pricing of Avid etc).

• 5 years later...

Hey!

I have my lovely Bob microchiped last summer. It's not painful at all, just an injection and the microchip size is like a grain of rice.
I've also found this article "Using microchips for maximum pet security" at petslovershotels (.com)

Greetings!!