Dogomania

Microchip or tattoo?

eggrolyn1223

Guest Anonymous

Hazel had a tag when she was younger, but she crawled under the porch a lot, then when she got too big, she got stuck, and on the prosess of getting her out, the tag broke and fell in the dirt... found it once, but not sure whats happened since then... It was only a couple bux worth though, got it from one of those Petcetera Tag Machines. We had really nice ones for my Lab and Chihuahua a long time ago... the chihuahua's was too heavy! :roll: and Blue's (Lab) went missing... we then one day got a call that was like "Do you have a dog named Blue?" and we were like "OMG" sorta thing, look over, and there's Blue lying on the mat, so with total confusion were like "yes..." and the answer on the other end of the phone was "well, we found his tag, maybe you'd like to keep it [i]on the dog?[/i]" :oops:
I would like to get Hazel chiped, but not too sure if it's intirely necisary... seeing as how Hazel never leaves my side, and can't when outside... (although SOMETIMES I do let her off lead...) but odds are it'd be hard to catch her, plus the "dog catchers" don't come down this road... sooooo... not sure again if it would be of much use.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put much faith in tags.
One, they can come off, either on their own or with the whole collar.
Also you really have to realize how small the writing is, and honestly think - if my dog is lost, is a stranger really going to get under my dog's head to read that dinky thing? My dog? No.

There are really awesome wide nylon collars and leads that you can get embroidered with the dog's name and phone number so people don't have to try to read the dinky tags.

Tattoos and chips are more for once they are in a shelter IMO, and tags or ID collars/leads are more for if they get loose and are found by people.

The tag is a light aluminum or something blue tag, bone shaped, 2-3 cm by 1 1/2 to 2 cm, its engraved so the letters show up well on the blue as they are the colour of the underlying metal, it all fits (no address), I figure if someone is going to bother to read the tag they won't have any trouble. I agree with the tags come off thing - Kavik's has come off and I can't find the darn jump ring. I have thought of embroidered collars but my dogs are a muddy lot and I think no one would be able to read the collar after the first month :oops:
Still considering chipping though.

Yeah...I'd probably read a Border Collie's collar tag too. I meant more for people with big dogs. I have a Great Dane puppy who already intimidates people, and he's really drooly and open mouthed when he's out and about (all that excitement). I really can't imagine if he ran off, a stranger managed to catch him and try to hold his head so you could read the tag. My dog would think it was a game and run and try to mouth the person. Would you fight a 120 lb dog to read its tag? :D

I see your point Allicat. I'd read your dogs tag if his body language was positive/non aggresive/not fearful but that's me, alot of people would be afraid to even approach a dog that large. I have really only been afraid of a dog once (which may be a sign of stupidity rather than bravery or maybe just good luck) - I was 10 it was an Irish Wolfhound that was alone and galloping full tilt, right at me, down the road at a campgrounds - I wasn't sure it would be freindly but figured with its weight and speed, things might not go well even if it was freindly. I had never seen an Irish Wolfhound before but I knew it looked big and grizzley and was moving really fast. I was well trained so I didn't run, turned towards it, (braced myself cause I felt the collision would send me flying) and kept my hands at my side. It reached me, still moving very fast, abruptly flopped on its back and waggled for belly rubs :lol: , we got along fine and the owner was there shortly after apologizing because he'd slipped his collar - I've wanted an Irish Wolfhound ever since!

I've been very surprised at how many people are a little intimidated by my dog. I mean, he's a baby! And very sweet - he wouldn't hurt a fly! To me he is obviously a sweet puppy BUT he is big, and when he's out he is very slobbery and open-mouthed from the excitement, and very rambunctious and playful. He tends to lunge at people (we're working on that) and he shies away from hands. I just wouldn't trust a little tag to be something people would read! The collars are really nice.

I like Irish Wolfhounds too - but too much hair for me! I'll stick with my Dane...maybe Danes someday!

• 3 weeks later...

:D

Mary's Momma: I have thought about that, but my area is too big, it would go off everytime I went to a show or to the lake, and it won't stop pet theft since it can be removed. Great idea though.

I am trying to figure out which microchip to use. Every one around hear uses Home Again but i have been told that they can only read their own chips. What are the other alternatives in the U.S. particularly in my area, TN, AR & MS.

You should always spay before the first heat, I was told by my vet that that is how to avoid mammary cancers.

:angel:

My boys are chipped through Home Again. Along with the chip we got little yellow i.d. number tags that go on their collars. The phone number of Home Again is listed as well as the chip number, so the information can be given by whomever finds the dogs to the Home Again service without being able to read the chip. They have had their tags for about 3 years and the numbers have faded a little.

We did use the service one time when our Saint took off after a deer (we live in the country) through some heavy brush too fast for my husband to catch him. We were worried sick....we searched every road in our truck looking for him. But a kind lady found him on a dirt road about a mile from our house, took him home, tied him to a tree, found the Home Again number and called it in. They in turn notified us and we were able to have him home safely in a matter of 2 hours. When we got home from looking for him a message was waiting on our phone! What a relief that was. If he had not had appropriate tags on we could have lost him for good! As a result I am an advocate of microchipping! :lol:

Even if you don't have the microchip tag on your dog's collar, it's a lifesaver. If your dog ends up at a shelter or is taken in by someone who in turn takes it to a vet, standard behavior now is to scan the animal for a chip. It's always good though to have the tag on the collar, or another id tag in aaddition, in case one manages to detach fromt he collar. Also, rabies tags are crucial in reuniting dogs and other pets with their owners. I couldn't tell you how many dogs we've returned safely home due to them wearing a rabies vac tag. Many people will find dogs who've gotten lost or are wandering, wearing nothing but a rabies tag on their collar. Our hospital's name, along with other info, is on the tag, so whoever finds the animal will call us and explain the situation. As long as they can read the tag ID number, we can type it into our computers adn up will come all the information on the animal and the owner(names, sex, color, breed, owner, rabies vac date, street addresses, phone numbers etc) What we usually do is tell them the dog's name and the owner's name. We then call the owner of the missing dog, telling them that this person has found their dog adn give them the info to contact the person who has their pet. You'd be surprised how many cases were closed due to a wonderful ending. There aer many ways to ID an animal, but microchipping is wonderful in many ways, espcially if your pet ends up at a shelter etc.
Tattooing has too many flaws, and is really outdated.

• 3 weeks later...

mines microchipped i think this is quite GOOD one to have as it cant get lost and no one can claim him as it has your address details on it and a code.....

tattooing isnt as good if they are younger as is will become a bit strecthed and wont be as good affect....

hes also got a collar tag.... and a microchipp tag......

It's always best to have more than one form of ID for your pet. Micropchips are excellent, but also regular id tags are great in the case of a neighbor or someone finding the dog on the street or in their yard etc. They have the info on the tag, whereas a shelter/vet has the equipment to scan for microchips/ID. You can't go wrong with added or backup security:)
There's always the chance of collars coming off or tags falling off etc. Microchips are permanent. Tattos are also, but can easily be cut off etc.

[quote name='RescuerAndVetTech']Tattos are also, but can easily be cut off etc.[/quote]

Not anymore - now they are being done on the belly so you can't cut it off.
Also my puppy was tattooed at about 10 pounds and has grown to 120 and the tattoo got easier to read. A good tattooer should be able to do the tattoo so it doesn't get ruined as the dog grows or fade.

I'm not sure if I'd trust the tattoo as much in the US. Although I live here (US) my dog is Canadian and registered there. They have numbers regulated there and the numbers automatically tell someone what vet clinic your dog came from. Here the numbers aren't regulated so you just pick a number and register it, but whoever found your dog would have to know how to contact your registry.

Both my dogs have ID tags on their collars. There's the one that says my name and phone # and address, the rabies tag, and when we lived in a city that did have a have-to-licence-your-dog law we had that tag there too. Plus Rocky has some he got from his best friends at the pound (he's a escape artist) but I think that was both a joke and for more "protection" just in case every other tag fell off he'd still have that one. LOL.

When I got Shadow from the Humain Society, they microchipped her for free. No charge. It was really cool. And they did it right in front of me, didn't hurt a bit. It's called and AVID CHIP or something like that...

Anyways, I'd always have a ID tag (most peeps would never think of looking for a tatoo or chip) and a microchip JUST IN CASE. I don't know about tatooing... never had it done so I don't know..

:o I just posted a question like this on another forum! I am wondering about the 2 different types of chips that are out there. I know that most places only have 1 chip reader and they can't read the other type of chip. Does anyone know if one brand is more popular than the other in the U.S.? I am concerned with a husky that she might wander very far and then I want the "right" chip. Maybe I'll get both?

Thanks, do you know if it causes any discomfort at the injection site? He has a show this weekend and I'd like to get it done before he goes away, but not if it's going to make him not feel up to showing off. Hey, it's a major and we need to win. :P