Dogomania

EVERYONE!! There's gonna b a dog in my family!!

Louis

I can't believe this! My dad's decided he will take the plunge and get a dog!
This is truly wonderful news as since he and my mother broke up he has had very little interest in anything. Finally the family has convinced him that he needs something in the house with him as company, and cats were mentioned but he has decided its a dog he really wants. I'm not surprised as when I was a kid he and I were the very vocal pro dog lobby of the family- always over-ruled by the pro-neat-and-tidy-house-lobby- my mom.
I just can't believe it. I still live with him so I see a huge role for me in settling doggy in and assisting with training- I have already identified our local training club. And I would love to give agility a whirl- great exercise for me and dog!
I have been dying for this to happen, and I know it will be so great for my dad. He loves animals and has basically taken over the care of my pet bunnies. I think it will make such a difference to him to have something to care about and to get him out of the house again, he has been so depressed. He makes such a fuss of everyones dogs, and now he'll have his own. So pleased...
Only thing is his heart is set on a German shepherd bitch- could be my fault, I have raved about them since I was little, and he meant to get one from a shelter, but all the ones I have seen at shelters have been very destructive and aggressive to other dogs- feeling discouraged about it, this isn't the norm is it?

P.S. It'll happen when we move house, the old family home is up for sale, all beautifully decorated, and we are moving into a smaller, more untidy house that a dog could mess up a little if there are teething troubles!!

Thanks guys, I will try. Could take a couple of months but if dogo is running alright you'll get to hear all about her the second she arrives. Hope alls well with forum members, I am here comparatively rarely now!! I noticed Shannon C is back, she was absent for a bit (welcome back S-C!!) and there's all these nice people I don't remember. I never thought having half a horse would be so much work- also we've had some teething troubles so much time is spent on equichat sites looking for advice to help us get used to eachother- but I'm still around - maybe soon I'll have loads to tell you about!! If anyone has any suggestions on things to think about before we are even close to getting doggie lemme know..!
If we end up with a puppy I'll be looking for a puppy class too, I want the dog to like other dogs unlike the poor creatures I have met in shelters...
Just praying house sale won't fall through or it could be months!!! We can't wait that long!!! :lol:
I was supposed to put my photos from that makeover thing up wasn't I? I have them but I haven't had time to sort that out.. If I get round to it I'll put my part of a horsie up too.. worried readers fear not, she is a whole horse but I only have a share in part of her!!! :D

I guess the other thing we are concerned about is not knowing a shelter dogs breeding as all the magazines warn about getting puppies from hipscored parents and something about heamophillia in males or something? But if we meet a dog there that will suit us, it seems that this would be the preferred source.