Dogomania

Dumb question of the week

science_doc

In my ever continuing effort to stump the expert dog-o pannel I ask this question: Are there any breeds of dogs that are too small to keep up with an average sized, but slightly chubby running human being? I am not talking about toys or teacups or whatever they are called, but rather the 20-30-40# dogs, e.g. Shibas, American eskimos, Spitz, etc. One criteria I have for my next dog is a running or really jogging partner and I was wondering if this eliminates some breeds?

Please forgive me if I have asked this question before.....I am going to think about which breed of dog is a perfect fit for our home until the day we bring the bundle of fluff home forever.

Guest Anonymous

Trust me on this one....when ever we take walks, my hubby and Kenzo run the first 2 blocks. Kenzo is never ready to stop. Kika, she's a runner in the yard but walks on the lead. She is too prissy to run! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

OOH! A hippo would be an interesting pet. What a job to pick up the back yard after one of them!

German Shorthair Pointers are long haulers too. I believe most of the medium hunting dogs are as well.

I cant think of any dog breed I know about that couldn't keep up or outrun a person given the right excercise to build it's muscle power. I've seen the way a friend's Pekinese could outrun him one day when it got loose at a show and had it's mind on getting to a nice little girl in season on the other side of the park, no-one else could help, we were all rolling around laughing at this 6ft man hurtling after this 10in. dog. :lol:

LOL, a dog with a one-track mind, what a surprise :D

Dalmatians are good running companions; one of their original purposes was to run alongside horse-drawn fire engines. You might not be able to take it for a hardcore run until it's fully grown because of tearing muscles and bones and suchlike though, that's probably the case with all large dogs though...

Dachshunds can really run when they want to, at full speed they look like high-powered pieces of poo :lol: When Oscar and Fritz were around they slipped their collars a few times on walks and just took off, I *used* to be a good sprinter but was no match for them.

K and Sasha, I hate to say this but I am seriously leaning towards a Shiba :lol: . I have even started scouting Shiba rescues for a cat safe adult dog. We just don't have the time for a puppy, and that worries us a bit about a rescue dog too :( But on the brighter side a little bit smaller dog might be a little easier to bring into the home with our 2 cats with SERIOUS attidtude! At least that's what we have been thinking.....

Anyway thanks again for the information everyone! I have enjoyed my education by DOG-O so much, I'm really glad that there is a place like this :oops: oh gosh got all warm and fuzzy there didn't I.....not much like a mad scientist :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='science_doc']K and Sasha, I hate to say this but I am seriously leaning towards a Shiba :lol: . I have even started scouting Shiba rescues for a cat safe adult dog. We just don't have the time for a puppy, and that worries us a bit about a rescue dog too :( But on the brighter side a little bit smaller dog might be a little easier to bring into the home with our 2 cats with SERIOUS attidtude! At least that's what we have been thinking.....

Anyway thanks again for the information everyone! I have enjoyed my education by DOG-O so much, I'm really glad that there is a place like this :oops: oh gosh got all warm and fuzzy there didn't I.....not much like a mad scientist :lol:[/quote]

I can help you. I have "shiba contacts" :wink: .....

Guest Anonymous

First and foremost.....A FENCED IN YARD! They will RUN AND RUN AND RUN if you don't have a fenced in yard. We found many holes in our yard....thanks to not having a shiba in the yard when there was supposed to be!

They are aloof at first, but are very loving otherwise. They blow their coat 1-2 times a year. They don't hardly bark but yodle instead. Will bark at strangers. Very cat like for a dog. Very CLEAN animals. Kika is always cleaning Kenzo's ears. For the first year (if you would get a pup, but I know you want a rescue) they don't respond real well to you. They are a "I'll do it when I want to" dog. Call their name, they wont even acknowledge your existance. Now, though, they are ON THE BALL with us. They come running when we call their name. They are usually same sex agressive, and ours are but I'm sure with enough socialization you can curb that.

They have stamina. They can go and go for hours. Not much of a retriever though. You can throw a ball and they will chase it but that's about it!

Do you have a rescue organization in your area?

PM me with your requirements (CATS...etc) and I can check around for you!

Guest Anonymous

And I found this on a website.....

If you want a dog that is:
Cute and adorable from birth
Small, athletic and strong with a "Big Dog" personality
Cat like with its gromming habits requiring very few baths
Independent and aloof
Quiet and clean
Alert, bold and confident
Extremely smart
Very curious about everything around him
Lively and high spirited
Very good at stealing your heart
Then the Shiba Inu may be the dog for you.

If you don't want a dog that:
Emits a piercing "shiba scream" when unhappy or afraid
Has selective hearing when it suits him
Is cunning and manipulative
Constantly thinks of new ways to out fox you
Is sometimes aggressive to other animals
Has strong prey instincts
Wont stay with you if you let him off his leash when outside
Can be possessive of his food and toys
Is stubborn and dominant
Has the ability to climb trees, fences and other obstacles
Can jump 5 feet high from a sitting position
Is double coated and sheds twice a year
Then the Shiba Inu is not the dog for you.

Guest Anonymous

and lastly....
The Shiba Inu bestows an alert noble look on whatever he gazes upon. This lends him an air of dignity and beauty. He is good natured, intelligent and rather curious about everything around him. He is rather independent and much like a cat will usually not come to you when called. When around strangers he is at first aloof but then usually warms up fast. Shibas are affectionate with members of their own family and people whom they trust and respect.

Another dumb question, but Gigi, remember when I aksed you about the weird colored variation I saw in a park? It looked like this one:

[url]http://web1.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1176828&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=3dc2d3674fbb242f&display=&preview=&row=0[/url]

I'll bet that if you can see this dog it's crossed with something else?

Guest Anonymous

Shibas do come in black and tan...He's a cutie!

I do remember you talking about him/her....I remember the size as an issue as well(?)....

Here's another example of black and tan....

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~windcastle/puppy/TannerxPrimaboy3mo.jpg[/img]

I still favor the reds over the sesame or black and tan....

Guest Anonymous

BUT, what you said about the cross with another breed, could be true. I believe they still need the white on the face......not like the one at petfinder....

Hmmm. Something to look into!

Guest Anonymous

From [url]www.akc.org[/url]
Color

Coat color is as specified herein, with the three allowed colors given equal consideration. All colors are clear and intense. The undercoat is cream, buff or gray.
[u]Urajiro (cream to white ventral color) is required in the following areas on all coat colors: on the sides of the muzzle, on the cheeks, inside the ears, on the underjaw and upper throat inside of legs, on the abdomen, around the vent and the ventral side of the tail. [/u]On reds: commonly on the throat, forechest, and chest. [u]On blacks and sesames: commonly as a triangular mark on both sides of the forechest. White spots above the eyes permitted on all colors but not required. [/u]Bright orange-red with urajiro lending a foxlike appearance to dogs of this color. Clear red preferred but a very slight dash of black tipping is permitted on the back and tail.
[u]Black with tan points and urajiro. Black hairs have a brownish cast, not blue. The undercoat is buff or gray. The borderline between black and tan areas is clearly defined. Tan points are located as follows: two oval spots over the eyes: on the sides of the muzzle between the black bridge of the muzzle and the white cheeks;[/u] on the outside of the forelegs from the carpus, or a little above, downward to the toes; on the outside of the hind legs down the front of the stifle broadening from hock joint to toes, but not completely eliminating black from rear of pasterns. Black penciling on toes permitted. Tan hairs may also be found on the inside of the ear and on the underside of the tail.
Sesame(black-tipped hairs on a rich red background) with urajiro. Tipping is light and even on the body and head with no concentration of black in any area. Sesame areas appear at least one-half red. Sesame may end in a widow's peak on the forehead, leaving the bridge and sides of the muzzle red. Eye spots and lower legs are also red.
Clearly delineated white markings are permitted but not required on the tip of the tail and in the form of socks on the forelegs to the elbow joint, hind legs to the knee joint. A patch of blaze is permitted on the throat, forechest, or chest in addition to urajiro.
Serious fault--Cream, white pinto, or any other color or marking not specified is a very serious fault and must be penalized.