Dogomania

Doggy nails

eggrolyn1223

Guest Anonymous

I use a dremel tool. Wouldn't trade it for the world! The nails are smooth, doesn't take long, IF you hit the quick it is immediately cauterized and doen't bleed or hurt nearly as much. Cutting also pinches the nail and can twist the base of the nail, which hurts. Especially if you have a large dog with thick nails.

I bought a mini-mite cordless dremel at wal-mart for $25, best dog related item I ever purchased :D

Well, maybe except for the crates, and prong collars, and pooper scooper, it's up there though!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

We use the dremel, when we are up to the challenge. They think we are SOO mean when we do nails....

I'm thinking about getting the clippers too...Kika's nails are getting LONG and the clippers would be SO much faster than the dremel. Even if they are sharper, I can just take her for a walk afterwards.

Imagine this...it's cold outside. All doors and windows are closed. Some neighbor walks by our house and thinks we are abusing our dog cuz they can hear her crying from outside...and we're just cutting nails. You don't even have to touch the nail and she's whining!!!!! :(

Maybe I'm working too hard but I clip a bit off then use the dremel to round off the nail and smooth it out. A word of caution, keep ALL long hair, yours AND the dogs away from the dremel! :lol: I'm speaking from experience here! Jesse has long feathering on his front legs, I wrapped his hair around the spinning dremel one night. The dremel stopped, didn't hurt him but it startled the heck outta me.
You can slip an old nylon knee high over the dogs leg to keep long hair away, better tie your own up.

• 2 weeks later...

Carol, not at all...i only clip at bit at a time with my Bullmastiff as he has got thick toe nails.....they are also black so its a little difficult to see how far back the quick is...then i use a file once they are short enough.

Your doing a good job there girl, take your time!!! :)

Guest Anonymous

I bought my first set of clippers last night. Kika's nails were getting too long to use the dremel (takes too long). Clippers work a lot quicker but leave the rough edges.