Dogomania

Japanese Chins

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am the proud Mom of two Japenese Chins :D They will be 8 months old on September 27 (brother and sister). They are awesome little creatures - they LOOK delicate but are really sturdy as a rock! Anyone here have Chins or know anything about them? Seems there's only about 1200 registered with AKC....
As a little side note - I also have 4 pugs :D - the oldest just turned 16 on July 30 and the youngest was 2 this past March. Sadly, my black lab passed away in April :cry: .

Hi. I too have a Japanese Chin. Her name is Chin-Chin, she is 7 months old. She is tan white and black. Was neutered just last Tuesday.

She is a very sweet dog. Tries to please me and all. Very quiet.

ONlY PROBLEM. She does not want to be housetrained. We are managing, but the reality of it is that she is housetraining me.

I know about what time her pees and poos are going to be and I take her for a walk around those times. Now she does not even want to go in the backyard for her business.

Do you have the same problem with yours? Are they housetrained and if so, how did you do it.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! :D

And to Micheline - ah, yes - the housetraining of a Japanese Chin! :-? Kinda makes you crazy, doesn't it? Just when you think you have it down pat WHAM, back to square 1. I've talked to the Breeder numerous times and she keeps telling me to be patient, that one day it will finally click. They are just stubborn little critters and are going to do things on THEIR own schedule, not yours! They definitely are doing better at least. We live in Georgia with some of crummiest weather you can imagine - hot, muggy most of the year. Because the Chins are small (I also have 4 pugs) and the hot weather bothers ALL my dogs, I really don't mind if they occassionally need to go INside....my pugs have been trained forever to puppy pads, and that has helped the Chins to direct their business on the puppy pad rather than everywhere else. The weather is getting cooler here finally and they are wanting to go out more, so hopefully before winter sets in we'll FINALLY have this little activity taken care of. Have you tried using puppy pads???
Is this your first Chin??
BTW, my Chins, Willow and Whisper, are littermates - they will be 8 months old September 27. They are both black and white. I'll work on getting a picture of them on this site. I don't have a scanner or a digital camera so I have to depend on a neighbor friend to do it for me. Hopefully soon!
Looking forward to getting to know you and hearing about little Chin-Chin. Ah, the tales I could tell you about their goofy little antics! :-? :D

Carol

Nice to hear from you Carol. I have only one Chin (Thank god) and yes, they are very stuborn (Almost as much as I am according to my husband :) )

I am also very happy to learn that the fact that she is not totally housetrained is not entirely my fault. (this is my first dog and I don't know exactly what to do).

for now, she is the one who has me trained. We go for walks 3 times a day. Once between 8:30 and 11:30. Another between 2:30 and 4:00 and a last one after 8:30 p.m.

that way, I don't get to pick up any business in the house. But, again, that is her training me. She is still not asking for the door. (Even if every time we go outside, I take her little paws and scratch on the door saying outside. and when she does her business, I congratulate her and give her a special treat)

On that subject, I think Chin Chin does many pees throughout our walk to get more treats (Can a Chin do such a thing or am I imaginating things?)

Anyway, nice to hear from you and hope everything goes well with your little compagnions.

Hope to hear from you soon

Micheline

• 9 months later...

No Carol, you are not imaginating this. My Chin did the same thing. (pee at least 5 to 10 times per walks to get treats)

Or so I tought, but now that I don't have to give her a treat for each pee, she still does it.

It took around 10 months or so for her to be housetrained, but now she makes the nicest dog I could wish for.

She is affectionnate, does her business outside, plays with my husband and myself, and what I really appreciate of her is that she barely barks. (Once in the morning to get out of her cage and that is it)

She still does not get along with the cat, but I think that they agreed to disagree (the endure each other and that is all I can hope for)

I really love my dog.

Micheline099

Has anyone tried using a litterbox with their Chin? I've heard they're very catlike, so perhaps that would work ;)

I considered using a litterbox for Macy, my Maltese, but she's about 90 percent housetrained and is getting better. Now if only she would signal when she needs to go out...

yeah! he is! does any of your dogs do sort of a purring sound when he wants something? Mine does he whines witha sorta mixed in pigen coo. Its really strage. He is also very protective when my friends and i play around he comes and attacks them thinking they are hurting me. Same with my mom.He is also very stupid at times. We were at a pet store once when we were buying treats we walked up and he ran into the counter!! ANd other times like when he was jumping on the bed he ran in to the mattress :lilangel: