Dogomania

Anyone ever heard of Healthypetnet dog food?

Guest Anonymous

What kind of food do you feed your dog?  

1. 1. What kind of food do you feed your dog?

• Canned
    • All Natural

Guest Anonymous

Most specifically this disease entered FARM animals do to feeding of "downer animals" (animals dead in the field, not examined and sold to feed makers for protein). Then when the animals were processed for food, nervous tissue (brain, nerves, etc.) was included in the general goo. For people the same thing happened in England, either the people ate brain/nervous tissues or ate care lessly slaughterd beef that came into contact with nervous tissue. The chronic wasting disease spread into a tame deer herd via food, but now the real mystery is how the disease spread from the tame deer to wild deer.........FREAKS ME OUT. This is a TERRIBLE death and not the way I would choose to go :cry:

I hate to harp on this subject, but since I'm always thinking about it....does anyone want to volunteer a response to my earlier question about how they feel about animal testing and what the limits should be? I'm asking mostly because I'm feeling a bit torn.....I really feel strongly about what I do, but I'm afraid that most of you would disagree about all testing using live animals. If that's the way you feel I understand, but I'm always trying to determine where the average animal lover draws the line.......just makes things easier for all of us honest hardworking medical researchers trying to improve human and animal lives :roll:

Thanks for the response newfiemom, I realize that we have had this conversation before, but then I read the post about Eukanuba and their tests and it made me think that all you guys object to all testing even when it has the potential to benefit your own dogs. This makes me confused......I don't understand and I was just looking for further clarification. As always this is not an attack on ANYONE's beliefs, just trying to get some understanding.

• 11 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Becka']The groomer I use is trying to talk me into switching from Eukanuba to Healthypetnet dog food. Supposedly it is a super premium all natural dog food.

Anyone ever heard of it?

Opinions, please.[/quote]

Yes. Healthypetnet is the website for Life's Abundance Dog Food. It is Human Grade with no animal by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial coloring or flavors. There isn't anything better you can do for your dogs. You should check out the website. You should be aware that Eukabuba does have animal by-products and alot of other poor ingredients. If you want to buy commercial feed grade dog food you should consider switching to Nutro Natrual Choice. It has no by-products and good quality ingredients.

Nutro (including their Natural Choice) is still high in grain, pet grade meat and high in ash (not good) as well as really overpriced. I fed it for a while before I knew much about it to my cats, and man, they went through bag after bag like crazy, also threw up a lot and looked ok. They've gone through many other brands (long story short older cat can only eat a kibble for so long before it makes her sick) and all of the "expensive" brands (Wellness, Innova, California Natural) SAVE us money.

Petco sells Natural Balance, the only good food there. Petsmart is now selling something called Blue something that looks pretty nice.
Other good foods are Canidae, Innova, California Natural, Wellness.

Ok now I'm going way back in this convo...
IAMS and Eukanuba are the same company FYI.

Disregarding their testing policies, these (IAMS, Euk, Science Diet etc) are NOT good foods. They are laden with cheap grains, some gross "meats" (depending on which you buy), pet grade meat (which means it has been "denatured" by pouring gasoline, kerosene or similar chemicals on it -- by law, pet food meat must have this done, so unless you are feeding human grade....), nutritionally lacking ingredients, and many chemicals.

All for a ridiculous price.

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if any of you out there know anything about mini pinschers fur coat changes? my puppy is 5 months old and her coat is starting to change. she is developing some bumps along where it is changing and i was wondering if anyone knew if these were normal. They come and disappear within two days. I can feel her hair becoming more coarse along this area. Anyone have an idea?

while life''s abundance (sold through healthypet.net) is not a bad food, it is way overpriced for the quality it offers.

it's sold through a multilevel marketing program, so you don't have a real expert to talk to most of the time, just someone who wants to sell you a product to make a profit - unlike other places where a variety of different products is sold.

if you want to read about commercial pet food and compare over 500 products side by side, have a look [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/]here[/url].

[quote name='Anonymous']Yes. Healthypetnet is the website for Life's Abundance Dog Food. It is Human Grade with no animal by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial coloring or flavors. There isn't anything better you can do for your dogs. You should check out the website. You should be aware that Eukabuba does have animal by-products and alot of other poor ingredients. If you want to buy commercial feed grade dog food you should consider switching to Nutro Natrual Choice. It has no by-products and good quality ingredients.[/quote]

there is a good number of food brands out there that i would rate higher than life's abundance. it may not have any [i]animal[/i] byproducts, but it has potato product (a byproduct of the potato processing industry that consists of peels, trims, culls and various pieces) as a major ingredient, instead of fresh, whole potatoes.

to point out some other weak points:
- it also contains egg product instead of fresh, whole egg (see potato product).
- it contains more salt than carrots, apples and other supplements and herbs. i find that disturbing.
- it includes an unspecified type of fish meal, and any fish meal not destined for human consumption has to be preserved with ethoxyquin according to US coast guard regulations. meals from single sources (salmon, herring, menhaden etc.) are produced differently.
- contains menadione dimethyl-pyrimidinol bisulfate, which is vitamin K3, a synthetic version of vitamin K that was originally designed as a feed additive for short term use on animals slaughtered for meat, not on pets that generally have more than 10 times the life span.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='TDG'][quote name='Anonymous']Yes. Healthypetnet is the website for Life's Abundance Dog Food. It is Human Grade with no animal by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial coloring or flavors. There isn't anything better you can do for your dogs. You should check out the website. You should be aware that Eukabuba does have animal by-products and alot of other poor ingredients. If you want to buy commercial feed grade dog food you should consider switching to Nutro Natrual Choice. It has no by-products and good quality ingredients.[/quote]

there is a good number of food brands out there that i would rate higher than life's abundance. it may not have any [i]animal[/i] byproducts, but it has potato product (a byproduct of the potato processing industry that consists of peels, trims, culls and various pieces) as a major ingredient, instead of fresh, whole potatoes.

to point out some other weak points:
- it also contains egg product instead of fresh, whole egg (see potato product).
- it contains more salt than carrots, apples and other supplements and herbs. i find that disturbing.
- it includes an unspecified type of fish meal, and any fish meal not destined for human consumption has to be preserved with ethoxyquin according to US coast guard regulations. meals from single sources (salmon, herring, menhaden etc.) are produced differently.
- contains menadione dimethyl-pyrimidinol bisulfate, which is vitamin K3, a synthetic version of vitamin K that was originally designed as a feed additive for short term use on animals slaughtered for meat, not on pets that generally have more than 10 times the life span.[/quote]

Good post. I know people who sell (and market, heavily) Life's Abundance dog food, and like many people here, I had a feeling that most of their claims were overstated. It is nice to hear some facts.

Of course, they have no data to back up their claims of extraordinary longevity in dogs fed Life's Abundance because few, if any, dogs have been on Life's Abundance for anything approaching twenty years. But the fact that they make such claims (and I have heard them, too) as a marketing tool should be enough to make reasonable people dubious.

primrose