Dogomania

obedience classes in NC ???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

does anyone know of a good way to find obedience classes ? all i can find is petsmart and kennel clubs that are only for purebred dogs.......i have a five month old mutt and she and i need training and are north carolina. mutts need training too.....i'm doing everything i can on my own but want her to learn how to ignore other dogs when necessary and how to play well with them when approporiate, not to mention all the basic commands too (which we are already working on). thanks for any help you can give.

Guest Anonymous

Most obedience clubs (see [url]www.akc.org[/url] for a list of ones in your area) have classes for 'dogs' not just purebreds :-) call up and ask once you find a contact for the closest ones to you.
Ask your vet, the local shelters, the local groomers etc who is doing good classes in your area.
Be careful of the cruel people out there pretending to be dog trainers though - there are still a lot of people who believe violence is the best dog teacher going so don't be fooled into letting such a person take over the training on your pet.

Guest Anonymous

Check local pet stores... There is a lady in Charlotte who is an excellent trainer.. I do not know how close you are to Charlotte though... I can ask her if she knows of anyone else??

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Check local pet stores... There is a lady in Charlotte who is an excellent trainer.. I do not know how close you are to Charlotte though... I can ask her if she knows of anyone else??[/quote]

hey jacsmom- could you tell me where in charlotte this lady is ? i'm about forty five minutes away so it'd be a drive but out here anything is at least thirty minutes........thanks for the help everyone. i dont' know if i used the quote thing right, i guess i'll find out.

Guest Anonymous

She use to run All Breeds Training...She also trains seizure assist dogs.. She is now training for a pet store in Mooresville..which is actually closer than Charlotte (depending on which side your on)... She is an excellent trainer with work in obedeince and tracking... [url]http://www.carolinacanines.com/seizure-assist-dogs.html[/url]
Here is the link to the seizure assist place...Her name is Sharon Hermansen... Look under All Breeds Training or something very close to that... :wink:

• 3 months later...

check the phonebook, call and ask your vet...always preview the class for yourself by watching a session. be sure to ask how the trainer feels about dogs of certain sizes (I have a friend who brought her westie to a class, and the trainer wouldn't teach that dog-by ignoring him, no matter how good or bad he did-and refusing to discuss him with the owner by saying, "all little dogs are good for is looks, they're all small and too yappy and don't really need to be trained" My friend took her check back and walked away without a second glance) I trained my dogs myself and socialized them by bringing them everywhere. there's an upclass store called Julia Rush in Hickory, and Ms. Rush is a dog lover--she lets me bring them in! I also ask for puppy playdates, and when company comes over, I have the dogs perform--actually reinforcing that they need to be focusing on me when something's going on, not on anything else. They are wonderfully well trained!