Dogomania

police breeds

deepseasnake

[quote]I was originally shocked to find out that they are the #1 most intelligent breed, followed by #2 BCs and #3 GSDs.[/quote]

whoaaaaaaaaaa there!! Sorry, but Border Collies have and always will be the smartest breed. They mention that on almost all dog shows when the border is up. Its on many web sites. I know from experience, afterall i own 3 of them. I also own a poodle. The poodle is rated number 2. I can say one thing, its a LONG AZZ way from number one to number two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie'][quote]I was originally shocked to find out that they are the #1 most intelligent breed, followed by #2 BCs and #3 GSDs.[/quote]

whoaaaaaaaaaa there!! Sorry, but Border Collies have and always will be the smartest breed. They mention that on almost all dog shows when the border is up. Its on many web sites. I know from experience, afterall i own 3 of them. I also own a poodle. The poodle is rated number 2. I can say one thing, its a LONG AZZ way from number one to number two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
LMAO you guys are funny, you and Kat. Ok BCs are the smartest. The particular list I read had Standard Poodles as #1 Most Intelligent Breed. My list would have GSDs #1 For everything! :lol:

I think Poodles and BCs are very close but IMO while BCs have an obsessed, problem solving sort of intellignece Poodles have a spooooky sort of intelligence. All the Poodles I met were so well behaved they were almost not dogs - for instance when told to stay they just stayed - they didn't quiver in anticipation of being told release - he just went "oh stay, no problem, stay is simple" at sat there calmly. The poodles I've seen seem to intuitively know what they are supposed to be doing where as BCs are always testing to see what paticular way they are supposed to be doing what they are told - "should I sit like this or would putting this paw forward be even moooor perfect." :lol:

I think Poodles and BCs are very close but IMO while BCs have an obsessed, problem solving sort of intellignece Poodles have a spooooky sort of intelligence. All the Poodles I met were so well behaved they were almost not dogs - for instance when told to stay they just stayed - they didn't quiver in anticipation of being told release - he just went "oh stay, no problem, stay is simple" at sat there calmly. The poodles I've seen seem to intuitively know what they are supposed to be doing where as BCs are always testing to see what paticular way they are supposed to be doing what they are told - "should I sit like this or would putting this paw forward be even more perfect." :lol:

[quote name='Beautiful Border Collie']
I also own a poodle.[/quote]

Errr... what kind of Poodle? Huge difference between Standards and Minis and Toys. There's not supposed to be, but the others are all bred down from the Standards which are the original "real" Poodles.

I think it depends on who you want to believe. Not every single source I've read has listed BC's as number one. High, but not always number one. Some list Poodles, some list Retrievers and I'm sure there are others. I think these lists are just generalizations and don't intend to reflect the intelligence of every dog in every breed (so I don't get why people sometimes get defensive and think their dog is being dissed when it's JUST a generalization :oops: ). Good thing, too, because of my two Standards, one is sort of a dim bulb, but the other one... I'd put his trainability up against any dog anywhere.

I'm glad there was a thread somewhere that gave a nod to Standards as being more than fluff 'n stuff. They are real dogs with real work capabilities.

DP, my Perry has that very demeanor you speak of. "Stay? Okily dokily, I'll just sit right here until you get back." I could probably go out go lunch, have the car detailed and come back and Perry would still be patiently waiting in the same spot.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there,

The dogs we use up here in Toronto, Ontario are German Shepherds and Springer spaniels.

The shepherds are great dogs because of their strength, size and stamina. They are incredibly loyal and attentive to their handlers.

The spaniel on the other hand is more of a specialty dog. Often times they are used for drug/explosive work.