Dogomania

police breeds

deepseasnake

so who knows about police dogs?
I am interested in my local K9 unit as they have offerd me the opportunity to take their training course. I am wondering about breeds and what they are specificaly good at, I read the boxers are great police dogs but Ive never seen one. I also remember talking about the Malinosis as being better cut out for a cop dog, but again never seen one. At workingpitbull.com she praises the pit bull's ability in the field. so what do you guys know, I'm assuming each dog has a handfull of traits that out do the others and that the GSD and Malinosis type dogs are just better rounded.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

GSD's have long been the backbone of police K-9 work. Currently Malinois' are becoming very popular for patrol and drug work. However, I strongly feel that Mals should never go to a "green" handler. These dogs are high drive and require an experienced handler. They are great dogs though. Most are very social and have a great temperment.

Guest Anonymous

Rottweilers have been police/military dogs for ages. I saw two K9 handlers with rotts in the background during a news segment on the D.C. sniper case.

The question of the pit bull came up on another forum. They are not used because they do not have a proven history of working in this area, and are not a sanctioned breed for police work. But there are many pits who are titled in SchH and the breed could certainly handle it from what I understand. A trained protection dog is not an "attack" dog. They are very stable, and are typically the handler's family dogs on their off time, as well as give demos in schools etc.

Someday I may try my hand at pp, ring sport or SchH, and for me the only breed I would consider is the rottweiler.

Guest Anonymous

WOW! She has some awesome dogs! There is nothing like a good working dog.

When I have more time, money, etc. I'll definately get more involved in dog sports. My boy doesn't have the temperment to compete, but he likes doing the "jobs" I give him for fun.

I guess were I to consider another breed, the pit or american bulldog would be it. But I'm partial to the rotts. Like the pit, they are very versatile in their abilities.

I was a little confused though about her statement that rotts aren't an original herding breed. They in fact are. The problem is they were bred to work cattle, not sheep and ducks, so it takes them more to learn the softness necessary for sheep herding than the traditional SHEEP herding breeds.

Anyway, as always I could go on :roll: Sorry I can't help you with any K9 sites with what you're looking for deepseasnake.

I don't know about this. The problem I'd have with seeing Pits used in police work is that I think it would give even more ammunition to the BSL people. Think about it from the point of view of people who already hate them. It would seem to me like they would be thinking that training them to do police work (attack) "proves" that they are bad dogs and therefore dangerous. I'm just very uncomfortable at the thought of giving these dogs any more negative publicity than they already get and seeing them used as "attack" dogs, regardless of the circumstances, would give the die hard BSL folks even more fuel for their fire, I think.

Agree with you two, HF and Sashagirl.

Reading the website under Adults for sale: There is a female for sale that OFA'd -- "fair" (hips are fair).

One thing that I would never, ever do, is to breed a female with "FAIR" hips. I don't care if she was world champion 5 years in a roll. That's my opinion. I wouldn't breed her to an "excellent" hipped male, or even a "good" hipped male. I just would not breed her --- I think this is a vent. But anyway, why take a chance and breed her --- spay her!

AND here is another vent: Why continue to breed "Handler Aggressive" dogs? Personally, I would put them down. How on earth can you be confortable working a dog (show or police work) when you have to constantly worry about him/her getting aggressive on the YOU, the handler? Am I just missing something here? This is an indication that the line breeding is taking a toll on their temperment. Okay, maybe that was too hateful. It indicates that maybe that particular sire should NOT be bred to that particular female --- because they are producing "HANDLER AGGRESSIVE" offspring. Am I still missing something here? Why BREED a "HANDLER AGGRESSIVE" dog? There are others that are not "handler aggressive" that could be bred.

Okay, my vent for the hour.....

[quote]The problem I'd have with seeing Pits used in police work is that I think it would give even more ammunition to the BSL people.[/quote]

thats an interesting way of looking at it HF. While I do see your point I would tend to think police work would do the opposite.
If APBTs started to work with GSDs and Malinois I would think the general public would start seeing them as a legit working dog not a killer.
I'm from the school of belief that APBTs are thought of like they are because of the common street thug. The fact is no matter how many good APBT sites and publications are out there, when mrs Smith looks out her window there is some FUBU wearing gun toting moron with a APBT on 2 gauge shiping chain and 2.5" spike collar. I feel if the Police/Rescuers start to use Pits more, Mrs Smith will start to see the dog as useful and will change her belief steadily toward that of a GSD.
I would like to see pits treated more like GSDs because generally speaking GSD owners really know their dogs and are either retired police/military or train GSDs to work. This is the perfect persona for pits to undo all the atrocities done to the dog as a breed.

Guest Anonymous

Deepseasnake, I'm with you. There is nothing wrong with utilizing a working dog to the best of it's abilities, regardless of what the public's general impression of the breed is.

More good publicity, in any venue, is the way to change minds.

I dunno.... maybe it's a regional thing, but if you could see what the street thugs here and even some of the "professionals" are doing with the GSDs, too, it would make you cringe. Around here, when people get ANY kind of "protective" dog, they tend to want it mean. I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to say. For example, GSDs, though poorly bred ones, are fast becoming popular around here as "bad" dogs. Why? Because people see them on COPS and working locally and they want one that they think can do the same. Around here, GSDs are going to h*ll in a handbasket just because people have this image of a badarse police dog and they LIKE it. If I hear one more person bragging about their "police GSD" (as if that's a particular breed), I'll scream. In my area, Pit Bulls used in police work would do a tragic disservice to the breed IMO. It may be different in other areas, but I would hate to see it here.

With the precarious situation of Pit Bulls as it is, I just don't see anything about watching them take down someone, regardless of the circumstance (work) as good publicity. Add to it the media hype the first time footage is shown of one taking a criminal down and it gets sensationalized to death. Any "good publicity" will be out the window. Keep in mind that Pits are under far more scrutiny than probably any other breed. What is all in a day's work for a GSD will be under scrutiny for a Pit.

it must be a regional thing cuz its nothing like that here. In my neck of the woods you NEVER see GSDs on the end of a civilian lead and if you do, the civilian is really a retired cop or a current trainer. Well then if being a working dog would propagate "meaness" and not "Workness" than I'd agree with you. But in my area it would be the best thing for pits!

oh by the way where do you live?

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']I dunno.... maybe it's a regional thing, but if you could see what the street thugs here and even some of the "professionals" are doing with the GSDs, too, it would make you cringe. Around here, when people get ANY kind of "protective" dog, they tend to want it mean. I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to say. For example, GSDs, though poorly bred ones, are fast becoming popular around here as "bad" dogs. Why? Because people see them on COPS and working locally and they want one that they think can do the same. Around here, GSDs are going to h*ll in a handbasket just because people have this image of a badarse police dog and they LIKE it. If I hear one more person bragging about their "police GSD" (as if that's a particular breed), I'll scream. In my area, Pit Bulls used in police work would do a tragic disservice to the breed IMO. It may be different in other areas, but I would hate to see it here.

With the precarious situation of Pit Bulls as it is, I just don't see anything about watching them take down someone, regardless of the circumstance (work) as good publicity. Add to it the media hype the first time footage is shown of one taking a criminal down and it gets sensationalized to death. Any "good publicity" will be out the window. Keep in mind that Pits are under far more scrutiny than probably any other breed. What is all in a day's work for a GSD will be under scrutiny for a Pit.[/quote]

It's a cultural thing mostly here (Texas). Hispanics want the Rotty's and Pit bulls >>> yep, stereotyped: spike collar, the dog leading (pulling at a fast pace) them with a logging chain, being pulled down the street, while they are wearing the hair net, t-shirt underneath the flannel/cloth long sleeve shirt only buttoned on the top button, baggy pants. GOT THAT VISUAL? The dog, totally uncontrollable, tries to kill anything in his path. And after the *walk* the dog is chained to an old broken down car in the front yard. *** definately not meant any offense to you Stiff *** we're talking about the Hispanics in west Texas.

South Dallas -- African Americans, Rotts, "German Police Dogs" (as they call them), Pits and Dobies. Usually thrown in the back yard and just fed. Some do take very good care of their dogs (I'm talking about the scum that don't take care of them, just want a BAD A$$ DOG <<< you know the kind).

Typical white trash --- yep, want those "German Police Dogs" like they see on TV and Pit Bulls to guard their house and KILL ANYONE trying to break in. Ohhhh yeah, as if I want your crap? Trying not to vent, here.

no I hear you, I feel the same way but substitute all GSDs in your description for Dobies and thats what it looks like over here. It really is only pits and Dobies that are being used as man killers I get the impression that these 2 are typical for the west coast I've heard Cali is the same way.
This is interesting I wonder what other dogs are viewed as bad A$$ in other parts of the country?

I don't know about the REST of Florida,but around here (Gulf Coast/Tampa Bay) it seems most if not ALL of the gated communities/apartment complexes have a very strict breed policy. On my lease it states:

"No aggressive breeds are allowed to reside or be kept temporarily on the premises.This includes; GSD's,Pit Bulls(and Pit mixes),Doberman's,Rottweilers,Chows and Akitas.All other breeds are subject to the discretion of the property manager."

I'm assuming that these are the breeds that are considered to be an insurance liability...

Anyhow this seems to be the typical "badass list" around here....although I've seen an awful lot of ads for Presa Canario puppies in the paper lately,so I'm sure this will be the next condemned breed :-?

[quote name='deepseasnake'][b][color=red]This is interesting I wonder what other dogs are viewed as bad A$$ in other parts of the country?[/color][/b][/quote]

[color=blue][b]Yeah, that would be interesting to hear from the rest of the members in different locations. Anyone??[/b][/color]

[quote name='deepseasnake']oh yeah! I'm suprised that presas havent surpassed pits yet, I figure the pits have had the hot seat for quite awhile its about time for a change. I figured 2 days after the whipple killing every gun toting thug west of the mississippi would have one :roll:[/quote]

[b][color=red]NO KIDDING!! I have noticed an increase of advertisements of them after that, tho. [/color][/b]

I havent even been able to start yet, there are some variables that I've been working on but depending on a few student loans, It will take either 24 months or 14, so I'm shooting for the 14 but I have to make some banks happy with me again :lol:

I have been looking into alot of specialty units I want to do them all but the top five are K9, SWAT Sniper, SWAT Entry, Homicide and tactical trainer for spec. teams. Im leaning more towards the sniper and training positions but I also really want to do K9.....I dunno yet, just to much fun stuff out there :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit late, but thought I would add some input to the badass dogs we have here...

Seeing as Pits are banned in Australia, you can scratch them off. Any big mixed breed dog, especially GSD/Rotty Xs, are looked on as "vicious"...IMO I tend to watch out for the horrid, yappy little dogs :D

I don't know any drug dealers or know anyone who knows them, so can't help you out with that :wink: Staffys are very popular here, not only do you see a lot of them at obedience and out and about, but there are a lot advertised each week :-? as well as GSDs and Rottys. There are a LOT of GSDs here, now I am not trying to discriminate but a lot of Italians have them. Not so many Dobes though, which is kind of strange, they must be out of fashion :roll:. I wouldn't leave a purbred dog tied up outside my supermarket though, I don't want it stolen (I used to be worried someone would steal the biggest mutt of all time- BK, cos he was so pretty- even if they did they'd soon give him back :roll: ) Hunting dogs such as Bull Arabs and Maremmas go for high prices, I know nothing about them though but they are used in the bush to go pig hunting etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Lol, we don't have much of a problem with that! I don't really think you could call my town a city either, though. It's pretty small. Our only police dog is a chocolate lab named Hershey. :lol: We don't have any "attack trained" police dogs. But I've seen all kinds of dogs. I think I have the only Dobie here(hehe), but I've seen about three GSDs, a couple Rotts, and one pit. The popular dogs around here are hunting dogs. :wink: You see more labs than anything! Personally, I'm glad Dobies aren't "hip" anymore. That just means there's less BYB and puppy mills that breed them!!! I hate what's happening to the labs and GSDs. There getting to be like the Dalmatians were... We got our lab before they got "popular". She wasn't registered, and I'm not for sure if she's even purebred. :roll: I got her as a Christmas present... Hehe... This was one of the Christmas Puppies that turned out well, though! She's almost 9, and still going strong, even though she is a little...er...overweight... :wink: Whoops, got a little off track, but anyhoo... We just don't really have the dog trouble that big cities do. And I'm glad!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Firstly APBT are excellent and would do wuite well in police work I am reading a book my Mike Harlow andis about just that he basically evaluates dog for K9 work and as a canine cop i gotta believe him his personal picks are the AB and APBT. Due to various factors they could kepp up and even out-do a GSD in some fields. Deepsea the comment about FUBU was a little unwarrented kinda offensive, Im sure there are just as many white people as black people that misuse the breed, lets try to keep things in perspective a bit. This thread is old and dead I just had to get that out there when i sw the comment.

uh sorry rotten Im confused
[i]I said[/i]
[quote]when mrs Smith looks out her window there is some [b]FUBU wearing gun toting moron with a APBT on 2 gauge shiping chain and 2.5" spike collar.[/b] I feel if the Police/Rescuers start to use Pits more, Mrs Smith will start to see the dog as useful and will change her belief steadily toward that of a GSD. [/quote]
......um didnt say anything about black people there...
[i]you said[/i]
[quote]Im sure there are just as many white people as black people that misuse the breed[/quote]
yet you come out with that and then this
[i]you said[/i]
[quote]...lets try to keep things in perspective a bit...[/quote]

it just so happens that I am one of 3 white kids in a HUGE black family so I really doubt I would ever say anything to put the black race down seeing how Ive been raised as one. But if I ever decieded too the people around me have given me more than enough right to do so in a realalistic sense. I can speak of either race black or white with total confidence and as much understanding as is possible so I think you need to keep things in perspective here and stay outta my hair in reguard to race :wink: