Dogomania

Silken Windhounds!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='starcastle']This is all new to me, let's see if I can get my photo from the web to show.
I there any maximum size for the photo to show up?
Mine is pretty big...

A winters day last year

[img]http://www.silkenwindhound.com/starcastle/dscf0023.jpg[/img]

Gee I hope my sig turns up as well :-)[/quote]

This is a beautiful picture and at the request of a member I moved it to Everything About Dogs!!! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Hobbit']Chase? :o

My thoughts exactly! I'd be still standing still and she'd be a mile away and back before I took a step. :lol: I guess that's why "Wind" is in their name --- :wink:

There are some breeders listed with some really good websites at [url]www.breeders.net[/url][/quote]

I can't get one single breeder at breeders.net.
Don't know what zip code to use since I don't live in USA and would like to see ALL of their listings...

On the other hand I know every single Silken Windhound breeder personally but it would be fun to know what breeders were listed.
Sussi

Guest Anonymous

OK enter 27376 that is one for east coast
One for west coast would be 90071
Another is 43235
And one for the southern states is 75391 :D :D

Hope you have fun!!

[quote name='Rowie-the-Pooh']:o Opps forgot to add..

Star CAtle did YOU take that Pic?????????????

WOW!

YOU HAVE A TALENT IF YOU DID! :D :D :D

Your profile's pic is STUNNING too!!!!!!!!! :D

Myabe you should comsider proffesional photography? :wink:[/quote]

The secret is to have a good digital camera.
You can take hundreds of photos, there is bound to be at least one that is good :-) Save that one and delete the others!

A real good quality digital camera is quite expensive and like computers they are always half price next week :-) Something you have to live with I guess.

To the good camera you have to add 3 things.
* Photoshop (graphical program)
* Sensational graphic card to your computer, fast and with lot's of memory
* Extremely good quality monitor, not just the average cheap monitor, you need to really see what you are doing down to pixel level

But I am NOT a good photographer! But with all this stuff there is always that lucky shot !

I wonder where our avatars went, can't see any.
And can't remember what photo I chose as an avatar and when looking into the profile, the field that should contain the URL for the photo is suddenly empty.

Guest Anonymous

I remember meeting the originator of this mixbred dog.
He had both Shelties and Whippets in his kennels.
The 'windhounds' were a mix of both breeds/
AKC decided that this was so after serious investigation into the 'long haired whippets' the breeder maintained the dogs were and refused to register any of the offspring
Anyone who saw the dogs would have understood why - they were as timid as the people's shelties were and showed obvious family resemblance to the Sheltie line they had and also showed all the worst traits the lines of both breeds the people showed.
The mills jumped right on this 'new breed' as a profit maker and many still are sold through mills here.
Pretty pups but not a real breed even if some have been exported to gullible souls elsewhere.

Guest Anonymous

Starcastle-
I still can't see the Avatars, either.
I have been missing them for about a week!
You are not the only one.

Oh, and I wouldn't take this guest's comments too seriously.
From what I've read, they have quite a different temperament than guest has described.

:o Cool StarCastle! :o

Oh no...! Now I want a digital camera...

must get camera...must get camera....ahhhh :D

Oh, and IGNORE guest...he/she just like's to put ALL of us down...pretty big problem we have with guest around here... :evil: ANyway, I bet he/she never even saw a Windhound....just want's to put u down...IGNORE GUEST...we all do...

Have fun here! 8) :lol: :D

[quote name='Anonymous']I remember meeting the originator of this mixbred dog.
AKC decided that this was so after serious investigation into the 'long haired whippets' the breeder maintained the dogs were and refused to register any of the offspring
Anyone who saw the dogs would have understood why - they were as timid as the people's shelties were and showed obvious family resemblance to the Sheltie line they had and also showed all the worst traits the lines of both breeds the people showed.
The mills jumped right on this 'new breed' as a profit maker and many still are sold through mills here.
Pretty pups but not a real breed even if some have been exported to gullible souls elsewhere.[/quote]

Maybe you should read up on the history somewhat
[url]http://www.silkenwindhound.com/Starcastle/History/history_I.pdf[/url]

Among other things it describes the fact that the "longhaired Whippet" and the Silken Windhound are 2 breeds, different genepools, different studbooks, different standards and different looks.

Types differ, the color palette differs. Lot's of things are very much different.

All breeds start out as a mix of something else. That goes without saying.
How else could they come into being?

The key question is - when have they become a breed of their own?

I saw this picture where it was posted elsewhere, and I am hooked! What a beautiful dog. But checking out the websites on this dog, I thought it was a Borzoi/whippet mix?

New breeds have to start somewhere, and if they aren't regitered by the mighty AKC, well then it will be their loss. I seem to recall that if you can trace a dogs lineage back so many generations you can apply for AKC registration. I can't remember how many.

[quote name='Gordonmom']

New breeds have to start somewhere, and if they aren't regitered by the mighty AKC, well then it will be their loss. I seem to recall that if you can trace a dogs lineage back so many generations you can apply for AKC registration. I can't remember how many.[/quote]

Speaking of the AKC: The Kelpie Registry and people that own working Kelpies chose to NOT allow the AKC to get their hands on the Kelpie and make it a recognized breed. Mainly because we (Kelpie owners) and the Registry did not want the AKC show people getting a hold of our working Kelpies for "show" purpose.

A registry doesn't have to be "THE AKC" to register a dog breed --- WAIT before you blast me......hear me out. As long as the registry is striving for the betterment of the breed and is ETHICAL and not like Continential Kennel Club and some others ---- which will register ANYTHING as long as you send in the money, they don't care, they just want the money. Where is it written in stone or is law that EVERY dog MUST be registered with the AKC to be worthy of being called a "breed" or worth something? Who made AKC the GOD of registries? It started as a gentleman's dog registry for the rich and wealthy ---- personally, they are still a bunch of snobs. I know....I know.....it's ALWAYS been that way and it will ALWAYS be that way forever.

Personally, take like the Bullboxer people---if they want to keep records on the dogs, be strict about the dogs they register --- yeah, then start a BULLBOXER registry, and to heck with the AKC. When enough people have registered their dogs, have shows, do something educational----but be ETHICAL.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='starcastle'][quote name='Anonymous']I remember meeting the originator of this mixbred dog.
Pretty pups but not a real breed even if some have been exported to gullible souls elsewhere.[/quote]

Maybe you should read up on the history somewhat
[url]http://www.silkenwindhound.com/Starcastle/History/history_I.pdf[/url]

Among other things it describes the fact that the "longhaired Whippet" and the Silken Windhound are 2 breeds, different genepools, different studbooks, different standards and different looks.

Types differ, the color palette differs. Lot's of things are very much different.

All breeds start out as a mix of something else. That goes without saying.
How else could they come into being?

The key question is - when have they become a breed of their own?[/quote]

Maybe you shouldn't believe everthing you read on the net :lol: !
It amazes me how much 'history' gets changed when people decide it reads better a different way and it changes even faster when profits are in question! If I had the time I'd dig back into the old dog world magazines that show the development of the advertising for this mix to what it is today. Its there if you choose to check it out. It also clearly shows the 'breeds' are one and the same or developed from the same shaky sources.
Not all breeds started as a mix of something else. To begin with there were no 'something elses' to do mixing with. Most breed types actually developed out of a base gene pool into variations on the general theme of canine due to human intervention added in as a part of the other selection criteria such as climate etc.
I'm amazed constantly at how many people mouth puppy mill mantras when discussing the mixing of dogs for sale to the gullible at high prices.
I guess its true if you say something often enough people will believe it is true and then think any truth offered is a lie.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei'][quote]A registry doesn't have to be "THE AKC" to register a dog breed [/quote]

I agree 100%. Ethical breeding practices, more than registry should determine breed validity (but not exclusively!). Breeds of antiquity like the Akbash, the Bolognese, the Fila, and the Tibetan Mastiff are not recognized by the AKC.[/quote]

Actually its only unpopular breeds and mixbreds that AKC does not have registered. The moment a breed gets popular AKC registration is sought by people within the breed. Just ask the JRT and Border Collie people about that if you want to see the fur fly :lol: AKC registration does absolutely nothing in terms of 'ruining' a breed - unethical breeders do that little job along with irresponsible owners.
Ethical breeding to me does not include mixbreeding to make pups for dollars to sell to the gullible. Nor does it include living off puppy production and sales for ones income.
Certainly there are single breed registries out there that do a good job of being custodians of their breeds - but in that area too I don't include the registries for mixes among them.

Yo, Tiggerress..I don't hear anything either! :lol:

Was that a buzzing sound? Must be that ANNOYYING fly again...or should I say GUEST! :lol:

AKC don't hafto recognise a breed to show everyone else that it real! :evil:

The AKC aren't like the lords over dogs or anything fly....I mean guest. :evil:

Everyone else.....IGNORING NOW! :wink:

Can't we just kick Guest off Dogo? :x

You seem to forget something important.
AKC only matters in USA.

And the world is whole lot bigger place than just USA and outside USA AKC does not mean squat.

Sorry, but that is the truth.

Kennel clubs and what breeds they recognise or not, is entirely on national levels.

What is a recognised breed in one country is considered a mutt in another.
There is no such thing as a universal concept of what is a recognised breed.

Not even inside FCI the same breeds are recognised everywhere.
And many countries associated with FCI recognises breeds that are not recognised by FCI. And certainly not by AKC since there is not one single dog from those breeds within USA.

The "recognition" is actually not such a big deal, it is a pretty local phenomenon.
Something people always seem to forget as they go on in their own little duckpond believing it to be the center of the world.

[quote]

Maybe you shouldn't believe everthing you read on the net :lol: !
It amazes me how much 'history' gets changed when people decide it reads better a different way and it changes even faster when profits are in question! If I had the time I'd dig back into the old dog world magazines that show the development of the advertising for this mix to what it is today. Its there if you choose to check it out.
[/quote]

I have just about every issue of Windhound, Sighthound etc if that is what you mean...

[quote]
It also clearly shows the 'breeds' are one and the same or developed from the same shaky sources.
[/quote]

Here is the biography of one of those "shaky" resources.
What does your credentials look like?
[url]http://www.silkenwindhound.com/Starcastle/History/Francie.pdf[/url]

[quote]
Not all breeds started as a mix of something else.
[/quote]

And I guess the Lord himself put the Poodle on earth complete with a pedigree from a kennel club instigated in heaven?

[quote]
I'm amazed constantly at how many people mouth puppy mill mantras when discussing the mixing of dogs for sale to the gullible at high prices.
I guess its true if you say something often enough people will believe it is true and then think any truth offered is a lie.[/quote]

A pet quality Silken Windhound can be had for about 250-300 US dollar.
In my country you have to pay about twice that amount for a mutt...

But I guess the perception of high prices are different and depends on your circumstanses and what luck you've had in life.

[quote name='starcastle']You seem to forget something important.
AKC only matters in USA.

And the world is whole lot bigger place than just USA and outside USA AKC does not mean squat.

Sorry, but that is the truth.

Kennel clubs and what breeds they recognise or not, is entirely on national levels.

What is a recognised breed in one country is considered a mutt in another.
There is no such thing as a universal concept of what is a recognised breed.

Not even inside FCI the same breeds are recognised everywhere.
And many countries associated with FCI recognises breeds that are not recognised by FCI. And certainly not by AKC since there is not one single dog from those breeds within USA.

The "recognition" is actually not such a big deal, it is a pretty local phenomenon.
Something people always seem to forget as they go on in their own little duckpond believing it to be the center of the world.[/quote]

Thank you, Starcastle.