Dogomania

Kenzo with allergies???? Advise please!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Kenzo has had one mattery eye (right), a few sneezes, and some extra itching....plus, I noticed yesterday that the hair on his front legs is getting bitten off.

Any suggestions??? We were thinking it might be allergies, and according to our vet (over the phone) are giving him 12.5 mg Benadryl twice a day. Now I'm concerned about this hair thing on his legs....

Guest Anonymous

Never had a flea on him! At least not that we know of. We used Frontline last year, but not this year since our neighbor has only once seen a flea on his GS Pointer and he's had her for 11 years in that house.

I just got off the phone with the vet and she said that humans that DON'T have allergies are even having problems right now. I talked to a few people here at work that don't have allergies and they are all congested as well. Anyway, the vet said that the biting of the skin is due to allergies and if he's not improving by Monday to bring him in.

I feel bad cuz I noticed it the other day, but I thought it was just dirt on his white legs...and it's not! :(

Guest Anonymous

Call the vet and see if you can put some Hydrocortizone Cream on it.... I do not know if it will hurt dogs or not but I do know that it relieves itching in humans soooo.... if you call maybe they will say yes!!! I will cross my fingers!! :D

Guest Anonymous

Have fun! You could always wrap a bandaid or something of that nature around the place after you put the hydro. on him!! :wink: It may not last long but at least it will let some of it get on there!!

Little baby socks work fine with the feet cut out. I just spray the sock with some bitter apple to keep the dog from chewing the sock off.

The Hydrocortizone creme sounds like an idea to me! Some dogs really respond to it, some don't. We have one that doesn't respond to it.

We have an older heeler that developed an allergy last summer. We, as well as our vet, have tried everything, Prednisone, Dexamethasone, Hydrocortizone creme, Benedryl, other brand of antihistimines, dips, baths etc... ---- none of them have worked. We are still trying different things. She is much better this year than she was last year. This year we are bathing her in an Oatmeal shampoo with Tea Tree oil added. It seems to alleve the itching for about 2 days.

Newfie --- was your dog always allergic to stuff or did he seem to develope this one day? Scooter was the picture of health, then she was bitten by a Copperhead snake, then shortly after that her health started declining and the allergy(ies) started. The vet is scratching his head --- ALL of her tests are normal.

We are trying a more natural approach now, since she has been on Prednisone for so long. With allergies, the scratching starts, this irritates the skin and can cause sores then, along comes a Staph infection (it's common). It just seems like a no-win situation!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']I hope this helps as I have a dog that is allergic to everything. I ran through this checklist at the first sign of Emmitt's allergies. First off would be the fleas but since you already said that your dog didn't have fleas, we can discount that theory. Next, did this just start or is it all year around? More than likely, it sounds as if they just started. Have you started to use a new product or switched to a new food? How is the pollen and ragweed out in Iowa? Do you have mold anywhere? How about dust? Start to clean the house a little more. Give your dog a bath weekly with shampoos made with oatmeal, aloe and tea tree oil. Wash your dog's bedding. I would use a hydrocortizone cream and something called Jake's Remedy. You can get it from Dogwise.com. It works in restoring hair. I used this on Emmitt's back feet and neck and the hair grew back. I really don't like to have my dog on Prednisone. It is a steroid and long use can cause liver damage. I would also recommend giving doses of Vitamin E and Vitamin A. I don't know how much your dog weighs but there is a book called The Allergy Solution for Dogs by Shawn Messonnier, DVM. The dosage levels are located in this book. This is really an awesome book. I would also recommend supplements of Biotin and Brewer's Yeast. I hope this helps. Like I said, Emmitt is allergic to everything. He is allergic to commercial dog foods, tree and grass pollen, mold, dust and ragweed. I bathe him every other week and give him supplements. I finally have gotten the hair back on his back feet.[/quote]

OK. Here goes.
This happened a little last year at this time (just sneezing) and allergies are very bad this year for humans. Pollen counts are very high (except for today...I get a daily pollen count emailed to me). I have the hardest time with allergies/asthma in August/September.
Have not had a mold problem. Maybe in our basement but Kenzo and Kika don't go down there...neither do I unless it's to do laundry. It's gross.
Dust...Hubby and I are both allergic to it so we do a pretty good job of keeping it away. Just did curtains this weekend! Plus, we have hardwood floors and if we don't keep them swept, we have dirt everywhere thanks to our lovely pups :wink: .
As for bathing, shibas should only be bathed when needed due to their coat's waterproof thing...blah blah. BUT, I can bathe him tonight if you think it's best!
Prednisone....oh that's bad. I've been on it myself for asthma attacks and it's bad bad bad.
Benadryl is working finally, I think. His eye has cleared up and the itching has improved.
Now, we can hope for an early frost to end this for ALL of us, humans and non humans.

OH! Kenzo is a whopping 30 pounds.

Guest Anonymous

HOLY COW...yeah...I'm lucky to only have him at 30lbs!

OH! I saw my FIRST newfie this weekend! I do volenteer work for a shelter once a month at PetCo (they bring in some of the animals and we talk to people about the shelter etc). There was a newfie at the check out and he was SOO beautiful but a mess. They took him down to the creek earier and had green stuff in his coat. A bath was planned apon arrival at home! :wink: I was giggling to myself, though. He was drooling the whole time and even his feet were full of drool! :D Such a sweetie though. My house doesn't have room for an extra couch though...and I HAVE to have my pups on the couch with me!

I would love a newfie or saint but am not sure I could handle the drool as you and K can. Best not get one then. Although if I did get one there would be NO way I could let him/her go. I'm such a sucker.

Guest Anonymous

Newfiemom I talked to my dad last night and they have a Bloodhound...Scarlet is her name... She drools like there is no tomorrow!! It is worse when you cook or she picks up a scent in the house.. They have drool all over the wall... My stepmom calls it her adobe home because there is usually grass mixed in it!!! :D :P :wink: