Dogomania

Anybody know anything about Catahoulas ?

ShadyLady

Guest Anonymous

I have a blue merle with tan trim Catahoula puppy. (9 months old)
She is a fantastic dog. We live in Chicago, and she's very happy! There's even another catahoula at the park. She swims and goes to the dog park everyday so she gets plenty of exercise. I must say she seems pretty attached to both of her caregivers -- and hates if either/both is/are absent. She learns very quickly, is a little bit stubborn, but she loves to please. She doesn't "herd" other dogs at the park as the cattle dogs do, she just likes to wrestle or play tug.

I believe their are breeders in Europe.

A couple of interesting web sites:
This guy wrote a book, and is very knowledgeable:
[url]http://www.donabney.com/index.html[/url]

[url]http://www.catahoulaleopard.com/[/url]

[url]http://catahoulas.org/[/url]

Thanks mags and mei-mei I am very interested in these dogs as they share many of the traits of my breed eg merle , glass eyes , blind and deafness problems and my dogs are also herding .Does this breed work cattle and sheep ? And what exactly is hog driving I checked out a couple of sites and I am really keen to learn more about them and if anyone owns one and can tell me what personality their dog has I would love for you to send me an email at [email][email protected][/email]

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

:D Not many people know what great dogs the Houla can be, I would not have any other dog after owning one, My ex had one that was so smart, but it seemed to me the only place to find one was through a breeder and I was not going to do that. I got so lucky one day that a group in my area have saved a momma dog that was going to be PTS. I am now the proud mommie of Louisiana Red Mojo or MO!!! :P. They are very much tempered like the ASD and can have many of the same skills..... but they have the gift to JUMP very very high !!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen one clear an 8 foot fence. :o

Koolie --- the Catahoula's that were used on the ranch, years ago had lots of bite to them. They were used primarily on wild cattle and cattle that liked to fight. The Catahoula's didn't back down, but were surely rough and several of the cows had to be sutured at the end of the day. Those were dog-broke cattle by the time they were loaded in the trailers. So, dog-broke that a puppy could have moved them. They have lots of bark and bay --- something I personally don't like in a dog around cattle because it scares some cattle and stresses them out. Stress causes weight loss and too much running --- which causes weight loss. Anything that causes weight loss is not good --- especially if you are taking them to the market. Some people will argue that all the barking and baying soothes the cattle and makes them gentle, I've never seen this --- ever.

The Catahoula's we used and other ranches used were of the dominant personality. They were a no-non-sense type dog when it came to working. They were not forgiving, nor were they gentle. They run in bite and run out, no working style to my liking.

If you are wanting something for wild cattle or cattle that will fight --- then a Catahoula may suit you.

I would not use a Catahoula on sheep --- they are too rough.

Beware of the Catahoula's that have an infusion of Pit (no offense to the APBT people), for they can be extremely animal aggressive (they work wonderfully on Javalina and feral hogs).

Catahoula's are excellent hog dogs. Meaning, used for hog hunting. Some will bay up the hog and wait for you....and some won't wait for you (those need a little more training). Some are used to kill the hog (not a nice picture, but it's done).

The Catahoula's we used (not any longer, switched to using mostly Kelpies & ACD's) were not pet's. They were working dogs, knew their role and were very good at what they done. We just got tired of suturing cattle after they worked them. They were nice, but had no problem biting.

Are you looking to add something to the Koolie? OR just want a different breed to work?

As with any breed, there are good Catahoula breeders --- that breed specifically for working cattle and have the genetics to do so. I've never seen one used on sheep --- they are just too rough. You may be able to back them off the sheep, but why take a chance.

I agree with Hobbit, I would be afraid to use a Cat. on sheep. Those that I have had (I have had 3) and those that I have seen are WAY too rough. While you MAY be able to teach them to not be so rough, IMO you would be better off using with a breed that is not bred as much for their toughness. (Not to mention that Cats are VERY hard headed.) They aren't much for taking orders. They are more the type that you "turn them loose and let them do their thing". (I am talking about working stock or hunting critters here, NOT running the streets.) :D

I know that Paul Neuman has a couple of Catahoula Leoprad Dogs. I read an article on him and his dogs somewhere once. I also know that in the south they're breeding them to American Bulldogs to produce a line of dogs they're calling Catahoula Bulldogs. That's the extent of my knowledge.