Dogomania

Heat cycle

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Oh Sasha so harsh........I suggest if you absolutley have to breed that you do some research. I know I have been researching this topic alot. I would read as many books on breeding if I could if I were you, there is so much to consider, lots can go wrong. Are you prepared?

Not putting any one down here as I was once in the situation. I did see everyones side to this and I do only plan on breeding McKenzie once. I hope you all can respect this and stand by me here! You all know I love ya

Guest Anonymous

First off I would start with the regular checkups that every dog needs. Then the checks that a dog , especially a lab, needs OFA, CERF, and burcellious. OFA is to check for Hip and elbow dysplasia which is all to common in labs. CERF is for the eyes. Burcellious is a doggy VD which can render your female and the male both sterile. Is she up to date on shots and has she been wormed.

Next are you ready for vet checks on the female and the pups. Do you have the money put back in case mom needs and emergency c-section? If moms milk is bad or she has none or too many pups to handle are you ready to get up at all hours of the night to feed? Are you ready to deal with a cleft pup if you happen to have one? What to you do if the female has a black discharge after birth? How long is the normal time to wait in between pups? If the pups start to show signs of hp dysplaysia or seizures are or will you have room to keep them forever?

Are you willing to lose your female if she dies in the birthing process? It happens more than we know! Do you have a spay/neuter contract for the pups you are going to have? Are you willing to take them back if the owners decide they cannot keep them?

Breeding is not something to go into blindly..Help is out there in the form of mendors, books, vets, and etc... It is not a money maker.. Labs are the number one breed in the US and they are also in every shelter all over this world. They carry hip dysplasia like nobody's buisness... Please before you breed check for all of these things and do research on your dogs line. Always check a male too for the same things. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Your welcome Newfiemom! I realize people are going to breed dogs. So much goes into breeding and you can lose so much. You may have a litter that is just fine but then again you can lose every pup and the mother also...and come home with a vet bill. When my father raised setters (before they gave Parvo shots) he had a litter of 12 pups all die of Parvo, thus after IV fluids and antibiotics. I have bottle fed pups at all hours of the night and housed rescue rescue Labs when someone decides that the cute little pup, now a 60-85 lb 1 yr old is too much "puppy". It happens alot more than I care to see. In Jac's case you also have to find owners that are willing to pay for the vet care that a pup might need for those "accidents" that might occur. (Broken Femurs-approx$1000 total at 6 months). Most average owners will put a pet down> Sad but true!
If someone is serious they will be willing to do the research and pay for the tests and the dogs and titles and find mentors. Most of all they will have the passion and the heart. Their dogs will be their friends, their family, their children!