Dogomania

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everybody!
I have a 10 month old RR puppy, who is my spoiled daughter.
I have done some research, but have some questions.
Also, any of you dog lovers live in Atlanta?
:D
Also, how do I get paws?
Please tell me how to look up the information.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you.
Does anyone out there have a Rhodesian Ridgeback (RR)? :P
Hmmmm...............................pretty quiet out there. :(
Has anyone seen an RR?
Heard of the "Lion Hunter"?

8)

[quote name='Aroura']We have a gorgeous sable ridgeback that lives near us called Simba.
Every second dog around here is part ridgeback, you can see because of the fur on their back. They are lovely dogs.
BTW cute pic! :D[/quote]

SABLE :o NOT A COLOUR IN THE BREED STANDARD.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SABLE?
MAYBE IT IS A CROSS OR A MISMARK.
ROO

Guest Anonymous

Ruby has the beautiful "Red Wheaten" color, and the little white blaze/star on her chest.
People we meet always remark on her beautiful color & how sweet/friendly she is. That is partly what makes her such a joy to take to festivals, parks, pet stores, etc.
Yes, we are proud parents! :D

The books say that RRs are cautious with strangers? :-?
Any knock at the door, or strange noises & she will bark a scary "hound from hell" bark (especially if she was napping). :o
But if we are outside walking her on a leash, she thinks everyone & every dog wants to meet her just as much as she wants to meet them!
Maybe it is because she has had such a traumatic puppyhood, she needs everyone to like her & craves the attention.
She is a "velcro hound"........she has to be in the same room.....hates closed doors........she is fine as long as she is near us.
She definitely has abandonment issues. :(

Does anyone know if Rhodesian Ridgebacks usually are truly reserved with strangers? The ASPCA book says that that character trait makes them good watchdogs.
Just curious.

Guest Anonymous

There are rare black and tan RRs out there. It rarely occurs but has been known to happen! I believe it is a recessive gene. RRs come in black nose, liver nose and the standard calls for light to red wheaten. The original African standard back in the 1920's & 30s had Brindle as one of the colours. I have seen recent photos of a brindle RR so it also will very rarely turn up.

Tiggeress we have Rhodesian Ridgebacks too. I see you have a sweet livernose there!

It seems your girl enjoys her walks and knows you (mom) has okayed everyone so she knows its safe, and she might be one who is a very social gal. RRs are generally aloof with strangers but you may not notice this right away. Our girl LOVES people is a squeeky wiggle bum and licks everyone, but after the initial greeting she portrays the aloofness trait - doesn't want to be fussed over, if people call her over she may or may not come.

Your girl is also still a pup so the general traits will likely come with age. You are lucky she sticks so close to you, ours are like this until they reach the independance age. RRs generally have a high prey drive and are strong minded - as the breed is a hound and hounds were taught to think for themselves, so later down the road you may not have a dog so willing to stay and will be oblivious to you calling her back. Not all RRs are like this however. I personally prefer their independance as opposed to those breeds who are always eager - in-your-face type dogs. :D

Did you get Ruby from Ridgeback Rescue? Love to hear more about her!!

Guest Anonymous

Hi RR Lover-
Actually the picture is one I found on the site. We don't have any computer pictures of her yet.
It is a RR, so it looks a lot like her.
Ruby is a black nosed Red Wheaton.
Didn't mean to mislead anyone, but some people don't know what RR's look like. One of these days I'll get a digital camera, so I can post real pictures of her. :roll:

We adopted Ruby at the end of April from Atlanta Pet Rescue. They saved her from the pound. :o They normally don't take large dogs, but she has such a sweet temperament, they knew they could place her with a good home. She was already house trained! :D They gave her most of the shots, and spayed her before we took her home! 8)
She was 30 lbs. and say she was born in Oct., so 6 months old then.
Now she is approx. 10 months & 50 lbs.
How big do the females get? When will she stop growing? :-?

I have taught her to sit, lay down, shake paws, & "high five" from reading books. I'm looking forward to taking her to obedience classes. I want to teach her to come, stay, heel & not to jump up on people.

Please tell me about your RRs! How many do you have? Which kind, and for how long? What state/country do you live in? Do you have a yard? (I live in an apartment....we take her out several times a day)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

[quote name='RRLover']There are rare black and tan RRs out there. It rarely occurs but has been known to happen! I believe it is a recessive gene. RRs come in black nose, liver nose and the standard calls for light to red wheaten. The original African standard back in the 1920's & 30s had Brindle as one of the colours. [/quote]

Its still a mismark :lol:
The breed standard does not have these colours in them now :wink:
Roo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

From what I have read it is a double recessive gene that causes black & tan. I was trying to make the point that black and tan is what they are called, not generally sable and the colour has been known to turn up - as is brindle.

I know what the colour standard is - as I mentioned it's light to red wheaten.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks all for the welcome! :)

Hi K,
Yes B&T just like Rotties, actually I've heard that with the B&T RR's people mistake them for Dobermans!!

What are the acceptable colours for Staffs?

[quote]it seems as you say about the recessive gene thing that the breeders are afraid if B&T's are allowed then eventually all Staffs would only come in B&T is this true or scare mongering? [/quote]

Well a proper breeder should be striving to produce dogs who fall within the breed standard, so it would be wrong to start breeding an incorrect colour. It would seem likely that if B&T's were acceptable, if bred to another B&T or other colour, then B&T would show up later down the line - so I see the logic in breeders being afraid of B&T and not just using fear as a scare tactic. B&T is beautiful though!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

[quote name='Anonymous']Thank you.
Does anyone out there have a Rhodesian Ridgeback (RR)? :P
Hmmmm...............................pretty quiet out there. :(
Has anyone seen an RR?
Heard of the "Lion Hunter"?

8)[/quote]
Hi, yes i have a 1 1/2 yr old Rhodesian ridgeback aka African lion hound he (Jake) would be the second one that i have had the pleasure of knowing so far in this life. They are very loyal (if you were to get separated by states even) they would find their way home (beautiful thing) They are also quite the handsome breed, they are sometimes very serious and although they are calm inside they are fast and agile when they want to be or have to be. They will protect those they love without needing to be told. They are awesome to look at to love and to know!!!

• 10 months later...

Oh the joy of a RR puppy. I have a liver girl that is 4 yrs old. As a pup she was very friendly and open to meet everyone. She was extremely confident not getting into fights but would posture everyone. Until, one day some old gal(older bitch) put her in her place. I laughed. As the old gal was just telling her we don't do that here.
Aloofness, well she can be aloof but she quickly sizes up the situation. She rarely barks but is always on guard. She'll run to the door or where ever the sound is comming from to check it out. RR are hounds so don't get frustrated if they don't break dance on command. They were breed to hunt and protect. Alot of time on thier own making life and death decisions so they are pretty confident and just making sure you know what you're doing. Once you get past that (about 2 yrs of age) you'll have the best companion for life.
If she's truley a purebred RR bitch that you got from rescue I'd check for Dermoid Sinus. Purebred RR bitches are expensive. So I see no reason to turn one in. Palpate the back of the neck and you're looking for a string or thread like object under the skin. Google it for more info. Enjoy and don't over feed her. I hate seeing overweight dogs.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting my first puppy in 5 days, I'm really scared and anxious, I have done all my homework, and am well prepared with food bedding ect ect.... I'm getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback as I think they are a very special breed. Anyone out there who wants to give some advice to me ? :wink:

I have a brindle Rhodesian Ridgeback / lab [IMG]http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v169/77/8/547225503/n547225503_1877514_7072.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v156/77/8/547225503/n547225503_1919436_2063.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v156/77/8/547225503/n547225503_1919445_4809.jpg[/IMG]