Dogomania

akita

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!'][snip
By the way, just to jump into the hot seat, I, too, would sooner get out of a car in a yard that had a Pit Bull in it than one that had an Akita. snip.[/quote]

Have you considered also that maybe you find the breed hard to 'read'?
I know I have a hard time reading many rotties and chows and akitas in terms of knowing what they are thinking/feeling and can read other breeds far better than those when I meet them. I think some breeds have slightly different expression levels to them which makes them less readily understood as to their intentions.
I find yellow eyed dogs and blue eyed dogs harder to read myself also - not impossible mind you :wink: just harder.

The pups [i]were[/i] biting out of fear. That's what I was trying to point out. They're not aggressive, they're doing what comes naturally to all dogs... defending themselves. In some cases, it could also be that they were taken from the litter too early, and therefore didn't have enough time to develop proper bite inhibition (knowing what and where to bite, this is important for all breeds). I see your point about the increasing amount of human aggressive dogs, but keep in mind that the dogs don't pass on their own past, they only pass on their natural temperment. This has helped the breed in some ways, but you're right that the amount of pit bulls with less than stable temperments in increasing. I don't think though, that these dogs are the majority of the breed, nor that the majority of the breeders are breeding naturally unstable dogs. Another thing I wanted to point out is that if you want an idea of the temperment a typical pit bull has, check out some of the fighting ring bust pictures/videos. These dogs have been abused/neglected/who knows what else, but in most cases they can be led out on leads (not catch poles), and in some cases are even carried. Many of the dogs wag their tails at the AC officers, and show absolutely no signs of aggression whatsoever.

Oh, I no doubt find Akitas hard to read. To dig my own grave a little further, the same feelings I have for Akitas, I have for Chows. I tend to want to believe that it's because (regarding Chows) they are so overbred and undersocialized around here and they do tend to be unstable. The few Akitas I've known in this area including the one in the neighboring town that attacked the cop were ALL aggressive, though none ever attacked me, personally. My (what's the word I'm looking for here...?) apprehension of them is the reason I've never been put into a position to be confronted by one, personally. I won't go near them. It may have a lot to do with not being able to "read" them. That's actually a good point, come to think of it, and I think it's probably a major reason for so many ill behaved Akitas... people who buy them who can't "read" them, either, and they don't get the training and handling they deserve. I'm sure they are wonderful dogs for the people who [b][u]can[/u][/b] read them, but too many people end up with them with no regard for their actual temperament. It's kind of like not everyone can understand and appreciate the beauty and intelligence of a standard poodle, but they are wonderful for those who do. Good point, Guest. I'll openly admit I don't "click" with Akitas which is a good reason for me to avoid them.

I wisk the minimal requirements were a little tougher too , but apparently the lawmakers around here don't. :( I think they would have accepted a videotape, but I didn't have access to one, so there wasn't much I could do. I don't know if pictures would have worked, since it would be hard to determine whether "abuse" was taking place or not from a still photo.

goo, I dont know if you are a big guy or not (or even if you are a guy :) )
but most of the time, I round up the guys and we will just go take the dog. Mostly if its that bad people around will testify for you and the police will be glad you solved their problems, I know its not always the best way, and you know your situation better than I do, but until the lawmakers get their sh*t together we have to do what we have to do. If you cant do it yourself call your local rescue, mine has a bunch of big bounty hunter lookin guys there and they love to do stuff like that :D

Not a guy, and not particularly big or intimidating either :lol: I sometimes thought about taking him, but they weren't going to give him up, and if he "disappeared", they would have guessed I had him (even if I didn't). His "owners" wouldn't have called the police anyway (they had both been arrested several times for drugs and other "minor" crimes, and definitely held it against the police), they would have just found him and taken him themselves. The laws here would have been on their side. Dogs are considered property, so even rescuers can't take them... it has to be left up to the AC. I know it's not really the ACOs fault, they're only going by what the law says, but it just doesn't seem right that people can get away with that much.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']snipIt's kind of like not everyone can understand and appreciate the beauty and intelligence of a standard poodle, but they are wonderful for those who do. Good point, Guest. I'll openly admit I don't "click" with Akitas which is a good reason for me to avoid them.[/quote]

I think it might be an oriental breed thing mostly - the breeds were developed for a completely different purpose than the 'pet' side of things that the Western dogs were also expected to become on top of their 'job' what ever it might be. Different culture creating a different level of expression in the dogs makes sense to me. We humans do tend to select for what we want even when we are not concious of it.
I mean honestly poodles are so expressive they deserve stage careers :roll: don't you think? and who can miss what a beagle is 'saying' with those eyes and ears? but chow faces are much more 'stoic' and hard to see for me and Akitas and yep Shibas too for me - now I know if I lived with them I'd learn to see them properly after all I can read 'raccoon' body language since I had one of those as a teen so I don't see why a dog would be any more of a puzzle :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']snipIt's kind of like not everyone can understand and appreciate the beauty and intelligence of a standard poodle, but they are wonderful for those who do. Good point, Guest. I'll openly admit I don't "click" with Akitas which is a good reason for me to avoid them.[/quote]

I think it might be an oriental breed thing mostly - the breeds were developed for a completely different purpose than the 'pet' side of things that the Western dogs were also expected to become on top of their 'job' what ever it might be. Different culture creating a different level of expression in the dogs makes sense to me. We humans do tend to select for what we want even when we are not concious of it.
I mean honestly poodles are so expressive they deserve stage careers :roll: don't you think? and who can miss what a beagle is 'saying' with those eyes and ears? but chow faces are much more 'stoic' and hard to see for me and Akitas and yep Shibas too for me - now I know if I lived with them I'd learn to see them properly after all I can read 'raccoon' body language since I had one of those as a teen so I don't see why a dog would be any more of a puzzle :wink:[/quote]

I hear ya there! Kika is impossible to read! Kenzo, he's got a little more to his face than she does, as far as expressions are concerned. But yes, Shibas are very hard to read...until you know them and their body language, that makes it a little easier! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

By the way, take a gander at the new set of pix I put up on page 2 and 3 on the link below. They are older, but you can see my Kenzo as a 4mth old :wink: