Dogomania

GREAT DANE OWNERS OUT THERE?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

BEING AN AVID LOVER OF BIG DOGS I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WERE ANY GREAT DANE OWNERS OUT THERE.
I'VE SEEN A LOT OF DIFFERENT DOGS WITH COMMENTARY BY THERE OWNERS BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY GREAT DANE OWNERS?

Are there some out there? If so I give you credit,.....the average age doesn't go past 8 years right? I always wanted one but it's gotto be heart breaking after 8 years and then there gone!

ANY REPLIES?

cepter.

I don't have one right now either, but I used to raise and train them for shows. Our dogs lifespan averaged about 10 years. Some bloodlines have shorter lifespans than others. They are awesome dogs, especially good with kids. As soon as I have the room, I'm going to get another!

I am down to one dane now,
Used to show them and breed them,
on average our breeding used to live till 10 and a half, again it is to do with
bloodlines, etc.
I did buy one in years ago from totally different lines, we lost her with bone cancer at just under 3 years old.
she had one litter when she was two before the bone cancer, and really they were great temperaments, but just pure pet quality..
Guess what her son died of bone cancer too.
They are a fantastic breed, my dane Emily is now 7 and a half and still looks about 4, and still moves like a youngster, she goes out every night with the frenchies and they free run 2 miles.
If you want one please really really look into the bloodlines there are loads of problems in the breed, and ofcourse checkout the average lifespan of the bloodlines.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='cepter']BEING AN AVID LOVER OF BIG DOGS I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WERE ANY GREAT DANE OWNERS OUT THERE.
I'VE SEEN A LOT OF DIFFERENT DOGS WITH COMMENTARY BY THERE OWNERS BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY GREAT DANE OWNERS?

Are there some out there? If so I give you credit,.....the average age doesn't go past 8 years right? I always wanted one but it's gotto be heart breaking after 8 years and then there gone!

ANY REPLIES?

cepter.[/quote]

I had Danes for many years and did Dane Rescue too. Some lines live longer than others and some have better temperaments than others too.
Someone once told me they suspected some breeders liked the shorter lived dogs as it meant more space for the up and coming show dogs :-( but I really think people started ignoring health in their breeding choices in favor of 'pretty' and it spread. I've had danes go over 11 and know breeders who had them go 13+ and there was on breeder years ago in Alaska who was breeding for longevity and had dogs over 14.

Guest Anonymous

WOW! THANKS A LOT! I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT SOME LAST UP TO 10 YEARS OF AGE. IF AND WHEN WE GET A HOUSE I WOULD LOVE TO GET A DANE BUT IT'S GOTTA BE A BIG HOUSE. I DON'T WANT TO CRAMP THE DOG UP.
SO I GUESS I SHOULD REALLY CHECK OUT THE BLOODLINES IF AND WHEN I GET ONE? IT 'S A SHAME WHEN PEOPLE OVER BREED THEM. YOU GET THE ONES WITH LOADS OF PROBLEMS ETC.
THAT'S AWESOME THAT THEY'RE GREAT WITH KIDS TOO.
THEY SEEM A BIT DOPEY THOUGH YOU KNOW?
I HAVE A GUY I WORK WITH WHO USED TO BREED THEM BACK IN THE DAY AND HE SAID THEY'RE HYSTERICAL.....WHEN THEY RUN FULL SPEED AND TRY TO STOP, HE SAID IT'S LIKE A BULL IN A CHINA SHOP!! LOL LOL LOL SORT OF CLUMSY IN A WAY, THATS FUNNY.
MY WIFE'S VERY PETITE, JUST TO SEE HER WALKING A DOG LIKE THAT WOULD BE WORTH IT! LOL.... OR THE DOG WALKING HER CAUSE SHE SO SMALL! :lol: :P
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE ANYMORE INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL ie. EATING HABITS, MEDICAL FAULTS TO WATCH OUT FOR, DISPOSITON, OVERALL SYNOPSIS.. MUCH THANKS :D

Guest Anonymous

Cepter, that's funny about the clumsiness, because if you read about the breed they are suppose to not be clumsy and do very well in a house or apartment. I had a friend that had one in an apt and said he did very well. They are known to like to lay around a lot. Some of the dane owners I know get a couch just for them.

I have a Dane mix. He is a brindle and is 13 weeks old. He is also about 35 lbs. He is mixed with rottweiller. He's been harder to train than most dogs I've owned... but he is a mix so who knows. I don't see any of the rottie in him yet.

Guest Anonymous

A Rotty mixed with a Dane?! :o That's got to be some sight! I always thought they had to have a big house and a big yard? It's good if the dog can handle an apt. Are they so big that they really don't want to run around that much? There big frame must pump a lot of blood so I would guess that they lounge a lot like you said.
WHY I LOVE THEM:

My friend and I back in High School pulled up to his girlfriends house to find this MAMMOTH brown Dane in the screen doorway! I swear I thought it was a small horse it was was AWESOME. I'm pretty good with dogs even back then and I felt intimidated by this mass at the front door!! We didn't leave the car to go up there until his girlfriend came and grabbed the dog! :lol:
The funniest thing was the dog was the sweetest big baby you've ever saw. Thats when I said one day......one day I would love to own one.

Guest Anonymous

I agree they are big babies... at least the ones I have known. My dog looks mostly like a Dane I can't tell it is part rottie at all. I should have a picture up soon.

Guest Anonymous

I met a pup a few months back that looked me in the eye as I stood next to it... and I am 5'6"! And then she proceeded to climb into the lap of her owner sitting on a nearby bench, basically she just sat on the owner... :o She was a real sweetheart, and a real couch potato, according to her owner! 8)

Danes are big couch poatatoes! They think they are lap dogs and most like to lean! Mine had the habit of sitting on the couch and having their front feet on the floor and watching TV like that! It's so cute.
Danes ususally do very well in apt, any size house, town or country. They require moderate exercise. Too much is not good for them because of their big frame.
The biggest problems you have to watch out for are HD and bloat. No exercise after eating or drinking. In my lines I also had a problem with bladder infections in young bitches, never after 2 years old. They are not a big deal and easily cured.
Temperment in my lines was very laid back, mellow, good with kids, very outgoing. Danes are not the smartest dogs, but are trainable. I did obedience with mine.
I have a friend that has a Dane/rottie mix. She is tall like a dane with the rottie head and frame. She has the best temperment. Of coarse when I show up in my truck the dog greets me with her head at my belly level and I have a big truck!
BTW, my daughter used to walk my dane when she was 2 years old in the yard. She also did obedience with her when she was able to say the words clear enough so pepper could understand her. Plus, a friend of mine had her girl in 4H with a dane who was the same size as she was. The dog would sit next to her and their heads were level! She was the littlest girl with the biggest dog!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GSDmom']Danes are big couch poatatoes! They think they are lap dogs and most like to lean! Mine had the habit of sitting on the couch and having their front feet on the floor and watching TV like that! It's so cute.
Danes ususally do very well in apt, any size house, town or country. They require moderate exercise. Too much is not good for them because of their big frame.
The biggest problems you have to watch out for are HD and bloat. No exercise after eating or drinking. In my lines I also had a problem with bladder infections in young bitches, never after 2 years old. They are not a big deal and easily cured.
Temperment in my lines was very laid back, mellow, good with kids, very outgoing. Danes are not the smartest dogs, but are trainable. I did obedience with mine.
I have a friend that has a Dane/rottie mix. She is tall like a dane with the rottie head and frame. She has the best temperment. Of coarse when I show up in my truck the dog greets me with her head at my belly level and I have a big truck!
BTW, my daughter used to walk my dane when she was 2 years old in the yard. She also did obedience with her when she was able to say the words clear enough so pepper could understand her. Plus, a friend of mine had her girl in 4H with a dane who was the same size as she was. The dog would sit next to her and their heads were level! She was the littlest girl with the biggest dog![/quote]

Actually a well made dane is quite athletic - and many are quite bright.
I did dane rescue for years and the difference between what the average person thinks a dane is and what they really are is pretty wide!

Guest i agree a well made dane should be athletic.
After all they were origianlly bred to hunt wild boar.
they would chase the boar, grab it and hold it down.
It is a pity that an awful lot of danes these days have no stamina, no muscle, and no free running exercise.
As to rescues, danes are always a breed that seem to have alot of rescues,
the reason (my thoughts here)
a lot of people go for a dane because they want a big dog.
want people to stop and think they are macho.
Danes are really quite a senstive breed, they have many problems,
they are numerically quite strong and they have alot of backyard breeders. millers and farmers involved in them.
But all the same
there is nothing like a dane.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='GSDmom']Danes are big couch poatatoes! They think they are lap dogs and most like to lean! Mine had the habit of sitting on the couch and having their front feet on the floor and watching TV like that! It's so cute.
BTW, my daughter used to walk my dane when she was 2 years old in the yard. She also did obedience with her when she was able to say the words clear enough so pepper could understand her. Plus, a friend of mine had her girl in 4H with a dane who was the same size as she was. The dog would sit next to her and their heads were level! She was the littlest girl with the biggest dog![/quote]

Actually a well made dane is quite athletic - and many are quite bright.
I did dane rescue for years and the difference between what the average person thinks a dane is and what they really are is pretty wide![/quote]

Since I guess I'm one of those average people... I got most of my information from reading about the breed (on this site too) and talking to owners. I definately think they should have exercise. most of what I've read say they are pretty much house dogs, which i don't think it means that they don't need exercise. Mine loves to run when I take him to play fetch everyday.

Guest Anonymous

How much running is too much? 1 hour?? Oh no... raising a dog is sooo difficult. I'm not sure if I can ever raise a child :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest Anonymous

You say great danes aren't that smart, but I have one that's only 11 months old and knows every trick in the book. :D :wink: :angel: :x

[color=indigo][/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

:x Being a great dane owner myself I suggest maybe you change your message about great danes being dumb as a box of rocks if you expect to get any good replies from great dane owners. I am sorry to have to be the one to inform you that people tend to love their dogs and dont appreciate people referring to them as dumb!!! My great dane happens to be the smartest and best dog i have ever owned and i would rather spend eight years with her than 15 with any other dog! I think maybe you should do some research before writing things like that because it only makes you sound like the dumb one!

Kendra,

I am sure Mei-Mei meant no harm! :D She didn't really mean Great Danes as much as her own dog. She was just kidding around about her own dog, not the breed! I urge you to re-read the post. She would never ever mean harm to you or to anyone else! She loves Danes and her dog! :wink:

Welcome to the board! :D I am sure you will love it here, why don't you post a "New Here" post so that we can all say "hi"? :)

Rowie :angel: