Dogomania

how much should a puppy eat?

Guest Anonymous

I have run a small breed rescue for 25 years and can vouch for the amount of time and effort that goes in to collecting ,rehabilitating and rehoming these unfortunate dogs,
I have a team which covers the UK and they are just great, nothing is to much trouble for them.We deal with unsavoury owners/breeder and liase with the general all breed rescues. (It is all good PR if you can call or be called on to help each other out.)
There is the feel good factor when you see a nervous unhappy little dog change in to the most loving family pet you can possibly imagine.
The other side of the coin is the heartbreak when depite all our efforts we cannot help the seriously ill or the dogs with unsound tempraments and we have to have them put to sleep.
We know there are those out there who think the answer to unwanted dogs is euthanasia but when you have seen the positive results of rehoming a dog into a loving hame like me and my team you will know it is worth all the tears & tribulations.
I would just like to say that although some people breed more than others this does not make all of them puppy farmers (Mills) or bad folks. If they check the homes and prospective owners properly and keep contact with the owners & give help & advice when needed what more can you ask.
There are those who breed and sell dogs jndicriminately and in all factions of the dog world without considering the outcome for the dogs
Think before you breed.
Ickle

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']
OH NO now I am wrong again! I am sure he is too used to his bowl being high to put it straight back on the floor I will reverse my heighering for lowering starting this week !
[/quote]
I swear they change the rules on this at least annually ;-)
Did you find the bloat pages online? here is one reference to the study results [url]http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/caninehealt.htm[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo'][quote name='abusser']Roo and Guest...
I'm trying not to be a stupid owner... but it seems so hard and complicated. I'm feeding large breed puppy food (science diet) and cooked chicken and sometimes fish (canned mackerel or sardines). What should I be feeding this large breed puppy and in what amounts.

I've had some people tell me not to feed large breed puppy and some people say that is what it is for so that is what I should be feeding him.

I am going to take some pictures soon so you guys can analyze him as best you can. He is about 14 weeks and at least 35 lbs. I haven't weighed him in about 3 weeks... but will this week. I'm really worried.

I took him to the park this weekend for a few hours. We walked around for a few hours... not running and sometimes standing. He was so exhausted that night through the next day.[/quote]

Abbusser,
I do not think you are a stupid owner at all, you care, when unsure you ask questions, there is nothing wrong or stupid about that.
I know it can be very very confusing especially when you get differeing opinions.
I was told years and years ago take in all opinions and throw away the ones that sound odd.
If your pup is growing OK on the food you are feeding him on, keep feeding it, but i would soon think about changing it to junior and when you do, add the junior in with the puppy food gradually.
The only thing i will say is try to cut down on the length of exercise pup is getting at the moment, he is still only a baby.
Roo :lol:[/quote]

Is junior food just food that is inbetween puppy and senior... I've just seen puppy, adult and senior... maybe i'm missing something.

When should I change to junior? 5 months, 8 months or ???

He lost a good amount of his baby teeth and the adult teeth are growing in a lot quicker than I thought they would...

I need to find out more info about bloat too. He has hiccups alot... not sure if that is a sign of anything.