Mean Dogs: Born or Bred?
Premiere, Saturday, August 3rd, 11 p.m. ET
The bloody, brutal world of dog-fighting. It's alive and well all
over this country. And there are breeders who stop at nothing to produce the
most viscious dogs around. Wonder why so many people are getting attacked
these days? Look no further than the dog-fighting ring and the puppy mills
that are thriving underground.

Guest Anonymous

I saw most of it, it was mainly about fighting pits but they also referred to rotti's, shepards, and huskys with a mention of the Diane Wimple case. The experts they had on all agreed that if a specific breed was banned that the next breed in line would take its place and that all 'gameness' could be either breed in or out of any dog species, be it a pit or a yorkie. They also said that an unneuterd male was 2.5 times more likely to bite and a chained dog was 3.5 times. For shock value they had a horrific before and after story about this beautiful little girl who had gotten mauled by a neighbors pit that had gotten out with images I wont soon forget. They wrapped it up with a bit on legislation and penalties for dog owners of which all of us as dog owners could at one time or another become affected.

I thought the show was pretty bad :( They perpetuated a lot of myths, and the MHS people didn't seem to know much about pits. They couldn't even get their name right :x They called them staffordshire pit bull terriers. Not even five minutes into the show, one of the shelter workers (supposedly an expert :roll: ) said that pit bulls have 1000 lbs "clamping power". Clamping power??? :o Then he was demonstrating the red dog in the kennel's vicious nature... by playing tug with him? I know a lot of dogs (pit bulls and other breeds) that like to play tug, does that mean they're dangerous? The shelter worker continued on to say that that particular dog was "game" (just because he played tug?), and that he could be bred with another game female and the pups would bring thousands of dollars. Soon after they showed the collar, chewed through, as if to prove how vicious and powerful he was. Then, they showed the dead dog being carried out of the euth room, and said that he had to be PTS because he was so aggressive (collar aggression :o very bad :lol: ), he was a danger to the shelter workers. Next, they talked to a dog fighter who was in jail after one of his "beloved companions" bit his stepson. He kept going on and on about how fighting is a sport, and that more people need to realize that. Then they showed a bunch of short video clips of fights and pit yards, with some commentary, etc. After that, they centered on attacks. One person said that dog attacks keep rising in numbers, and that it's due to the amount of "trained killers" that roam the streets looking for vulnerable people and pets to attack. Another said that pit are unpredictable, "they'll wag their tails and do a little happy dance, then bite you". Yet another said that pits can be good pets for a year or two, then one day just jump the fence and attack a family's pet, or worse, a child. They didn't seem to understand that dog aggression and human aggression are different. When they described the attack on the dogfighter's stepson, they said he got between them when they were fighting, and was bitten. The dog that bit him was in horrible shape. He didn't look like he could even see, his face was so swollen. They spent a lot of time on the story of the little girl who got attacked in Baltimore. They showed her injuries, before and after, and showed her mother campaigning to get pits banned. But did they mention that the dog escaped through a hole in the fence that the owners had been told by AC to repair? No... they were happy to let all the blame fall onto the dog. The story about the woman in California who was killed by the two Presas barely got any attention. They didn't even identify the breed. They just said, "two big dogs" :-? . Towards the very end, they did have a few people say it's the owners' fault, not the dogs', but that little bit of good wasn't anywhere near enough to cover up the bad. One good thing did come out of the show though, I always thought my dog was snoring at night, but now I know it's really her clamp (err.... jaws?) squeaking. I think it needs oiling. Any suggestions? :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']Sounds like all it said was what common sence would say to anyone that used it!
Gizmo, just wanna ask you, how do you get that banner signature thingie? I want my baby Lily at the bottom of all my posts but don't know how to get it![/quote]

Hey send me a pic and what you want on it and ill make you one! or you can read banner toutorial. Send me a pm if u want me to make you one

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

:evil: i have 4 pits(staffs) and i dont fight them,they make great pets,and good company! people need to get it right.these dogs act how you make them act.

Guest Anonymous

OK...[color=yellow][size=6]PLEASE SPELL THIS OUT FOR ME[/size][/color]. :oops: Sash tried one night but I'm still confused on the difference in APBT, Staffies, AmStaffs........

I know size is a difference.....but anything else????

Guest Anonymous

The difference btwn pit bulls and Amstaffs is that pit bulls are bred for performance(gameness) and staffs are bred for show. They were originally the same breed until people started breeding them for looks and the Amstaff was born. A pit bull that is not game bred is an Amstaff, even if it is registered as a pit bull. I know some of you won't like this response, but it's the truth. I am not a dogfighter, I am just a fancier of the greatest breed ever created, the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Well my aunties Staffie bitch is VERY DANGEROUS!! If you were one of those door hanging beady things... boy you'd know about it. She'd get ahold of you with her 100IBS OF CLAMPING POWER and swing back and forth with all her PHENOMENAL STRENGTH until you were torn to pieces... well off the door frame anyway.

:lol:

She drives Nana barmy, she'll do that all day if you let her, she's a real hoot...!... did I give anything away...?

[quote name='Johnny']The difference btwn pit bulls and Amstaffs is that pit bulls are bred for performance(gameness) and staffs are bred for show. [/quote]
Some pit bulls are bred for performance, but being bred for performance doesn't necessarily mean they are bred for gameness (at least not gameness in the context it's usually used in when talking about pit bulls). There are a few breeders out there breeding performance bred AmStaffs, too, so that kinda disproves your theory of all AmStaffs being bred for show.
[quote name='Johnny']A pit bull that is not game bred is an Amstaff, even if it is registered as a pit bull.[/quote]
You can't change what something is by just saying it's something different, no matter how much you wish it was true. Actually, you could say that all pit bulls are gamebred, since they all have ancestors that were matched, which would technically make them gamebred. For that matter, by those standards, AmStaffs would be gamebred too, wouldn't they? There are dogs out there that aren't gamebred that are game, just as there are dogs out there that are gamebred that are not game.

All "pit bull type" breeds were created by crossing "bulldogs" (not the English Bulldogs of today, these dogs were massive and much closer to the pit bull (or AB) in appearance than they were to "bulldogs" of today) with terriers. Since then, several breeds have developed, and some the breeds even have different strains or types within them.
Some stayed in England, these dogs were the foundation for Staffordshire Bull Terriers. SBTs are usually 13"-16" tall at the shoulder, and under 40 lbs. It is thought by some that SBTs were bred to be smaller and more compact because after bloodsports were banned in England (much earlier than in the US), some people continued to fight their dogs, and wanted a dog small enough to pick up or hide under their coats should the police show up during a fight.
When people immigrated to the US, some brought along their "bull & terriers", which became the foundation of APBTs and AmStaffs in America. The UKC accepted the American Pit Bull Terrier for registration in the late 1890s, but the AKC refused to recognize the breed because the did not want the word "pit" in it. In the 1930s, the AKC accepted American Pit Bull Terriers into their registration, but not as APBTs. They were registered as Staffordshire Terriers, but later when the English breed, SBTs were also recognized by the AKC, they changed the American "Staffordshire Terriers" to American Staffordshire Terriers. Because all the AmStaffs that were taken into the AKC were originally UKC APBTS (or descendants of them), some dogs are still UKC registered as APBTs, but also registered with AKC as AmStaffs. This is called dual registration, and the dogs are considered purebred "members" of both breeds (Petey, the dog off of the Little Racals TV show, was a dual registered dog). A dog can only be dual registered if both parents are also dual registered (ie: you can't just register an AmStaff as an APBT too, just because you feel like it. and you can't dual register a dog with one AmStaff parent and one APBT parent). APBTs and AmStaffs are similar in structure and appearance, but AmStaffs, because they're predominately a conformation breed are generally more "typey" and have less variation in the breed. APBTs are very diverse, they can be any color, and pretty any size, as for many years they were predominately a "performance" breed, and bred for "function over form". There are two "types" of APBTs today, "performance bred" APBTs, which are used in some sort of work, whether it's weight pulling, catch work, protection sports, or in some cases, dog fighting. Then there are the show pit bulls, which are bred for form (sometimes over function), and most aren't deeply involved in any work. There are also dogs that are show dogs, but also compete in performance events. Then there are the majority of dogs, which aren't either of the "types", but fall somewhere in the middle. They make up most of the dogs owned today, as good show or working dogs are expensive, and most people can't handle the drive of a working dog. Most performance APBTs are under 55 lbs (fit), and a lot of pets can range up to 80lbs. Red noses are permitted in APBTs, but are a fault in AmStaffs and SBTs. Dog aggression can occur in any of the breeds, but I think it's less common in SBTs. The standard height/weight for AmStaffs is 17"-19" tall and 20-65 lbs, the standard height/weight for APBTs is 17"-21" tall and 20-65 lbs, but it's not uncommon for slightly larger dog to occur in both breeds (dogs up to 75 lbs are fairly common), and is not a penalty as long as they are proportionate.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

My two pits are the happiest, most loving, energetic, athletic, clownish dogs I've had the pleasure to own. I'd trust both of them implicitly when it comes to loving and not harming people. My 2 cats have the best bodyguards in the neighbourhood in my 2 pitties. God help any dog that managed to chase my cats into the backyard! :( Although I am a staunch supporter and champion for the pit bull's love of humanity I can also recognise that they do like a good fight and that strange dogs can sometimes push their luck too far.
I have been bitten by dogs twice in my life, once by an Australian Cattle Dog and once by a Scottish Terrier. In spite of this fact my local government has deemed it wise to make laws that pit bulls, and a number of other breeds, must wear muzzles at all times in public and a lurid collar signifying that they are a menace to society. Failure to cooperate can result in a hefty fine. Not only that but I am required by law to put up a warning sign at every entrance to my property stating that I have 2 dogs in my place that will rip your throats out the moment they get your scent. :o

I once owned an english bull terrier X yellow labrador, one day at the beach she got into a nasty scrap after a border collie male decided to try to take her ball. My dog worked him over pretty good, an amazing amount of damage in a very short time. Anyway, the border collie took off with owner in hot pursuit and I went home with my very waggy tailed dog. The next day the incident was on the front page of the local newspaper, the headline was PITBULL MAULS PET AT BEACH
I felt like calling the editor and telling him that his crappy journalist should get her facts right and that the dog was indeed a mongrel and had not one drop of pitbull in it. My other dog at the time, a pure pit, was with us that day and he didn't get involved at all.
I have owned pitbulls all my life and I have never met a nasty one, they are sweet natured clowns. 8) [/img][/list]