Dogomania

Agility Training

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone out there with agility experience have any tricks for teaching my Akita how to jump up into my truck? Hes gotten used to me lifting him in since he was 15 lbs but at 7 months 85 pounds [and growing :o ] the novelty has worn off. I open the door and he just sits there looking at me like Im some kind of moron that has obviously forgotten my responsibilities. Ive tried useing food for which he will make a half hearted attempt at crawling in but its not very dignified :wink: Any ideas would be appreciated cause my back is killing me :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Try getting his favorite toy. Play fetch with him all over the yard, working towards the truck, then throw the toy in! Might work and it might not! Also I would look into getting a vet check to see if it's not something medical.
We had a mini duchound (jeez how do you spell that...) and she was always lifted to the couch until one day we came home and saw her on the back of the couch through the window... she was off when we came in, but the gig was up, as they say :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Does your dog jump for other reasons? Run around like a puppy normally does? Just want to be sure there is no medical reason i.e. sore hips or whatnot that is stopping your dog from wanting to jump. Also make sure the entrance is not too high for your pup. Be careful with pup jumping out, don't want too much impact stress on young shoulders.
Some things to try, if you are not already using food treats I would try tossing something delectable into the truck and encourage your dog to get it. You might even start with baby steps, dog on leash, place food at entrance, let dog get it and praise with enthusiasm. Put food a little further inside, encourage dog to 'get it'. Keep moving it in, as dog continues to get the food, keep up the praise. Once dog is starting to show the initiative to jump up or in, put a 'name' to this, pop up or get in or hup or whatever.
Another thing to try is to have someone hold the dog while you climb in. Get far enough in the leave room for the dog to jump in. If your dog does not try to jump in right away, start patting the seat and with a happy happy tone call the dog to you. It might even be better if for a second or two the person holding the dog does not allow the dog to come to you, just holding him back a bit. If your dog REALLY REALLY wants to get to you, this will increase their desire, building drive. When your dog does jump in, praise like he just cured cancer.
You can also modify this so that you are on one side of the vehicle, dog is being held on the other side. Dog can see you through the open doors. Encourage your dog to jump up and come to you. Praise praise!
Get out and do it again. Even again. Once the dog gets the idea, there may be no stopping him!
Please write again and let us know if you have found a solution and what worked for you and your pup.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hamrhedd']Anyone out there with agility experience have any tricks for teaching my Akita how to jump up into my truck? Hes gotten used to me lifting him in since he was 15 lbs but at 7 months 85 pounds [and growing :o ] the novelty has worn off. I open the door and he just sits there looking at me like Im some kind of moron that has obviously forgotten my responsibilities. Ive tried useing food for which he will make a half hearted attempt at crawling in but its not very dignified :wink: Any ideas would be appreciated cause my back is killing me :lol:[/quote]

If he has a health issue that keeps him from jumping (and this breed most certainly can have bad hips or knees) see if he will put his feet up on the truck for you and then just boost him.
I would try teaching him a command to get up on something low first then move up to a little higher item and so on until he realizes yes he can jump up into the truck :-) He's a baby start him with 'baby steps' :-) a junk coffe table from a yard sale, or a home made 'table' from some plywood and cement blocks might be a good starting point for him. My dog's know 'table' as a generic command meaning get all four feet up on that please. I don't care if its the couch, the car, a bi rock, a tree stump, or a grooming table they all know what table means.

Guest Anonymous

I know this is kind of a long way around, but you could train him to jump over jumps(like the normal Agility jumps), and when he gets those down, you can take him to the back of your truck and say "hup"(or whatever you use.... Lol. :)), and he should jump right in! Once I got my Ori-pei to jumping normal jumps, I could point at something and tell him "hup", and he'd go for it! It may take a while, though, and I wouldn't jump him to high since he's a pup. I don't think jumping into the truck should be to much, but I wouldn't jump him over normal jumps that were that high because of the impact. It could cause bone problems, etc. :D Not to discourage you, though! :wink: Let us know if any of these suggestions work! Hope they help!