Dogomania

Heart Worm Preventative

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I'm new to this site, please be gentle, I'm on the edge.

I have found some good information thru links, and several letters from people who have lost their precious dogs shortly after receiving a ProHeart 6 injection at this site: [url]www.Proheartinformation.com[/url]

On May 23, 2003 one of our honeys, Newport, had to be put to sleep. Newp was only 8 yrs old, a playful English Springer Spaniel, who became sick one month after his 2nd ProHeart 6 injection, diagnosed with cancer. 2 days ago was the first time I'd heard anything about the problems with ProHeart 6, needless to say we're still in shock.

We have two other ESS who have had the ProHeart 6 injections, and we are in a panic. We understand that there is no way to flush this junk from their systems, all that we can do is learn as much as possible.
If anyone finds any information, please pass it on to us.

Thanks.
:onfire:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

There is a wonderful website that is new, called [url]http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/[/url] It has much information about the side effects and reactions of many of the drugs that are given to our dogs...My interest in it at this time is really for the 6 month injection for Heartworm. IT has pretty much scared me. The clinical name is [b]MOXEDECTIN [/b] and that is what you have to click on to get to the Heartworm section on this website. I hope if anyone has any problems after any drug,,that they will go to this site and tell their story.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi! I took my dog to the vet over the weekend for heartworm preventative and he was given the proheart 6 injection. They didn't give me any information on the drug and didn't offer any alternatives. Now this morning I received an e-mail from an online dog lover's group that this shot can be dangerous. Are any of your dogs on this shot? Are there any specific symptoms I should look for? Odie is a 3 year old pit/lab mix and is in good health but this injection really scares me. Any advice????
Thanks,
Foxie

Guest Anonymous

Foxie,,,,the first two common side effects to the 6 month shot is vomiting and diarrhea, If you go to the website [url]http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/,,,,,go[/url] down to where it says MOXEDECTIN, (clinical name for ProHeart 6) and it has everything you need to know about the shot and its reactions. It also has many stories written by owners of dogs that have died or gotten very ill from this shot in their opinion.

Guest Anonymous

I have just read that there are reports of some vets that are giving this 6 month shot without warning the dogs quardians/owners, or giving a choice of pill or shot. That is very disturbing because I feel that a lot of people would stay with the "tried and true" heartworm preventative if given a choice. Actually, I KNOW that a lot of people HAVE choosen the pill because its been "tried and true" and because they feel the shot has NOT been out long enough to be proven safe for their dog.

Guest Anonymous

I just lost my oldest baby Cutter. Her systems are exactly as described from Proheart. There is quite a bit of info out there. Another site is [url]http://concernedvet.netfirms.com[/url]

Cutter's reaction was about 3 months after her shot. She began acting like she had a cold and went completely down in about 3 week and we had to put her down after the autoimmune amenia began and she had complete kidney failure.

I'm telling everyone I know with any dog not to get the proheart.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I am so upset with my vet. Saturday my dogs had their annual exam, vaccinations, etc., and my vet suggested starting them on pro-heart 6. I asked if it was as effective as Heartguard (which they have been on for 2 years with no problems), and he said yes. I asked if there were any negative side effects, and he said no, he hadn't had any except local swelling and itching. So they got the shots.

So tonight the local news had a story on dogs dying from proheart, and I now have learned that the death rate from proheart is more than 20 times that of heartguard, and my heart is broken from reading stories here from those who have lost their beloved pets for no good reason. My dogs seem fine, 5 days later, but I will leave in fear for the next 6 months. Does anyone know what I should watch for, and if there is a certain time after which they should be ok? Also, do I need to do anything special with them until this drug is out of their system (in terms of feeding, drugs to avoid, activity level, etc).

I am calling my vet tomorrow to complain, and I will ask him these questions, but I no longer consider him reliable. I wish so deeply that I'd done this research before letting him give my babies that shot. Like most prople, I trusted him. I will be finding a new vet!

trhgr2004, hopefully the following site will be of help for you:

[url]http://dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/moxidectinpage.html[/url]

it's all about PH6 and also has a number of links for further reading.

let's hope your baby pulls through.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

To all of you who have had a dog affected by this shot or have died from it, my deepest condolences. Two years ago I got one and only one shot of ProHeart 6 for my three dogs. Within two months, my first dog collapsed. A week later, she was dead.

Within two months of the first death, my second dog was dead. My third dog survived, but his immune system was affected. So I know how absolutely devastating it is to have your beloved dog be affected by this shot, and that's why I and my partner created the web site The Pet Guardian, [url]www.thepetguardian.com[/url]. I encourage you to visit the site and become informed about ProHeart 6 and other health-related issues regarding your pets.

In conjunction with a nationally recognized organization, we have been helping spread the word through the media about the possible/sometimes fatal effects of ProHeart 6. In order for your stories to be heard, you must fill out a Complaint Form on our site. But at the very least, please fill out an Adverse Effects Report with the FDA. Instructions on how to do this are under the ProHeart 6 section of The Pet Guardian.

Thanks for visiting us.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I was both distraught and relieved to see a news item last night about the heartworm prevention shot being responsible for dog deaths. We had a rescued coonhound mix named Hoover for about 4 years, and he was a pretty healthy dog, although he took phenobarbitol daily for seizures ever since we got him. Our vet would monitor his kidney function and whatever else they check when a dog is on drugs We always feed super premium dog food, spare no expense when it comes to our dogs' care. We moved to a rural area and switched to a closer vet. On our first visit, he suggested the 6 month shot instead of monthly tablets. Said it was just as safe, less hassle. We agreed to it, and Hoover died exactly two weeks later, of supposed liver failure. He was a little lethargic after the shot, but after about 10 days, it was clear that something was wrong. He was just lying around and I observed him vomiting. We made an appointment immediately with our "new" vet, loaded him up, and by the time we got to the vet, he had to be lifted from the vehicle, and refused to stand. X-rays showed an enormous mass that appeared to be attached to his liver, and he was bleeding internally. They referred us to a hospital about 20 miles away for an ultrasound, and by the time we got there, he had to be carried in. While they were prepping him, he arrested. That was over a year ago, and I'm crying as I type this. At the time, we quizzed our vet about the connection between the shot and his death, and they said they had never heard of any problem or deaths due to the shot. We never had a good feeling about that vet after that, and switched back to our old vet despite the drive. After seeing the news story, I am convinced that the shot was responsible for Hoover's demise. Fortunately, our other two dogs seemed to have no reaction, and one of them had been heartworm positive when we rescued him, so I would have expected that he might be the more fragile one. I went to the manufacturers site for Proheart6 and will be filing a complaint with them. I doubt it will do much of anything, probably not even make me feel better. Makes you feel guilty when your actions are responsible for your sweet and trusting pet's death, regardless of your intentions.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, I am SO SORRY to hear about your dog. It is very sad. You're right, you do what you can to keep them happy and healthy, and look what happens. This is why so many of us feel guilty for agreeing to get the shot for our dogs. But we don't know, and we expect the vets to be "experts," when many of them just apparently have no clue either, or are in denial.

I'm glad you got to see the broadcast last night. I am one of the people shown, and two of my dogs died from this shot. The second died from hemangiosarcoma, with the cancer found in his liver and apparently nowhere else. I have learned of many dogs over the past almost two years whose dogs died from liver problems. A certain vet with Fort Dodge admitted to a guardian that "ProHeart 6 affects the liver."

Please contact me at [email][email protected][/email]. I want to find out where you're located and see about having you file a complaint with the organization that's helping us get media coverage regarding ProHeart 6. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

We believe Denver will do a follow-up story. I was told that they've received nothing but positive feedback. They also ran the broadcast the next night. I will post again when that story comes out. There's an interesting twist on a complaint we just received that people are going to want to see.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='K']:o there has been a class 2 recall...thats an admission that the drug is dangerous..or not?[/quote]

sadly, no - it's just an admission that there are some "bad" batches in circulation. i hope this poison gets taken off the market once and for all soon. :(

apparently in australia they are pushing the one-year version already. :(