Dogomania

The Ori-pei

Guest Anonymous

Do you think Aaron Silver's reason for making the Ori-pei is reasonable/good?  

1. 1. Do you think Aaron Silver's reason for making the Ori-pei is reasonable/good?

Guest Anonymous

Well, I know I'm gonna get slammed for this...
WAIT!!! Before you slam me, please read the WHOLE message. Thanks

Does anyone have one?? Lol, just curious... :)

Okay, please realize that this breed was not made for "millers to make money off of". Aaron Silver was the breed's "maker", and he had a purpose. First, the Ori-pei is a cross of the Pug and Shar-pei. As most of you know, Pugs have the big "bug eyes", and Shar-peis are very prone to intropia(where the eyelid "rolls"), and they also have many skin problems. Well, Mr. Silver wanted to "equalize" the problems. He wanted a small Shar-pei-like dog. Breeding in the Pug would lessen the eye problems and skin problems of the Shar-pei. Thus, bettering the breed. The Ori-pei IS an official breed in FIC, and people are still working on perfecting the breed. It is still not entirely predictible. If you were to look at the pics of the Ori-peis, you would notice that they vary greatly. This is changing, though, as the breed is perfected, and as soon as the Ori-peis are what Silver wanted, and are producing that type consistantly, they're going to try for AKC recognition. Any opinions welcomed, although I would appriciate no slammin...

I was just curious as to how many people think his reason for making the Ori-pei was a good one...

Guest Anonymous

No, I don't. To eliminate the problems (eyes) knowledgable breeders work on this within the specific breeds. It takes years of scientific knowledge and generations of pups to develop a "new breed". With the skin problems the Shar Pei's have because of the wrinkling and the wrinkling that the pugs have, I would certainly think this would be compounding one medical problem. Plus the fact that I believe people who cross breed pedigreed dogs have no other intention other than to boost their egos, thinking they've become the newest Albert Einstein. This is not to slam you, it's just my personal opinion.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DobieGal']Well, I know I'm gonna get slammed for this...
WAIT!!! Before you slam me, please read the WHOLE message. Thanks

snip mill myths
The Ori-pei IS an official breed in FIC,
snip more typical mill myths[/quote]
FIC is not an official breed club so what difference does it make what it lists? - they list poo 'breeds' too. Thats like saying APR registers a breed so what its a mill registry for mills to pretend to have papers on their dogs ditto FIC - now FCI is a real registry (note how FIC is trying to play off that name with theirs to make it seem legit)

The breed was developed to make cash. This mix has worse problems than either parent breed in terms of health. The only 'perfection' anyone is trying to do with this mix is to make the perfect amounts of cash from the puppies they produce as fast as possible.
I know you have one, I know you desperately want to cling to your illusions, and that its easy to do that in the locale you are in, but if you want to be a responsible dog person you need to be able to see the truth behind the advertising for what it is.
Oripei are just one of several marketing schemes involving a lot of hype and some deleterious crossbreeding for the purpose of making money.
Ditto such schemes as the "Charlie Bear" the "Poo" mixbreeds the "Munchkin" dog and on and on as long as the gullible will pay high for them the misbreeders will produce them along with some nice stories for the marketing of the 'product'.

Guest Anonymous

Now, do you own an Ori-pei??? Have you ever met someone that did have an Ori-pei? If you haven't thenn you can't possibly know the health problems. My Ori-pei is healthy as can be, no eye or skin problems with a Happy-go-lucky personality. And I don't know what the frigging high price is that you're talking about, but I got mine for $150. How much are the ones you've seen(If you've seen any)? And yes, I'm sure there are Puppy Millers that breed them. That's with EVERY breed. This breed actually isn't that new. It's been around for quite a few years. AT LEAST 7 years, maybe more. So it was before all the "poo" breeds or whatever. And I said that FIC was a start for registry. There can no longer be any crossings between Pugs and Shar-peis. Only Ori-pei to Ori-pei. Don't just assume every breed is made to make money. Why is AKC such a great registry anyway? Have you noticed, too, that ever since they said they didn't need breeders to register their pups with them to make money, they had to raise the registration prices? Seems kind of funny...But anyhow,if you can answer those questions, maybe we can have a descussion.
BTW, what is FIC, then?

Guest Anonymous

Wait a minute, you were the one who made the first post and asked people to read through and not just slam you. No one did slam you but gave you their opinions for which you asked. Now, with this post you've gotten all bent out of shape.

You say this so-called breed has been around at least 7 yrs., that's hardly generations is it? It's a gimic. You're in one of the puppymill capitals; you'll do well financially for a while.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DobieGal']Now, do you own an Ori-pei??? Have you ever met someone that did have an Ori-pei? If you haven't thenn you can't possibly know the health problems. My Ori-pei is healthy as can be, no eye or skin problems with a Happy-go-lucky personality. And I don't know what the frigging high price is that you're talking about, but I got mine for $150. How much are the ones you've seen(If you've seen any)? And yes, I'm sure there are Puppy Millers that breed them. That's with EVERY breed. This breed actually isn't that new. It's been around for quite a few years. AT LEAST 7 years, maybe more. So it was before all the "poo" breeds or whatever. And I said that FIC was a start for registry. There can no longer be any crossings between Pugs and Shar-peis. Only Ori-pei to Ori-pei. Don't just assume every breed is made to make money. Why is AKC such a great registry anyway? Have you noticed, too, that ever since they said they didn't need breeders to register their pups with them to make money, they had to raise the registration prices? Seems kind of funny...But anyhow,if you can answer those questions, maybe we can have a descussion.
BTW, what is FIC, then?[/quote]

You really don't know much about this mixbreed I see. Poo mixes have been around for ages and ages - the first one I remember hearing about over 30 years ago was the schnoodle (poor mix it was bright and non shedding as the parent breeds but it also had serious eye, skin and hip problems inherent in the mix) .
I know lots of people with nice quality pugs and nice quality sharpei so I hear a fair amount about the problems in each breed and you know the breeders in both breeds thing the ori pei is a travesty made by get rich quick breeders for no legitimate reasons at all. I also know the prices the pet stores and most of the breeders charge for this mix. The fact that you got what you were told is one of these mixes cheap is partly an indication of the part of the country you are in and partly and indication of how quickly you should have it spayed or neutered as the mixbred it is.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DobieGal']snip as previously answered Don't just assume every breed is made to make money. Why is AKC such a great registry anyway? Have you noticed, too, that ever since they said they didn't need breeders to register their pups with them to make money, they had to raise the registration prices? Seems kind of funny...But anyhow,if you can answer those questions, maybe we can have a descussion.
BTW, what is FIC, then?[/quote]
In your part of the country (and many others) the only reason for breeding dogs is to make money for the vast majority of the breeders located there.
If you don't know why AKC is a better registry than the one you cited (which is a scam registry well known by real breeders as such) then you need to learn for yourself why it is. Registration is CHEAP, even at the prices they charge now they are computerized and updated in their operating systems (computers and the techincal people to make them run well are not cheap you know). I am actually astounded at how little the prices have gone up at AKC in comparison to other things in the last 30 years. The fact you are quibbling over pennies in costs makes me thing profits is what your idea is in dogs. It also makes me aware of just how awful the situation is in your state the reputed puppy mill capital of the world when it comes to dog breeding.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'd like to respond to the original question, if you don't mind.
I think that there are so many homeless dogs in this world, that making a new breed doesn't sound so great to me.
If it eliminates ALL health problems from both breeds, very good.
But, I'm not sure that is possible.

My Ruby was found by Atlanta Pet Rescue in the pound. They normally only rescue small breeds, but she has such a great disposition, that they decided to take a chance on finding her a good home. I initially went to look at another dog named Wendy, but she wasn't a good fit for my family. Ruby won us over pretty quickly.
These rescue groups are blessed with volunteers who wish they could save more lives. So, they spay/neuter every animal that gets adopted through them. I was fortunate that I was able to speak with her "foster mom" to ask questions & learn things about her before taking her home the next week.
I didn't intend to preach, but I can't imagine loving her any more, even if she was a show dog. She is a good guard dog, wonderful with kids, and a joy to show off at parks, festivals, etc.
Well, I'll get off my bragging box now.
Thanks for listening.

• 2 years later...

I too have an ori pei.. and they are great dogs..and just so you know akc dogs are sold at pet stores too! If people are breeding dogs ..any dogs..they have a right to go to a loving home..and if someone is willing to pay a high pric efor them i feel they will take better care of the dog then someone that just has to pay a shelter fee...lets think of all the pit bulls who get adopted by shelter s only to end up in a dog fighting ring!