Dogomania

Cost of dog.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am currently looking to buy a pup but the prices are extortionate that it is putting me of getting one. The breed I am wanting is a St Bernard but the

Guest Anonymous

Most breeders charge a lot for puppies, not necceserily a thousand dollars, but a good amount. Reputable breeders Will want their dogs to be spayed or neutered, and/or to be shown. The vet bills cost alot also, for checking the bitch and stud, puppies, first shots, etc. Also Food. in my opinion 1600 is a little much though! maybe 200-500$ would be more reasonable

Guest Anonymous

Thank you newfiemom. Some people just can't understand that reputable breeders dogs may cost more (not always the case when petshops sell for exhorbitant prices). The costs do add up when you are breeding to an outstanding champion sire, then each breed has breed specific illnesses for which the sire and damn must be tested, and each of these tests are expensive, not just a vet check. Few reputable breeders see a profit from their breeding programs.

[quote name='Guest - Pat']Thank you newfiemom. Some people just can't understand that reputable breeders dogs may cost more (not always the case when petshops sell for exhorbitant prices). The costs do add up when you are breeding to an outstanding champion sire, then each breed has breed specific illnesses for which the sire and d*** must be tested, and each of these tests are expensive, not just a vet check. Few reputable breeders see a profit from their breeding programs.[/quote]

Thank you guest Pat,
Being a breeder myself, i can honsetly say i have never ever seen a profit, At the end of the day you just get back what you put in.
I must say if i heard of a litter of lets say st bernards being sold cheaply
i would have to keep well away.
I personally would also keep well away from breeding terms, some people
take up breeding terms just to get the pup a bit cheaper.
Roo

I've been looking into the cost of breeding for a while now, and it looks like I'm going to have to save over $50 a fortnigh for over a year before I could even consider breeding, the costs for the breeder can be very expensive. Not only do you have to pay for food, vaccinations, microchipping, worming etc, you need to make allowances for emergancy vet bills that may come up. Good breeders don't breed to make a provit, they breed for their love of dogs AND to improve the breed.
Don't go out and assume that because a dog is expensive it will be of good quality either!!! Alot of irrisponsible breeders will sell thier pups at a very high price hoping that ignorant people will think that just because the dog is expensive it is of good quality! Have a close look at the pedigree and see how good the blood lines are. Ask to see both parents as well as certificates to clear each of them for hereditary diseases. Go to a vet and have the pup checked AS SOON as you get it.
Heres something I found in another forum written by a member about a book about how to breed a dog:

I received an enquiry from a client over the weekend. They were trying, after reading the wonderful Bourkes Backyard The Experts Dog Breeds handbook, I think that is what it would be called anyway They are now prepared and ready to become breeders:
A lesson on how to become a breeder.
1. Buy the book.
2. Go through the breeds and do your research, lol.
3. Pick breeds that are rare.
4. Buy any female dog of that breed.
5. Ask vets if they know of anyone with a male that they can use.
6. If no luck put a WANTED ad in the local paper.
7. Don't screen for heridatory disease, don't research the diseases associated with the breed, after all if you go in blind you can plead ingnorant.
8. Flog your progeny off to any person that wants a puppy.
9. If that fails, take 'em to the pet shop, that way you get rid of the pups that you can't shift.
Sorry, just a bit peeved after the phone call and this person was even contemplating buying the female dogs partner, even thou he has Diabetes, after all it beats having to pay for a stud fee.

You can never be sure sure when buying a dog, pedigree or not. Seeing both parents as well as vet certificates are your best bet, and don't worry too much about cost, an expensive well bred dog is alot cheaper than a cheap dog with hip displaysia!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']I've been looking into the cost of breeding for a while now, and it looks like I'm going to have to save over $50 a fortnigh for over a year before I could even consider breeding, the costs for the breeder can be very expensive. Not only do you have to pay for food, vaccinations, microchipping, worming etc, you need to make allowances for emergancy vet bills that may come up. Good breeders don't breed to make a provit, they breed for their love of dogs AND to improve the breed.
Don't go out and assume that because a dog is expensive it will be of good quality either!!! Alot of irrisponsible breeders will sell thier pups at a very high price hoping that ignorant people will think that just because the dog is expensive it is of good quality! Have a close look at the pedigree and see how good the blood lines are. Ask to see both parents as well as certificates to clear each of them for hereditary diseases. Go to a vet and have the pup checked AS SOON as you get it.
Heres something I found in another forum written by a member about a book about how to breed a dog:

I received an enquiry from a client over the weekend. They were trying, after reading the wonderful Bourkes Backyard The Experts Dog Breeds handbook, I think that is what it would be called anyway They are now prepared and ready to become breeders:
A lesson on how to become a breeder.
1. Buy the book.
2. Go through the breeds and do your research, lol.
3. Pick breeds that are rare.
4. Buy any female dog of that breed.
5. Ask vets if they know of anyone with a male that they can use.
6. If no luck put a WANTED ad in the local paper.
7. Don't screen for heridatory disease, don't research the diseases associated with the breed, after all if you go in blind you can plead ingnorant.
8. Flog your progeny off to any person that wants a puppy.
9. If that fails, take 'em to the pet shop, that way you get rid of the pups that you can't shift.
Sorry, just a bit peeved after the phone call and this person was even contemplating buying the female dogs partner, even thou he has Diabetes, after all it beats having to pay for a stud fee.

You can never be sure sure when buying a dog, pedigree or not. Seeing both parents as well as vet certificates are your best bet, and don't worry too much about cost, an expensive well bred dog is alot cheaper than a cheap dog with hip displaysia!!![/quote]

And wuld you know what you were looking for in this pedigree?
how wuld you know what are good bloodlines?
Why the need to see both parents?
what if it was AI from abroad, wuld you know if the bloodlines were good?
if it is the first one of the breed you have had, how wuld you know what is what?
Did you do all of this when you got your boxer?
and if you did, why do you keep asking novice questions? :x

er well DUH! Obviously you RESEARCH the breed!!! Talk to reputable breeders and find out good kennel names etc. And OBVIOUSLY if the dog has a lot of ch. in its pedigree the ch. would be good dogs. Its not hard to really.
Why don't you just grow up and get a life before you have a go at me, I was only trying to help. Nobody wants to spend thousands on a dog that will be ill its whole life!

Just because a dog or bitch is a champion does not mean it is a good stud dog or brood bitch, over the years many champions have sired or produced puppies with lots of hereditary problems, I have seen pedigrees that look brilliant, only upon researching them did i find that the ages and dates do not match up.
The main problem in the dog game is that not everyone is honest, and alot of breed problems are hidden or brushed under the carpet and then rear their ugly heads again and again.
How many breeders have you heard of that say, i have never heard of that in this line before, oh this is the first case i have bred or seen, or i don't need to test my stock as it has no problems.
I also know of quite a few top breeders, who do not care who uses thier stud dogs, and continue to breed dogs that die very young of breed problems, but they don't care because as long as in 2 or 3 litters they get yet another champion who cares about the rest or the heartbreak that they leave behind.
Roo

AAARGH CDs- My personal nemesis. My boyfriend buys 100s of CDs a month and every time I walk into the house I am sitting on one/ a cover from one/ crushing those daft box sleeves they come in- they're a flippin' waste of money! I would swear he listens to them once and then they're in towers and stacks everywhere in every single room :o

... But at least he's supportive on the getting a dog front, he lived with one when he was younger so really likes them!

Boys and their toys eh? I once read that men never grow up- they just get sorta BIGGER!! You ought to point out to your boyf. that you get out of things what you put in- this could apply to several aspects of the relationship, but critically the dogs- does HE want to clean up the result of poor quality foods!!?

My god Sash that is terrible. I remember hearing somewhere that suicide is hardest for those left behind as all they can do is think- why did I not see it coming.. what should I have done.. The hardest thing is to learn to forgive yourself. You can't take the ultimate responsibility for the other person's final actions. You can only do your best for yourself and hope that they can in turn do the best for themselves.

Guest Anonymous

Guess I am lucky...Woke hubby up at 2:30am to carry Jac out the other morning cause my back couldn't handle it. :wink: Newfiemom my hubby loves my "email" Newfie! :D :D :D

How terrible. It is tragic that people can get to a stage where they don't want to live anymore. But effectively he was trying to keep you a prisoner with his threats, and no one can live like that. Sometimes you just can't help. Even the professionals fail. When I was studying I was told very quietly and seriously that just about every single practising clinical psychologist has lost a patient to suicide. It is something they have to learn to face up to. You did the best you could do at the time. It is so easy to say in hindsight, but I could have done this, or that. But chances are that it wouldn't have made any difference. Don't feel guilty.
Was Sasha shook up?

Hey- I just got home, I was a drowned rat when I got through the door!! It's raining even heavier now!!
You're very welcome Sash. Sorry I wasn't here to say so earlier.
I couldn't live with a guy who stifled me like your guy seems to Newfie..- my boyfriend's the best, he works really hard at his job (promoted a week ago!!), he loves my bunnies, likes dogs and I am working on getting him to like horses too :D . He's TOO generous and he always buys me stuff and takes me out... aww.
There's better guys out there Newfie!! And remember-" You're worth it!"

Double LOL. People show up when you aren't looking for them remember, just concentrate on your dogs and he'll just fall into your lap!
Wonder what your 'current' would think if he knew we'd effectively replaced him already this afternoon! :o

Guest Anonymous

Yes buying a purebred pup is expensive,breeder also has to facter in the cost of emergency C-sections,and cost of breeder staying home from day job four a few days to care for bitch and pups,or hire someone trustworthy to look after them I am a breered of Maltese,Yorkies and Shih-Tzuu's,I love my dogs and have given numourous hours and dollars to raise quality well socialized puppies,If a client asks if I would negociate price,I end up turning them away,I sell my dogs on a pet puppy contract with lots of conditions.

Newfiemom, buy the dog and he'll get rid of himself!!! :lol:
Thats how I got rid of my ex, bought Lily and he was so pissed off (probably because the dog was cuter than him) and left, just like that! :D :D :D
He was a looser though and I'm glad now because after him I completely gave up on guys, I had my dogs anyway I didn't need them!!!
Anyway, I'd completely given up on them after a long run of LOOSERS! :lol: But then I met Mark and havn't looked back :P He's great cause he's not into material possesions, the only thing he's into is me and he loves my dogs!!!
Newfiemom, stick with your dogs and a guy will find you when you least expect it, trust me on this one, I know! :D :D :D