Dogomania

Dobies

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, I was just wondering what your opinions are of the Dobie's history. What breeds they are "made up of". Everywhere I've read the breeds are unsure, and most of the time very different. I was just wanting opinions. :) Thought it might be interesting!

Guest Anonymous

I have read in books before that they are a mixture of Rottweilers, the English Greyhound, and the Manchester Terreir, but who knows!

Guest Anonymous

These are quotes from the book 'Doberman Pinschers' by Faye Strauss:
Records indicate that L. Dobermann used the Germany Pinscher(a breed of good size, very alert and had a very agressive attitude) as his choice to establish his own breed.....Dobermann added the blood of the Rottweiler(for its great courage, massive size, and tracking ability) and the old Germany Sherpherd Dog(a dog differing greatly from the Germany Shephard as we know it today)......It is generally agreed that the Manchester Terrier, then a much larger breed than it is today, was introduced into the gene pool.....It appears that Herr Dobermann sought to combine power with a sleek and agile appearance because yet another cross was made-this time to the Greyhound. This also brought more stamina and speed to the Developing breed....

being a dog book collector
From this is the doberman pinscher
by Louise Ziegler Spirer & Evelyn Miller(1980)
The first dobermann-pinscherklub was founded in Apolda by Otto Goeller in 1899, One year later the breed was officially accepted as a new breed in germany, but at the time black and tan was the only colour allowed.
It says that chief influences in the breed appear to be
German Shepherd (unlike todaysGSD)
Rottweiler
German shorthaired pointer
and a pinch perhaps of
weimaraner.
some dog people claim the manchester black and tan terrier was also an important contributir, and that the word pinscher means terrier in German.
The cologne Dog show in 1910 had 105 dobie entries.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']being a dog book collector
From this is the doberman pinscher
by Louise Ziegler Spirer & Evelyn Miller(1980)
The first dobermann-pinscherklub was founded in Apolda by Otto Goeller in 1899, One year later the breed was officially accepted as a new breed in germany, but at the time black and tan was the only colour allowed.
It says that chief influences in the breed appear to be
German Shepherd (unlike todaysGSD)
Rottweiler
German shorthaired pointer
and a pinch perhaps of
weimaraner.
some dog people claim the manchester black and tan terrier was also an important contributir, and that the word pinscher means terrier in German.
The cologne Dog show in 1910 had 105 dobie entries.[/quote]

Actually "pinscher" means "biter" in German and "terrier" means "earth dog" - interesting how similar breeds are differently designated in different countries as pinscher is often construed to mean terrier :-)
I believe the early documentation on the breed shows the one of the base breeds as being the German Pinscher which was too small for what the originator wanted though it had the looks and the desired sharpness (as it still does today).

Guest Anonymous

It depends on your Dobe's character I think. I don't think compulsion training is a very good technique(in most cases). My Dobe probably wouldn't respond to it very well, though I've never tried. I don't think many dogs owuld respond well to harsh training. They would obey because they are afraid of you instead of obeying because they want to.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the info! I've also heard about the Beauceron being an influence, but nothings for sure... I'm pretty sure the Greyhound was used, because my Dobe looks so much like one! Their faces, I think, are a lot like the Greyhounds... German Pinscher is probably a definite, too. I really think a Wiemer or German Pointer(or some Pointing breed) was used as well, because they have a really cool instinct(or mine has displayed this). He's actually pointed! I think it was a rabbit he was pointing, but... Lol, I've heard of a few people teaching their Dobes to point, and had had great success in hunting... Hmmm...