Dogomania

Boxers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am interested in purchasing a white boxer. After having a fawn colored boxer that died from "Cushins Disease", I am wondering if there are many diseases that boxers are prone to getting? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I am interested in purchasing a white boxer. After having a fawn colored boxer that died from "Cushins Disease", I am wondering if there are many diseases that boxers are prone to getting? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
[email][email protected][/email][/quote]

White Boxers often have some serious health defects including deafness and other issues.
Seek out a responsible breeder testing his or her lines for health as well as breed type before breeding or go to [url]www.petfinder.org[/url] and check with boxer rescues about adopting before going out and purchasing a white pup.
just a few of the resources found when I listed boxer white and health
[url]http://www.kateconnick.com/links_boxer.html[/url]

[url]http://www.boxerunderground.com/category_of_articles.htm[/url]

Boxers have far less genetic defects than most other breeds, your case sounds like a one off and it must have been very distressing for you, I honestly don't know what I'd do if anything happend to my Lily. The only thing you really have to watch with Boxers is heart murmers, which is a simple trip to the vet. Great breed boxers are... the only problem with the white ones is that they are more susseptible to other genetic defects, such as deafness etc. Don't let that put you off though, they are great dogs and need loving homes, many breeders cull them when they are born. I was shocked to hear that one of Lilys littermates was culled, but it all comes down to the decision of the breeder. Check out some Boxer rescues, there are plenty around as boxers can be a very abused breed, especially the white ones.
Good luck, and I know you will find the perfect dog because as we all know, all boxers are perfect! :D

Guest Anonymous

Mei-Mei, I think that it means to kill..or to kill the whites... I think. They also do that to some white dobies and to some white gsd. Its very sad... if thats even what it means.

Guest Anonymous

i think if a dog that isnt normally supposed to be all white is usaully an albino or soemthign
even thou the white ones have more problems and may pass down genetic sicknesses on to their puppies if in the wrong hands so i think thats why some breeders cull them or whatever

Responsible breeding is all about improving the breed. White dobies, boxers and gsd's aren't albino, they are throw backs. The white is in the genes and sometimes the odd pup turns up that is white. Some breeders 'cull' (put to sleep) the white pups, so as not to further spred the gene, as well as avoiding potential health problems later in life. Others make the purchaser sign a contract that the dog must be desexed by a certain age (usually 6 months or before the first heat if it is a bitch), as well as disclaimers for any health problems that may show up later in life. As I said before, it is the breeders choice, personally if Lily had any white pups I couldn't bring myself to cull them, but with larger scale kennels it is inapropriate and unreputable to let these dogs live. White dogs of these particular breeds, and I'm sure others too, can never be bred from or showed, but only be kept as pets. :(

Guest Anonymous

Actually now I think they have found that the white boxer carries no more health problems (aside from possible deafness) than the brindles or other color variations. It was believe that they did have more health problems but found false after research and time. Many 'old time' breeders to cull but most do not use this method anymore but rather spay/neuter and find homes for these pups!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']Boxers have far less genetic defects than most other breeds, your case sounds like a one off and it must have been very distressing for you, I honestly don't know what I'd do if anything happend to my Lily. The only thing you really have to watch with Boxers is heart murmers, which is a simple trip to the vet. Great breed boxers are... the only problem with the white ones is that they are more susseptible to other genetic defects, such as deafness etc. Don't let that put you off though, they are great dogs and need loving homes, many breeders cull them when they are born. I was shocked to hear that one of Lilys littermates was culled, but it all comes down to the decision of the breeder. Check out some Boxer rescues, there are plenty around as boxers can be a very abused breed, especially the white ones.
Good luck, and I know you will find the perfect dog because as we all know, all boxers are perfect! :D[/quote]

Perhaps this is true in Australia but not in the US at all!
Hip Displasia and Cardiomyopathy are among the health issues I know of and I'm not even into this particular breed!
I know of white ones with serious health problems directly related to their being white - some kind of autoimmune disorder that killed the dogs young.
IMO responsible culling whether its spay neuter or the killing of defective pups is a part of the breeder's mandate - there are SO many dogs in the world needing homes that keeping alive pups with defects to sell to someone seems more than a bit unreasonable to me.

Guest Anonymous

I have never in my life seen so much misinformation regarding white boxers, culliing, and genetic defects in my life. Jacsmom gave some very correct information.

White boxers have no more health problems than brindles or fawns with the exception that they can get sunburned. There is a small percentage of deaf white dogs, and that's it. White boxers should never be bred and should be spayed/neutered. They should never be sold or misrepresented as "rare". They are not. They make wonderful pets and can and do very well in obedience & agility trials, therapy dogs and all the rest.

There are very few reputable breeders that "cull whites" anymore, although there are some unfortunately. Reputable breeders will place white pups in approved homes for a reasonable fee to cover costs of shots, worming, docking, and dew claws no more.

All breeds have diseases for which the breed is prone. Boxers can be prone to cancerous lumps/bumps, cardiomyopathy, sub aortic stenosis, thyroid, and as more backyard breeders come into play we are seeing cases of hip displasia. If you are seeking a pup, make sure your have seen the certification that the sire and dam have been dopplered, holtor monitored and also certification for hipm displasia. Most of these tests cannot be done on the parents until they've reached the age of 2.

There are very many wonderful boxer rescue organizations out there, just go under American Boxer Club site and they will give you sites for approved boxer rescue sites with many wonderful boxers. There is also White Boxer Rescue of New Jersey. There is also a very nice boxer message board where people will be very honest and upfront w/you. It is [url]http://www.voy.com/17040/[/url]

I lost my 12 yr. old white girl this past winter, as I helped her to the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Guest']I have never in my life seen so much misinformation regarding white boxers, culliing, and genetic defects in my life. Jacsmom gave some very correct information.

snip.[/quote]

I saw no misinformation on culling except for the people who think its 'horrible' to do it. One of many reasons so many poor quality dogs are being bred to death is because the irresponsible breeders in the breed from years ago saw no reason to cull when they could make money off of the dogs with defects :-(

Guest Anonymous

Like I've said before, most reputable breeders do not cull whites or checks anymore. Responsible breeders will put all their pups of all colors on a contract. Responsible breeders will not sell a white or a check. They will charge a fee to cover the cost of shots, worming, dew claw removal and docking. They stipulate in their contracts that pet quality pups (including whites and checks) MUST be spayed/neutered. If you take responsibility for bringing pups into the world, then you take responsibility for all of them. It's not hard to be sure pet quality pups are spayed/neutered. Most responsible breeders will also have in their contracts that any dog at any time of its life must be returned to the breeder should they owner not be able to keep it. They should not be given or sold to anyone else.

My personal opinion is also that responsible breeders should also give back to their beloved breed by doing some rescue work.

You see no misinformation in the posts other than culling, I find that very odd. I see the fact that you are only interested in the culling aspect of it and I will not condemn you for your pro culling views, as that's your perogative, but I don't have to agree w/you.

Guest Anonymous

Whatever you do take your time, read up, research and talk to owners of the breed you want. Ask as many questions as possible, cause you know once you get it it's going to be your best friend for a long time God willing.
Good Luck and hopefully you'll find that healthy dog you want.

Guest Anonymous

:evil: I swear some people are Idiots. Every reeder that is in it for the betterment of the breed will CULL! Maybe there would be a few less dog's without homes if the breeders bred for health and temperment. 1 culled pup = 1 less unstable, unhealthy and unwanted dog! Get a Life and realize culling is the best way to weed out problems. Alot of breeds would be so much better off if CULLING was done by breeders. So there! :P

Guest Anonymous

I'll refrain from the name calling, as you like to do, but responsible breeders do breed for health and temperment and that breeding has nothing to do w/culling. The fact that a boxer is white or check has nothing to do w/ breeding for health or temperment. It does not mean a white or check is any less healthy nor does it mean it doesn't have good temperment. it only means, the pup does not fit the boxer standard and should be spayed/neutered.

Your proud username speaks volumes for your attitude and your knowledge.

Guest Anonymous

This is a great resource for info on white boxers....good luck! :D

[url]http://ladywind.com/bxrpages/whitepgs.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

An active culler... :roll: thats not even right, I know some breeders still cull but you need to humble yourself and try not to be so outgoing about you and your culling.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']An active culler... :roll: thats not even right, I know some breeders still cull but you need to humble yourself and try not to be so outgoing about you and your culling.[/quote]

Actually you need to learn an awful lot in order to become a responsible breeder.
Culling now is often simply the spaying or neutering before placement of dogs that are not deemed suitable to breed. However it can also mean the humane euthanasia of pups not considered viable enough to go as pets.
Would you really wish a pup on someone knowing the pup will die of the heart defect you know it has it grow to adult size? how about a pup that cannot eat due to megasophagus that will likely die of food aspiration or other problems and will have to be hand fed for what life it has ahead of it?
Would you pay for cleft palate surgery knowing that other defects normally go along with this problem in dogs and the dog likely will not live long? Would you wish a pup with a serious autoimmune disorder or an inoperable liver shunt on anyone as a pet?
Hard as it sounds culling can be kinder than placing a pup when the pup will only bring rapid heartache in its new home.
Sadly unknowlegeable and unscrupulous breeders will have no compunctions about placing those pups and taking people's money for them :evil: and I count that a *much* larger crime than humanely sending over the bridge a pup that is not well and will likely never be well.

Guest Anonymous

No duh really guest! I'm only 14! I know I need to learn a lot about becoming a responsible breeder! But to have a name like active culler is not very fitting when we are talking over whether or not culling is right, wrong, why ext.

To our 'anti culling' guest, what you say about signing contracts etc can leave people open to alot of legal dispute and causes alot of unnessisary hassle! I don't get the double standard here, its not ok to breed mutts and unregistered dogs, but its ok to breed and sell other dogs that don't fit into any standard catagory? Why don't you just say "breed your dogs, it doesn't matter what mongrel they are, as long as the pups are desexed its all fine!" But who's going to enforce the desexing of these dogs that are all so unfit to be bred from? In another forum I'm in, someone is getting sued 1000's of dollars for a dog because it had a heart murmer, even though the person signed a contract saying they would get the dog vet checked within 72 hours of getting it, they didn't. This is a perfect example of what can go wrong if a simple contract is signed, and can't be enforced. I say can't be, because what if someone from another state buys it? No breeder can run around, checking all their pups to make sure the owners have followed instructions. Large kennels have so many litters a year it would be impossible and unnesissary to place all these white pups born, selling them at a price no one wants to pay for a dog that can never be shown (yes, microchipping etc costs DO add up), and also worry about legal contracts AND making sure they are followed through, all along with making sure the other litters are in prime health etc.
There is no right or wrong here, just a matter of how capable a breeder is of placing these dogs to the right homes, and there is a limited number of good homes as it is, as well as far too many Boxers in the Boxer rescue who are in need of one of these good homes.

Guest Anonymous

[quote="Anonymous.
Sadly unknowlegeable and unscrupulous breeders will have no compunctions about placing those pups and taking people's money for them :evil: and I count that a *much* larger crime than humanely sending over the bridge a pup that is not well and will likely never be well.[/quote]

:D You are a very smart person and those are the reasons every breeder should CULL. I may not be P.C. but I would never sell someone a known problem either!!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Louis']Maybe I skimmed through this too quick, but weren't we talking about puppies that are just the wrong colour? Where are you on culling these dogs? Just outta interest- polite query!![/quote]

Not just the wrong color but unhealthily wrong in the case of white boxers and other breeds where there is color indicating links to health issues.
Despite the fact a few people have done well with deaf dogs for example the number that are not treated well and are abandoned would make me tend to cull them if that were an issue in my particular breed.
However wrong color dogs that are healthy specimens would be culled by spay neuter before placement so they could not send those genes down the line in the hands of an irresponsible breeder. Theres Culling and then there is culling if you see what I mean.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, you are right. We were only talking about white/check boxers being culled. The beginning posts had nothing to do with healthy and well bred pups from responsible breeders.