Dogomania

allergies, hotspots, and odor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:My dog is a rednosed lousiana pitbull, and is 5 years old. we have had alleriy problems from day one. Can only use one type of dog food, or he really breaks out. I took him off the vet medicine two years ago and have him on homeopathy. It seemed to help, with the sores and hotspots, but he gets this odor that is awful, and I bathe him weekly. My uncle says I have him on the wrong dog food,(he raises standard poodle show dogs) but if I change food, he really breaks out. Was just reading on here that we should have them on human food, that dog food is junk food really, throw away stuff. Was wondering if his glands need cleaning, if this could be the problem, Anyone else have these problems, would appreciate an email. I love my dog, we bought him in Salome, arizona. He is in the house alone alot as we work. He is a friendly dog, but hates loud noise. The thunder storms have him under the bed shaking, guess he has bad nerves????My poor baby, any help would be appreciated. Please email me at [email][email protected][/email] Thankyou

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='marlene re Skooter']:My dog is a rednosed lousiana pitbull, and is 5 years old. we have had alleriy problems from day one. Can only use one type of dog food, or he really breaks out. I took him off the vet medicine two years ago and have him on homeopathy. It seemed to help, with the sores and hotspots, but he gets this odor that is awful, and I bathe him weekly. My uncle says I have him on the wrong dog food,(he raises standard poodle show dogs) but if I change food, he really breaks out. Was just reading on here that we should have them on human food, that dog food is junk food really, throw away stuff. Was wondering if his glands need cleaning, if this could be the problem, Anyone else have these problems, would appreciate an email. I love my dog, we bought him in Salome, arizona. He is in the house alone alot as we work. He is a friendly dog, but hates loud noise. The thunder storms have him under the bed shaking, guess he has bad nerves????My poor baby, any help would be appreciated. Please email me at [email][email protected][/email] Thankyou[/quote]

Do you know which thing in the food he is allergic to? I find my dogs are smelly when they are on lamb or fish based diets - so it might be there is a food you can swap to that will be minus the allergen and still be ok and have a different protein source that will make him less smelly.
Lots of times dogs with allergies have thyroid problems and that too could make his skin a bit smelly.
check out these sites on dog foodhttp://www.gooddogmagazine.com/drydogfood.htm
shows analysis of foods
[url]http://home.hawaii.rr.com/wolfepack/foodcht3.html[/url] this is a good one too