gooeydog

One in Splendora, Texas:
[url]http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1499002[/url]
[url]http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1500374[/url]

One in Minnesota:
[url]http://www.kstp.com/article/view/27539/[/url]

One in Toronto, Canada:
[url]http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoNews/ts.ts-07-19-0004.html[/url]

Why does it seem like the attacks always come in groups? There won't be any "newsworthy" dog attacks for a while, then all of a sudden they're everywhere...
terri

Guest Anonymous

A Pit Bull can definately get to be that big. They will always focus on the pit bull attacks because of their history...but you never hear about a Shepard or some other breed attacking someone. And you know that somewhere in the world it happens. I was bitten by a beagle...did anyone read about that in the newspaper? :(

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']A Pit Bull can definately get to be that big. They will always focus on the pit bull attacks because of their history...but you never hear about a Shepard or some other breed attacking someone. And you know that somewhere in the world it happens. I was bitten by a beagle...did anyone read about that in the newspaper? :([/quote]

Where where you when this beagle bit you? Was the dog yours? I'm just curious. Beagles are never aggresive dogs so I was just wondering.

Guest Anonymous

y is soo many people against pit bulls???
they may look scary but not until u get to know one!
well maybe dog fighting people use pit bulls because they are a strong breed and everythign but still the pit bulls nowdays are getting more and more insults! :x

Guest Anonymous

Unfortunately whatever is newsworthy TO THE NEWS gets on the air.
They have nothing better to do then to spread fear and panic. This time it happens to be the Pitbull Dog. They probably had nothing "Newsworthy" that day so on with the "Killer Dog" segment. The news most of the time is more of a nuisance than getting information.
An unbiased view would be for them to contact you all about "Good and Well behaved" PitBull's, talk to the owners etc.. They will not do that cause it doesn't sell or make any sense. As the saying goes, " A few bad apples spoils the whole bunch." The Pit's just got it THAT day.

Guest Anonymous

The sad thing is the dogs get the bad rap and the owners (if they can be found) get a slap on the wrists.

You almost never hear of a Pitbull, Staffie, etc. involved in a vicious attack when they are raised in a loving home and atmosphere. There are of course exceptions when young children are involved as sometime tiny kid can be view as prey, but this should be the responsibility of the parents in teaching their children (yes, even babies) that dogs are not meant to be jumped on, pulled on, stepped on. Parents should never allow any dog and young child alone, no matter what the situation - SUPERVISION.

Very few news reporters ever delve into the situations these attack dogs live in such as confined on chain in yard, fighting dogs (and there are signs), confined to the basement, being fed gunpowder as a lot of these pea brained idiots do or not feed at all. People in nice neighborhoods do have Pitbulls, but you never hear of vicious attacks occuring there, only where the dogs are thought of not as a pet but property and a money making device. The news never reports that simple solutions such as enforcing leash laws and licensing are already in place, but not enforced.

Guest Anonymous

its a good thing that here in the philippines. people dont react too harshly on media hypes about the pitbull breed...most of the media here even try their best to promote the real nature of this breed...its one thing i love about our culture...

Guest Anonymous

that is soo rite only "newsworthy" things are exciting
my god if those news crapheads dont know a thing about other dogs who are good tempered well they can just kiss my @$$!! :evil: :evil:
they just dont like being told theyre wrong like when k asked them over and they just thought that wouldbe boring and they knew that not all dogs were like the attacking dogs so they didnt want to be corrected i guess... :roll:
what a weird way to live!!! :roll: :o

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

:angel:

Have on many occasions written letters to te media regarding alleged Pit Bull Attacks, sick of the news. Helen Keller owned a Pit Bull as did Presdinet Theodore Roosevelt,Thomas Edison, Fred Astaire, and Mary Tyler Moore. The nations highest decorated canine war hero is a Pit Bull, and they were frequently used in WW1 and WW2 patritism posters. Petey and Tige were Pit Bulls . Maybe a Bichon-Frise will save you from a bear or mountain lion. Maybe they'll start storing snowballs in Hell. I always wanted a dog like Petey from the Little Rascals. Unfortunately the average person is not capable of critical thinking. I never heard the term "Pit Bull" until Buster Brown removed Tige from there logo because they didn't want to be associated with dog fighting, (did not bother them for the previous 50 years)! To own a Pit Bull is to Love a Pit Bull.In the words of Weaser from the Little Rascals "Leave my dog alone"
GOD created Pit Bulls, do you think he made a mistake.
Game dogs don't quit, game owners don't quit either.

Kevin, Layla and Skydog

Guest Anonymous

:oops:
That should be President Theodore Roosevelt :D
[url]http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/trmp/4097.mpg[/url]

And the breed standard calls for males : 45-55 lbs
females 35-45lbs

There were (are) catch weight dogs larger 60-75lbs anything larger than that and I start to doubt the purity of the breeding.

Newspapers sell advertising, they don't care about the truth.
Check out ArtBell.com, that damage was caused by a Rottweiller, got into a debate with the author about it and some of his remarks to me were chilling
[url]http://www.sysk-net.com/artbell/letters79.html[/url]

Eveyone should write this guy a letter, because when the article ran in the Newspaper, they said it was a Rottweiller, this is Hitlerian Genocidial Propaganda
[email][email protected][/email]

Curt Shamblin basically told me Art Bell was collabrating with the Federal Government to go house to house and kill Pit Bulls, I'm sure he's talking to hear himself speak, but that is fascism none-the-less :evil:

Pet your Pit...Don't Pit your Pet

Kevin, Layla and Skydog

[quote name='guest']:angel:

GOD created Pit Bulls, do you think he made a mistake.
Game dogs don't quit, game owners don't quit either.

Kevin, Layla and Skydog[/quote]

Ummmm, actually they are a "man" made creation from various infusions of dogs.

Not trying to start an argument, but they are a man-made for a very specific reason in mind and thus were bred for many, many generations for that purpose.

Guest Anonymous

Merely meant God created the attributes that man has honed to every breeds specific task. No offense intended or taken. American Pit Bull Terriers were bred to protect children and livestock from wild animals.
God also created the wild animals, and they deserve our respect also.

Kevin, Layla :angel: and Skydog :angel:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Michele']there are no bad dogs...there are bad owners......[/quote]

I agree. Dogs learn from people! And so you know, my Pup got attacked once, not by a pit.

[quote name='Guest Kevin']Merely meant God created the attributes that man has honed to every breeds specific task. No offense intended or taken. American Pit Bull Terriers were bred to protect children and livestock from wild animals.
God also created the wild animals, and they deserve our respect also.

Kevin, Layla :angel: and Skydog :angel:[/quote]

Hum....the history that I read said something different. I would like to read what you've read for a different view. Sounds interesting!

There's a ton of theories out there about how and why pit bulls came to be, and what their original purpose was. I tend to think that they [i]were[/i] a "multi-purpose" dog, not just a fighter (of bulls/dogs/bears), simply because of the living conditions they lived in. Most appeared to be owned by working class people, so it seems strange that they would have a dog around [i]only[/i] for fighting, and that that would be the [i]only[/i] thing they bred for. Not sure if that makes any sense at all... :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I completely agree with you. Although I have never owned a pit myself I love the "breed" and am actually writing a paper on them for my animal welfare class. Believe it or not i have had great difficulty finding bad press (actual legitimate sources) on pit bulls and was wondering if you could give me the name of the show or knew of any other resourses bashing pits.

tanks!!
laurie

[quote]I completely agree with you. Although I have never owned a pit myself I love the "breed" and am actually writing a paper on them for my animal welfare class. Believe it or not i have had great difficulty finding bad press (actual legitimate sources) on pit bulls and was wondering if you could give me the name of the show or knew of any other resourses bashing pits. [/quote]
You can check pretty much any news station's archives and find some bad press, although it may or may not be credible. MSNBC aired a [i]wonderful[/i] :roll: show about dangerous dogs last year, on which a rep from the Michigan Humane Society spouted out tons of false information. Some of the things I remember from it were pit bulls having 1000 lbs "clamping power" in their jaws, having locking jaws, and the shelter rep demonstrated: a pit bull in their shelter being "game" for playing tug, and being aggressive because it chewed up a leather collar. He then said that the dog could have been bred and it's pups sold for thousands of dollars apiece, but it was going to be PTS because pit bulls are too "aggressive by nature" to be adopted out. Another shelter worker described all pit bulls as unpredictable, saying, "they'll wag their tails one minute and bite you the next". They had an interview with a dogfighter (who was in prison at the time), who's dog had attacked his stepson, and he carried on about "the sport" for a while. Also, FX has a show called "when good pets go bad" (or something along those lines) that airs pretty often, and you might be able to use that.

Guest Anonymous

I hate it when that happens! I once watched this thing on TV where the Pit (or was it a Stafie? I forget) attacked someone, because their owner taught them to be a gaurd dog. The "intruder" was attacked because the person let the dog out to do so. The dog ended up gettng put down! It was the OWNER'S FAULT! NOT THE DOG!
Owning an aggressive dog myself (and she's a loveable Border Collie +!) I know how much responsibility that is, and even if by some chance (which I prey it NEVER happens, and with more hard work and training, I'm trying to prevent any chances of it happening!) Hazel attacked someone, it wouldn't get on the news... I wonder if she was a Pit and attacked someone, do you think THEN it would get on the news?! People shouldn't give dogs a bad rap because of what has happend in the past. People bred Pits to fight, which is just barbaric. It makes me sick to think of what the poor breed has been though!! :cry:
Just thought I'd put my peice in...