Dogomania

clipping my puppies nails?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I tried clipping my puppies nails this weekend and he cried like I was hurting him, so I ended up not even clipping one. It is painful or was he just scared? I wasn't clipping too low... i didn't think. He has very long nails and they are very painful to my skin.

He is about 10 weeks old (great dane/rott mix).

Guest Anonymous

His nails are black and I seem to have plenty of room to trim. I bearly even touched them and he was yelping like I was trying to kill him. I was definately cutting before the bend. Also, maybe he could tell i was nervous about hurting him.

By the way, he was weighed for the first time today he is about 22 lbs and 10 weeks old.

What is Dremel?

Guest Anonymous

When I did Hazel's toes the first time, the breeder did it... she hated it! She wiggled around and squirmed, but we got it done... she was only 2 months old. The second time I had a groomer do it and had her show me how to do it. Hazel didn't like it then either, the girl was a stranger and there were way too many other things to look at. Now I do it about once a week, her nails are nice and short. Mind they are both black and pale pink, I clip the pink with no prob, but I am very careful with the black and only clip the tip. She just lays there and lets me do it.
I think the difference is that she's not overstimulated, by new people or places, and I don't hold her down. I also wait until she is asleep which is most of the time... :roll:

Owner of the laziest aussie in the world!!!

Guest Anonymous

I LOVE the Dremel. I bought one and will never use clippers again. It goes sooo fast. The only thing is that it smells very bad when you are dremeling..

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']That is so true Beagle!!! I always do all four at the same time and talk about gross!!! I do them together so I only have to endure the smell once!!! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Thats the way to go! Also you see the powder that flys up all around you and thats the "nail dust" gross!!