Dogomania

Itchy Itchy!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I feel like Cadie is ALWAYS itching. The only thing is, she doesn't seem to have any irritated spots to cause itching or as a result of the itching. We bathe her about once a month and I brush her once or twice a week. Does she get mosquito bites? Any other reasons for all this itchiness? I know how much I hate to itch from a mosquito bite or poison ivy, so I can't imagine feeling itchy feels good to her...but maybe I am wrong.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Cadies_Mom']I feel like Cadie is ALWAYS itching. The only thing is, she doesn't seem to have any irritated spots to cause itching or as a result of the itching. We bathe her about once a month and I brush her once or twice a week. Does she get mosquito bites? Any other reasons for all this itchiness? I know how much I hate to itch from a mosquito bite or poison ivy, so I can't imagine feeling itchy feels good to her...but maybe I am wrong.[/quote]

There are a host of reasons for something like this - with one dog the vet had done metal internal sutures and they were driving her nuts! but more commonly it is caused by an allergy including pest bites, airborn allergens or food allergies. Sometimes too it can be a dietary lack - some dogs are helped by oil of evening primrose capsules which contain fatty acids needed by the dog. Others need to go and see a veterinary allergist and find out what is really wrong. But that once a month bath could be your problem too! as it removes all her nice skin oils and probably coats her in some kind of perfume!

Guest Anonymous

Is she a longhaired dog or shorthaired? longhaired need baths abot once every week or two, but short haired, only 1 about every few months.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='candybug2002']Is she a longhaired dog or shorthaired? longhaired need baths abot once every week or two, but short haired, only 1 about every few months.[/quote]

That is not quite right - combing and brushing is what counts for keeping coat and skin healthy - bathing dries out the skin and coat. No dog should need a bath every week or two unless its a real mudpuppy :lol: and even then a rinse no soap should be all that is needed plus a brush out.
If you are using shampoos with flea and tick killers in them be very careful about the frequency of use as you could accidentally poison your dog depending on the product being used.

Guest Anonymous

Hey thanks guest! I guess i need to bathe Lucy less often! :oops: Thanks for answering politely and not being a @$$hole!!

Guest Anonymous

We never bathe our dog. He goes swimming in a stock tank all the time. We do sometimes have to use a colloidal oatmeal conditioner or rinse on him when his skin gets too dry (from swimming too much).

He sometimes gets a little ripe. I just take him swimming and towel dry him off and everything is roses (sort of). The conditioner makes him smell good.

When he gets fleas, we use a spray, that I make, of Avon's Skin So Soft, Rosemary, Cedar, Lavendar and a touch of Apple Cider Vinegar. It smells good and he doesn't mind being sprayed with it. The fleas, so far, hate it and stay off of him.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']
But that once a month bath could be your problem too! as it removes all her nice skin oils and probably coats her in some kind of perfume![/quote]

If it's the fequency of her bath, would she itch more right after it? I feel like she itches more as it gets closer to "bath time." I'm not one to give her a bath once a month to the day, it just seems that by about 6 weeks or so she has gotten fairly dirty (and a bit smelly, but I also have a sensitive nose). I will have to look at my shampoo, maybe and all natural one would be better????

Guest Anonymous

Cadies is a beloved mut of some kind. Maybe some boxer or pit? When my husband and I look at pictures of those breeds, we think she could go either way. She's short haired... I should try and upload a pic.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Cadies_Mom'][quote name='Anonymous']
But that once a month bath could be your problem too! as it removes all her nice skin oils and probably coats her in some kind of perfume![/quote]

If it's the fequency of her bath, would she itch more right after it? I feel like she itches more as it gets closer to "bath time." I'm not one to give her a bath once a month to the day, it just seems that by about 6 weeks or so she has gotten fairly dirty (and a bit smelly, but I also have a sensitive nose). I will have to look at my shampoo, maybe and all natural one would be better????[/quote]

Are you brushing her daily? that should really help with the smelly dirty bit.
Might be the bath makes her less itchy as it hydrates the skin.
The things I would look at in this situation include diet, type of shampoo, frequency of grooming, underlying issues such as parasites or allergies or even possible thyroid problems - my theory is start with the simplest possible cause - and work up to the worrisome ones with the vet :-) if nothing gets cured. Itchiest dogs I ever saw were 1) a dog with an autoimmune disorder and multiple allergies and 2) a dog who's owner had her on a low fat diet thinking fat was bad in the same way for dogs as it is for humans.