Dogomania

Everyone with a dog......Register here.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Welcome! There is another boxer owner and lover here so if you have any questions about the breed she would know! I know you will get lots of info and you will have a blast here!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I am also a boxer mom. I have 7 boxers and 2 boxerbulls.

boxerbull ( Baby and Buckshot today buckshot turns 4 yrs.)
boxers ( Brandi,Buster,Lucky,Cinnamon,Chance,Midnight,Panther)

I just love my boxers. I also have a cat and a horse.

welcome Jenn! I'm new here too....nice to see yet another Boxer addict:)
Just curious,since you share your home with both Boxers and Bull Boxers....Do you find that there's a difference in temperament and personality between the two?? Before I got my Boxer, I almost adopted a young Bull Boxer from the humane society, however the apartment complex where I live has a strictly enforced breed ban that includes pits AND pit crosses.....he seemed like a really sweet dog though...typical wiggly boxer personality...just stockier with a long tail. I felt really bad having to leave him there :( It just seems so unfair that an entire breed of dog(including mixes of that breed) get tagged with such a horrible reputation because of bad ownership and unplanned breeding! I hope somebody saw thru the negativity surrounding his Pitbull bloodline and gave him a good home.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, But to answer your question NO I do not see any difference between my boxers and boxerbulls. They all are very good natured great with my kids and everyone. I have raised litters out of both and people just love all them. I have had people get a pup out of both litters and they really talk about how smart my boxerbull pups are.My boxerbulls are American bulldogs not pitts. So i don't know if this has really answered your question or not. I will be glad to try to answer any more question if you have any or try to anyway. :D I am sure that some one did take the dog home with them. It would be hard to leave it behind also.

Jenn,

Ooops!..My mistake :D ...there was a thread going recently about Pit/Boxer mixes(BullBoxers),so I just assumed BoxerBulls were the same thing. I've never met an American Bulldog IRL,so I don't know much about them (I've just seen pics)....I'm SUCH a sucker for ANY type of "Bully" breed though (must be the "smushie faces,and almost "human" personalities...lol)....I'd be interested to see a pic of your BoxerBulls sometime....do you dock them or leave their tails natural??

Guest Anonymous

Lyn,
That's O.K. I will be glad to send you pics of my dogs and I would love to pics of your boxers.Send me an email so I will have your email address. I have on boxerbull with her tail not docked but my male has his tail docked. With her litter of pups I have their tails done. But I do not clipp any of my dogs ears. One of my male has his done but they were already done when i got him. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Breed: Doberman
Weight: 36 lbs.
Name: AKC Belgja Von Vicaral (pronounced "Bell-kya)
Sex: Femme
Color: Red/Rust

A true people dog, she just has to be in my lap at all times! So far one ear can stand on its own but the other flops...backk to taping.

I have a rottie, he is black and tan,
weight very heavy, :)
age about 6/7,not to sure because he's a resure dog.
But we have had him 5 years.
NAME ROCKY
Also a jack russel cross,
age 6months,
black and tan,
weight not as heavy as th rottie :)
both quite well behaved :wink:
name BILLY

Guest Anonymous

BTW, Guest, could you just shut up if you have nothing good to say? Jeez...

Name: Ana's Tobasco Inferno(Bosco)
Breed: Doberman
Color: red/rust
Weight: about 75lbs
"Tricks"(thought this might be interesting): Platz(down), Fuss(heel), Sitz(sit), Come, Stop(stopping whatever he's doing), Stand, Stay, Schutz(this is kind of interesting... It actually means guard in German, but he just growls. Lol, there's really not a mean bone in his body, but I thought it might be good just in case... :)), Take-A-Bow, and when I whistle he stops what he's doing and comes right away.

He's a pretty smart doggie! :D

Guest Anonymous

[color=blue]this thread is great fun, what a good idea! :D
Ok now I forgot all the questions....I have 2 male corgis, 3 years old. They are extremely spoiled. The newest dog I have had for about one month, his name is Dakota. He is either sheltie or collie mixed with (aus. shepherd???). The shelter said he is 18 months old but the vet said he doesn't think he's 1 year yet. He acts 4 months!

And newflawyer, I solved the husband problem with bringing home new pets....got rid of the husband!!! at some point during the divorce, he said I could come back, but the animals had to stay gone....I said no thanks! now he has a new wife and they have :evil: CATS! :evil: there is justice :wink: So I'll join that club of old ladies with 450 pets...I'm getting there rapidly!
[/color]

Guest Anonymous

I have 4 dogs:
Name:Scruffy
Breed:Pit Bull/Husky (More Pit)
Color:Black with white

Name:Milo
Breed:Australian Terrier
Color:Black/Blue/Tan(Grey)

Name:Otis
Color:Black/Tan

Name:Mike's Naughty Nike
Breed:Pure MIN PIN
Other:Has AKC papers,up for stud

Guest Anonymous

I have 4 dogs:
Name:Scruffy
Breed:Pit Bull/Husky (More Pit)
Color:Black with white
Weight:100 pounds

Name:Milo
Color:Black/Blue/Tan(Grey)
Weight:18

Name:Otis
Weight:20

Name:Mike's Naughty Nike
Breed:Pure MIN PIN
Other:Has AKC papers,up for stud
Weight:6 and a half

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl'][quote name='stiff'][quote name='DobieGal']BTW, Guest, could you just shut up if you have nothing good to say? Jeez...[/quote]

That was cool[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

that was a good one.....thought I would help carry it out!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

We only have one dog... my poor Hazel with the stupid elizabethan collar, and she looks even more unhappy now that she's awake! She's 5 months and dark blue (or lavender as I like to call it) merel with her face half black split down the middle. She's a smaller dog and only about 25-30 lb right now... but she's still growing.
I also have 4 fish tanks, one a full blown 60 gal reef tank, coral and all (i am propogating for local stores to save reefs! :D )
Two birds, one a sedate and lovely diamond dove, and the other who's in league with smooshies macaw is a greencheek conure (you aint seen nothen till you've seen a grown man cowed by a 4 ounce bird!!! :lol: :lol: )
BTW my mom had an eclectus, and she really was a rottie! She would chase people out of her house if she thought she didn't like them! (of course I think a rott would have a lot more manners then rosie ever did!!!) :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='hazelhover']We only have one dog... my poor Hazel with the stupid elizabethan collar, and she looks even more unhappy now that she's awake! She's 5 months and dark blue (or lavender as I like to call it) merel with her face half black split down the middle. She's a smaller dog and only about 25-30 lb right now... but she's still growing.
I also have 4 fish tanks, one a full blown 60 gal reef tank, coral and all (i am propogating for local stores to save reefs! :D )
Two birds, one a sedate and lovely diamond dove, and the other who's in league with smooshies macaw is a greencheek conure (you aint seen nothen till you've seen a grown man cowed by a 4 ounce bird!!! :lol: :lol: )
BTW my mom had an eclectus, and she really was a rottie! She would chase people out of her house if she thought she didn't like them! (of course I think a rott would have a lot more manners then rosie ever did!!!) :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

LOL...yup...its almost embarrassing to admit, but my Macaw IS the self proclaimed "Alpha" in our family....she won't back down to ANYTHING......oh...AND she growls.....scares the HELL out of the pizza delivery guy :wink:

[quote name='sashagirl']I want a Cockatoo so badly, but my boyfriend says birds are too loud.. :x[/quote]

Not to discourage ANYONE from wanting a bird(I'm a huge bird advocate :) ) but they ARE loud....'Toos and Macaws are the loudest,and if you think your DOGS are stubborn ,they've got NOTHING on a parrot!! eeeek!
K is right...you really have to be careful about selecting a breeder (NEVER buya parrot from a pet store)and be sure to get a hand raised baby, as opposed to one that is wild caught (I think that is SO cruel!!! :( ),
They can be very difficult to socialize and are selective of who they accept....as a matter of fact,large parrots (especially amazons) have been known to literally fall in love with their favorite person,and will display mating rituals when that person is in the room...LOL....the downside to this is that they see other people and pets as a potential threat to their "perceived mate" and can be violently protective of them.......I knew one woman who's amazon parrot would "dive bomb" her boyfriend everytime he came in the room.They can be very difficult to handle....
When I first got my Boxer it was rough...I had to introduce him to the Macaw VERY slowly,because she was very jealous of him(and completely unafraid), and he (being a boxer) has a high prey drive,and saw her as a potential meal.....had to keep them separated for a long time........They have accepted each other now though,and have agreed on some sort of "pack order"....sooooo things are going smoothly....
Sheesh....talk about OFF TOPIC....yikes...I keep forgetting I'm on a dog forum, and here I am off on a lonnnnng tangent about my macaw.....sorry! I could brag all day about ALL my babies :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Oh boy have you all opened a can of worms... :D
Before I was into dogs... before fish... before kids and husbands....
there was bird! :o
I have worked with several types, several ages, several situations with birds. My first was a parakeet... and they got bigger from there!
First I agree with smooshie, sasha, cockatoos are a lot of work! Of all birds this is probably the worst for the amount of time needed... they are a 24-7 animal, and one mistake and you could have a neurotic feather plucker on your hand, chewing on your hand! And noise is unbelievable!!! Imagine jurasic park at decible 90! The goffins and rosate or galla cockatoo are the least demanding... but goffins are hard to find in some areas and gallas are very expensive at least 1500-5000 US, unless you live in australia, I heard they are a dime a dozen there!
And as far as petstores vs. breeders... depends on both. I have seen some amazing petstores! When I worked at Petsmart our birds were very spoiled! I worked with them all everyday, even the really nasty ones! We had a greenwing macaw who thought he was a baby! I would flip him on his back and tickle his toes as he screamed and flapped his wings! He was also the most dangerous bird I worked for... he once effortlessly popped a broomstick in half (let's see a pit do that!) and he wasn't full grown yet. I have also seen some of the most deplorable conditions in petstores... :cry: and have saved several birds from these places, rehabilitated them, and found them good homes....
And if you think puppy mills are disgusting... some places make me retch that breed birds! There is one place in the state of Washington that might as well be a mill, I have never been there personally but have heard unpleasant things about this place! I also know of a breeder in Aberdeen wa. who keeps a sterile environment, closed circuit tvs to monitor her birds and feeds them better then most 4 star restaraunts!
To K, I don't know about where you live but most parrots are off the import list and any bird under 10 will most likely be captive bred. I once had a 12 yr old umbrella cockatoo... crazy and neurotic, and he chewed his sholder feathers... after 6 mo of rehab he stopped chewing but was still not very managable... I could have done better, but he was truely my first and most expensive rehab. He went to the home of a play write with nothing better to do but entertain this bird :D . If you find a bird that is wild caught, it will most likly be illeagal!
If you socialize the same as a dog, birds generally will be great... they will never be as friendly as a dog, but I have met older macaws that would alow just about everybody to handle him... and even pet him. Some species will bond more to one person, such as greys, amazons, and quaker parakeets...(my mom had a quaker that I hand fed, that bird hated me, but I would still pick him up with a gloved hand and scratch his neck. Zazu's eyes would be closed in extacy even though he growled the entire time! :lol: )
Well there you have it... birds on a dog forum. But honestly if you want to talk birds.... I think I have read more books, mags, science research papers, vet school books (gotta know how to fix those broken legs....) on birds then anything else! :roll:
Hey anybody want a broken down diamond dove? Just kidding, my boys are so attatched to him, he was the last rescue and never could find a home for a flightless, broken hipped avairy bird.... The pet store he was bought at told the owners to feed him wild bird seed, keep his cage outside, and never warned that cloth frays and can wrap around little birdy legs... another store I have a very high opinion of....sigh.

Oooops hazelhover, you make a good point and I stand corrected :D ...PetSmart IS the exception to the rule......but since I practically LIVE at PetSmart,I sometimes forget its actually a Pet Store...I don't put it into the same category as some of the less than savory pet stores I've been to.
As for wild caught birds....even though its illegal...there's ALWAYS someone willing to take the risk :roll: ...my 21 yr old niece recently bought a Senegal parrot from a privately owned pet store(against MY advice) The bird was completely unmanageable....VERY timid of people...sooooo, I went back with her to the pet store and inquired about the bird's history and ask why a supposedly hand raised bird was so aggressive. The woman at the petstore informed me that it actually WASN'T hand raised,but was wild caught...then she produced an import certificate and admitted that the bird was 15 yrs old (my neice had been told it was a "baby") and that it had been sold numerous times previously and had been brought BACK (grrrrr....) no WONDER the poor thing was so vicious, being bounced around like that and never socialized properly! Anyway, my niece still has the bird and (she is the most patient girl in the world) has made some progress with him.
oh...and since I'm wildly off on another bird tangent AGAIN, to anyone thinking of adding a bird to their family,please also keep in mind their lifespan.....smaller birds (cockatiels) can live into their 20's and the larger parrots can live 50 to 80 yrs or more!!! Its a big commitment!...I keep telling my 4 yr old son that India (our Macaw) is his "inheritance" lol and I'm sure I'm not far from the truth :wink:
NOW to make this DOG related...I'm off to walk the fur kid...........ciao!