Dogomania

Poop scooping?! and other ---

Louis

Okay.. I gotta ask...
As I am considering my first dog(s) at present I would love to know what everyone does for 'waste disposal' when picking up after their pets?
I am not keen on the common method around here of putting a hand in a plastic carrier bag to pick up muck.. this is because I would rather use something biodegradeable to put poo in.
Anyone got an environmentally friendly system they can reccommend for disposing of doggy do..?
Also I have got the impression from caring for other people's dogs that those fed on dry rather than canned dog food had firmer and less smelly droppings- we may have mentioned this a bit in a former post- Would anyone back up this perception or am I wrong?
Okay, I realise its a bit of a yukky topic.. :oops:
But I really need to know about this stuff!!
Thanks for any help!

Guest Anonymous

Our dog will only (ok, 97% of the time) poop in our yard (which we encourage, since we don't like to pick up poop either). Our routine has turned into going outside to pee and poop, then go for a walk. This way, we don't have to carry anything with us, and we don't have to pick up the poop. About once a week we can scoop the poop with a shovel into a garden area. If you train your dogs to poop in the yard, you can create a compost pile of some sort. That's good for the plants and environmentally friendly.

I've also seen a guy walk his dog with a newspaper under his arm. As soon as the dog squats, he puts the newspaper under the dog and the poop lands on the newspaper and he tosses it in the trash. The first time I saw this, I almost laguhed outloud, but then he doesn't have to touch it throuhg a bag (which to me is still icky). So, it kinda makes sense.

Let's remember, everybody poops! :D

Guest Anonymous

Ok, well, call me a crackpot, but I have EIGHT frickin' dogs a'crapping in my yard. The number one poo control thing I recommend is a decent diet. If you feed stuff with lots of fillers and icky things (don't you just love my technical jargon), you'll get LOTS of poo. And it won't be pretty (as if any poo is). So a proper diet is very important in poo control. Much better, if you must, to pick up a firm, compact stool than something the dog just blew out of his back end (yuck).

What we typically do with the poo that does land in our yard is sort of recycle it, as gross as that sounds. We put it in the areas that one of my dogs loves to dig. For whatever reason, dogs won't dig (at least mine won't) where there is poo. I put it in my flower beds and in areas that I really don't want them digging. That way, I'm not necessarily having to dodge land mines when walking barefoot through my yard and the poo has a useful function. Works like a charm. Hey, the stuff has to go somewhere. :o

Guest Anonymous

When our dogs poop in the yard, I sneak out there, pick it up with the shovel and throw it into the neighbor's yard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOT REALLY! There is a company that makes a biodegradeable waste type can that you bury into the ground and then put the poop in. The microb's eat the poop (eeooowww), it's like a composting toilet.

The health department says not to compost dog poop to use on the garden because of the parasites that can be transmitted to humans.

Our health department might say that... if they knew :P .

No, seriously, I'm kind of assuming(?) that since my dogs are in a fenced area that NO other dogs have access to and have regular fecals done and are parasite free that it wouldn't be a problem? Or am I wrong? This was just my assumption, but I'm SURE someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be called ugly names, they'll talk about my mama... oh my, I'll be the laughing stock of the doggie forums! :(

Seriously, am I wrong on the parasites thing? Someone? Anyone?

Oh, Treavor, the things you speak of... I think you are talking about the Doggie Dooleys! If anyone has one of these devices, I'd be curious to know about it as it seems like a wonderful way to dispose of "stuff." I just never checked into one further when I found out that the doo doo kept my dog from digging around the pool... :oops:

Guest Anonymous

If you arent gonna have company, and your dog poops outside, Its easier to wait like a day and pick it up when its dry and hard.

This is discusting and I wish I could stop it but here goes....my dalmation goes in the laundry room and eats cat poo and my puppy well, cleans up after herself if i dont see it soon enough. :oops: this isnt toxic or anything, like it wont hurt the dogs? (i think my puppy has been watching freckles!)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Our health department might say that... if they knew :P .

No, seriously, I'm kind of assuming(?) that since my dogs are in a fenced area that NO other dogs have access to and have regular fecals done and are parasite free that it wouldn't be a problem? Or am I wrong? This was just my assumption, but I'm SURE someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be called ugly names, they'll talk about my mama... oh my, I'll be the laughing stock of the doggie forums! :(

Seriously, am I wrong on the parasites thing? Someone? Anyone?

Oh, Treavor, the things you speak of... I think you are talking about the Doggie Dooleys! If anyone has one of these devices, I'd be curious to know about it as it seems like a wonderful way to dispose of "stuff." I just never checked into one further when I found out that the doo doo kept my dog from digging around the pool... :oops:[/quote]

Parasites are actually soil borne. In other words, they live in the soil. Of course, Tapeworms are vectored by fleas and heartworms are vectored by mosquitos.

Guest Anonymous

What a lovely topic....Well i discussed it with Jac and dry food seems to
produce a firmer stool but certain ones may give loose stool really it is up to the doggies digestive system. I would go with dry though... If you change food alot it will also be loose so find a good food and stick with it. :)

As far a disposing.. I would train my dog to go on command if I were you. Mine do.. It is very convenient. Then I have a certain area also. I dispose of it in the woods every 2 days.(by then it is firmer also) This is if no dogs are sick. If one is it all goes in a 3 gallon bucket lined with a trash bag and is picked up by the trash man. Boy I bet he loves me!!

Well there is mine and Jacs .02 on Poo!! :D

Guest Anonymous

As far as eating their own poop, I can't imagine it's THAT bad for them, since mammas do it to their young (stimulation). Our Kika was doing it untill we were getting the pups outside to go. We had to force her to stop cleaning up after them (and to stop nursing).

Here's a link for the outside/in ground waste recepticle.
[url]www.jbpet.com[/url]
On the left side, click on Sanitation & Housebreaking. Then click on yard tools!

I am also interested in seeing how this works. Please let me know if you have one or have used one!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']I have been looking into doggy toilets on the internet recently and I found that there are basically 2 sorts...one uses chemicals to break down the matter and it seeps into the ground!?! the other is supplied with worms who apparently will deal with the matter you put in there in their own special way and you just leave it at that...unfortunately I don't remember the website but I do recall they were'nt that expensive...[/quote]
Doggie Dooley is one name brand and it works like a septic tank does biggest problem is it is useless in areas where the ground freezes in winter.
You are not supposed to put dog stool in compost heaps that will be used on vegetable gardens for the above stated reasons of parasites etc and real composting folks would avoid it anyway as you are not supposed to compost much stuff from meat sources - for some reason it does not break down as well and also I think it imbalances the compost in some way. (Been a long time since I considered composting the poop ;-) so I don't recall all the info )
If you have property where you can bury it that works, if you don't you can bundle it into the trash (does a great job of keeping free roaming dogs from getting into the trash!) for sanitary disposal.

Guest Anonymous

Hey that is okay because the neighbors dog comes and poops in my yard!!! If I ever catch him..... I am thinking of building a big poo wall where he comes across through the woods...

Question (really) Are other dogs not detered by another feces?

I am much better informed than I was, thanks!!
I realise its perhaps a much less attractive topic than some, but I have never wanted to view the world of dog ownership through rosy spectacles.. I am fully aware, and ready to deal with the fact, that while the front end will be licking me all happy cos I am home, the back end will be brewing up something less easy to get enthusiatic about............!! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Louis']I am much better informed than I was, thanks!!
I realise its perhaps a much less attractive topic than some, but I have never wanted to view the world of dog ownership through rosy spectacles.. I am fully aware, and ready to deal with the fact, that while the front end will be licking me all happy cos I am home, the back end will be brewing up something less easy to get enthusiatic about............!! :lol:[/quote]
It seems to be a hallmark of real dog people - if they are not debating foods to feed they are discussing the um 'end product' of such feeding
:roll: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

i guess i have something to say about this subject too. I have to clean up everyday b/c I share the yard with a family with chidren.

I pick up what I can and use the hose to clean it off the grass and help dissolve it into the ground. I would use newspaper to pick up the droppings since it's biodegradeable.

I had a friend ask me how to train a dog only to use a certain part of the yard. Any ideas? that would help me too.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']i guess i have something to say about this subject too. I have to clean up everyday b/c I share the yard with a family with chidren.

I pick up what I can and use the hose to clean it off the grass and help dissolve it into the ground. I would use newspaper to pick up the droppings since it's biodegradeable.

I had a friend ask me how to train a dog only to use a certain part of the yard. Any ideas? that would help me too.[/quote]

A leash works nicely for that :wink: and reward training can work well for it too - but its LOTS easier to do it with a new yard than one where the dog is accustomed to using the whole area. I've seen people put in gravelled areas and teach their dogs to use that spot.

Guest Anonymous

My friend has an Anatolian Shepherd. She was telling me that her dog buries her poop. Well, I didn't believe her. It's true! I went for a visit the other day and sure enough. We were outside and the Anatolian went to poop. She finished, turned around smelled it and made a real disgusted looking face (hahaha) and she took her nose and pushed dirt on top of the poop. Totally cool. Yes, we were totally sober. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']i guess i have something to say about this subject too. I have to clean up everyday b/c I share the yard with a family with chidren.

I had a friend ask me how to train a dog only to use a certain part of the yard. Any ideas? that would help me too.[/quote]

I have a 10x10 kennel in the yard. This is the only place Jac will use the bathroom! We leave the gate open and when he has to go he goes in the kennel uses the bathroom and comes out.. All we did was take him to it as a pup and that is where he goes now!! It makes poopy scooping alot easier also... It is all in one general area!! :wink:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Treavor']When our dogs poop in the yard, I sneak out there, pick it up with the shovel and throw it into the neighbor's yard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOT REALLY! There is a company that makes a biodegradeable waste type can that you bury into the ground and then put the poop in. The microb's eat the poop (eeooowww), it's like a composting toilet.

[/quote]i like this idea but neither of my neighbours have dogs they would know it was me. so i will have to remove it myself and dispose of it

Guest Anonymous

I also have a problem with the neighbors dog pooing in our yard, not clar, but sisque... and she does it in the play area AARRGG!! :x I agree that if I catch her it will be the end of her ever wanting to come in the yard again!!! Hazel prefers the bushes and long grass, and since that is in places that nobody goes I think that's cool! I think I got her started on it when I started throwing her "piles" into the bushes... I guess she figured that's where it was saposed to go and she'd save me the process of throwing it there... good dog!! 8)

Guest Anonymous

Not a pretty topic, but something we [b]doo [/b]have to deal with every day! :P
I live in an Apartment complex in Atlanta, GA that "requires" you to clean up after your pet.
It is helpful that they have "doggie waste stations" which consist of a garbage can on a post, with a plastic bag dispenser above it to encourage you to pick up after your pooch.
We clean up after her all the time, exept when it is loose. :oops:
How can I clean THAT up with a plastic bag?
I have noticed that A lot of owners do not clean up after them at all! :evil:
Especially the ones that don't keep them on leashes! That is against the rules here, and could be dangerous! (cars speeding through, etc.)
What if they approach a dog that is not friendly? :x

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Our health department might say that... if they knew :P .
<snip>Oh, Treavor, the things you speak of... I think you are talking about the Doggie Dooleys! If anyone has one of these devices, I'd be curious to know about it as it seems like a wonderful way to dispose of "stuff." I just never checked into one further when I found out that the doo doo kept my dog from digging around the pool... :oops:[/quote]

Horsefeathers you are hilarious. :D

by the way I bought the doggie dooley and the $20 container of "chemical" (someone told me it is simply red lye, which is cheap-cheap-cheap). Guess what? It says to dig a 48" hole to put it in! That would take til next year! With all of your dogs it would take even LONGER cuz you would need 2 of them. Maybe we could get the dogs to dig the holes??? :wink:

Corgilady
[url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=85994 [/url]

• 6 months later...

When I adopted Jackie from the shelter in February 2002, I didn't know if she was a fence jumper, so when I had her in the back yard I put her on a very long cable so that she could use most of the yard, but not get to the fence. She decided to use only one part of the yard to do her duties in, and after I turned her out in the yard without the cable attached, she continued to use the same area. I call it the "minefield."

When I adopted Maya in October of 2002, I left some of Jackie poop in the minefield, hoping that Maya would also just use that area. And lo and behold, that's the only place she'll go too! Jackie taught her well! If I throw a ball for Jackie that lands on the other side of the minefield, she'll go around the minefield. She NEVER walks through the minefield unless she has to poop or pee (even though I keep everything picked up regularly).