Dogomania

Need Info On Seizures

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Yeah I mention the CEN site with the Chinooks 'seizures' he said what??? I told him I would print it and give him the site!! The first vet said we do CBC and a liver panel.. So asked about a thyroid... They said that really would not show anything... Well from what I have read lots of Labs and for that matter dogs in general have thyroid problems that will in turn give seizures sometimes... Makes you wonder how many dogs they have on seizure meds with a thyroid problem????

Second vet said muscles not keeping up with bones switch food..done...'Seizures' increase..(I see another straw)(Hold for straw) If they keep up could be a pinched nerve or disc in back....

Here is the straw...What would large breed puppy food contain that adult food would not??????(that is the new straw!!?) :wink:[/quote]

LOTS of labs with thyroid problems - and some breeders use the thyroid meds and breed affected dogs. :cry:
I think the vet is confused on the large breed food myself.
Now off the wall idea :) - the only time I have seen a large bone break in that age bigger breed dog it happened to be a rescue with an underlying issue of whipworms which were stealing the good nutrition before his body got it essentially. I also have seen a very slow healing bone in a smaller dog that unbeknownst to vet or owners had the same problem. Whips can be really hard to detect as they do not always produce the eggs used to diagnose them so often the only indicator is an occasional stool with mucous in it. Worth it perhaps to consider a general worming with something that will kill that parasite off.
Sorry to hear about the nerve damage - I hope the nerve regenerates as you may have to look at amputation otherwise.

Guest Anonymous

Jac is on Interceptor, which kills whip, hook, round, and heartworms. Whipworm larva can live in the ground for up to 10 yrs so basically all you do there is stop the cycle. As far as I know we do not have them here and he is a house dog. He gets Interceptor every month. I will be getting a stool sample done also as a percaution anyway. None of his parents have thyroid problems but as far as further down the line I am not sure... I could contact breeders..

He was on large breed puppy food until 5 months then placed on adult food...with this change he had more 'seizures'.

We are not sure if about the damage yet due to the fact that he cannot use the leg yet...hopefully it will come back and be fine his surgery was on 7-5-2002 so it has not been that long... We are hoping for the best!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Jac is on Interceptor, which kills whip, hook, round, and heartworms. Whipworm larva can live in the ground for up to 10 yrs so basically all you do there is stop the cycle. As far as I know we do not have them here and he is a house dog. He gets Interceptor every month. I will be getting a stool sample done also as a percaution anyway. None of his parents have thyroid problems but as far as further down the line I am not sure... I could contact breeders..

He was on large breed puppy food until 5 months then placed on adult food...with this change he had more 'seizures'.

We are not sure if about the damage yet due to the fact that he cannot use the leg yet...hopefully it will come back and be fine his surgery was on 7-5-2002 so it has not been that long... We are hoping for the best!!![/quote]

AH HAH light bulb goes off here ;-) Have you considered a food allergy?
what is consistent between the two foods and maybe more present in the adult food? Food allergies can do funny peculiar things!
Also don't count on Interceptor to get rid of a present infection - will keep a new one from forming but may not totally eradicate one that is in force.
I'm thinking good thoughts for the nerves being just fine!
Oh and chewing stuff can be good 'activity' for a pup that needs to be kept quiet. Also mind games such as which hand has the treat and touch that one only with your nose and flip the right cup with your nose when you mix the cups around to hide the treat etc

Guest Anonymous

Hi! I have some experience w/ seizures in a dog. A few years a go I had a wonderful corgi/shepard mix (yes, a shepard w/ no legs :)) At age 2 she began to have seizures for no apparent reason. She took increasing doses of phenobarbitol over time. Her disorder was diagnosed as idiopathic epilepsy (idiopathic meaning with no identifiable cause). Both our vet and the vet internist he referred us to felt that her seizures were most likely a result of a subtle brain injury during or before birth, probably due to brief oxygen deprivation during delivery. (They first ruled out allergies, poisons, etc.) Once a minute area of the brain is injured, and it causes a seizure, the seizure can cause further inury - a snowball effect. Symptoms may appear immediately postpartum, or up to 2 - 4 years later depending on the circumstance, and may cause any range of symptom (eye fluttering only to grand mal). My Hannah was controlled enough for a good life for a year after the seizures appeared, but after 2 she was seizing daily and we were calling her Dopey because she was so high on the phenobarbitol 24/7. On the other hand, many dogs take moderate doses of meds and do fine for years of a good life.

As I read this it sounds depressing, but it is meant to be uplifting. Ours was a "worst case scenario", but our last 2 years with Hannah were wonderful. She played frisbee every day until she was exhausted and flopped down - panting while smiling that happy dog, grass-encrusted grin that only a dog full of joy can bring to our lives. Even though her seizures were severe and frequent, I wouldn't have traded her for any healthy dog on earth. We appreciated her more because we aware that her course was just as likely down as up.

Your Jac sounds like a sweet pup worth the effort and time to deal with his health issues. A dog with a seizure disorder is certainly much less difficult to handle than a person with epilepsy, and they are always worth the effort.

yours truly,

[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

On the food allergy since Jac got home from surgery he will NOT eat dry food so I had to go buy can and I did not buy Purina...and so far no 'seizures'!!!! Good News for once!!KNOCK ON WOOD EVERYONE!!! But these attacks have been known to go a month with out reoccuring... We are going in for a check-up on his leg today and I will tak to him about the worm thing today...

Newflawyer... Hannah sounds like she was a joy and I have one of those joys already and another if need be I would accept gladly. I have a Blind Cocker Spaniel. She was born blind but she is a ton of fun and I would never trade her. Jac is a great dog and worth anytime or effort that we have to put in. I make a lifetime commitment of my animals whether they get sick, hurt, or are just fine.. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']On the food allergy since Jac got home from surgery he will NOT eat dry food so I had to go buy can and I did not buy Purina...and so far no 'seizures'!!!! Good News for once!!KNOCK ON WOOD EVERYONE!!! But these attacks have been known to go a month with out reoccuring... We are going in for a check-up on his leg today and I will tak to him about the worm thing today...

Newflawyer... Hannah sounds like she was a joy and I have one of those joys already and another if need be I would accept gladly. I have a Blind Cocker Spaniel. She was born blind but she is a ton of fun and I would never trade her. Jac is a great dog and worth anytime or effort that we have to put in. I make a lifetime commitment of my animals whether they get sick, hurt, or are just fine.. :wink:[/quote]

I think I would insist that the vet screen for thyroid problems.

After we had several of our dogs almost die from eating Purina ---- we switched and have never looked back.

All of our dogs are on Interceptor. Sometimes they come up positive for round worms. Just a thing that happens. Whip worms are hard as the dickens to get rid of. Since worms are soil borne, every time it rains (here) we have a flush of parasites! Here is a soap box - if you have your dog on a heart worm preventative, then why every year do you have to have them tested? Yes, I know nothing is fool proof. Then in the same breath, the vet will say, if they have heart worms and you give them the preventative it could kill the dog. Okay, but the dog has been on the preventative every month without fail since he was 3 months old. Hum....just a thought, sure Jac isn't having a reaction to the Interceptor? Did he have seizures prior to taking Interceptor?

Speaking of blind.....our pup sustained severe head trauma when she was 6 wks old and is now partially blind (she's 14wks old now). She has learned that when I say, "Keller, stop", that there is some sort of obstruction in front of her. She stops, lays down, and feels with her paw in front of her. When going down stairs, she lays down and feels with her paw and slides to the next step.

Sorry that was off the topic......I named her "Keller" after...Helen, you know Helen Keller :D :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newflawyer']Hi! I have some experience w/ seizures in a dog. A few years a go I had a wonderful corgi/shepard mix (yes, a shepard w/ no legs :)) snip
[email][email protected][/email][/quote]

Just curious were you sure the dog was a mix and not a Shepherd with the dwarf gene? I've seen a dwarfed shepherd and they do have some serious health issues and a shortened life span from what I learned from the person who had that dog.

Guest Anonymous

Tic Doc funny you should say that about Purina...I talked to a breeder of Collies about 2 months ago while trying to find a home for a rescue. He told me he had a male Collie that fell weak one day and could not get up..This lasted for approx. 1-2 weeks. Vet tested for everything and found nothing. Only said maybe it is his hips... The breeder changed his food and within 2-3 days the dog was fine. The man had been using Purina for 10 yrs now he uses something else (I cannot remember the name off the top off my head) but he has been using it for approx 18 yrs and has had no problems of that nature since.

jac went for check-up yesterday. I talked to the vet again and they are going to screen his thyroid, liver, CBC, and do an element panel. I am trying to remember if he had any attacks prior to Interceptor.... I will have to check my memory...(it may take awhile :wink: )

My blind Cocker can turn on a dime. She will fly through the yard and right when you think she is going to run into something she will turn..She is amazing to watch!! :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='newflawyer']Hi! I have some experience w/ seizures in a dog. A few years a go I had a wonderful corgi/shepard mix (yes, a shepard w/ no legs :)) snip
[email][email protected][/email][/quote]

Just curious were you sure the dog was a mix and not a Shepherd with the dwarf gene? I've seen a dwarfed shepherd and they do have some serious health issues and a shortened life span from what I learned from the person who had that dog.[/quote]

No, I'm fairly sure. She had the red coloration of a Corgi. Actually she really looked like a big red Cardigan except for the black & tan shepard tail. Her face also seemed less fox-like and more GSD-like than all Corgi, but she was definitely not all shepard.

Guest Anonymous

Not only could she walk, she was a marvelous frisbee dog. Her torso was about 3 1/2 feet long, then add on the neck and head. When she flew in to the air to get the frisbee, her head was 6 feet off the ground, but her back feet barely left it! Her legs just looked like Corgi legs under a much bigger dog. But she had a smile that would melt the coldest heart. Her nickname was "Laughing Pup" because that's what she looked like.

Guest Anonymous

One more thing while I'm here: I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the caring, helpful and educational input that Guest Tic Doc has added to this discussion. He/she has been a real benefit to the discourse here, and clearly has some professional knowlege that is being shared with us purely for free. What a nice thing! I've learned a lot and wanted to say thank you.

Guest Anonymous

Yes I will say thank you also for helping with holding and giving some straws on Jac and the other information you have shared on the forum with me!

I am still staying away from Purina and no 'seizures' thus far.. He is still no eating much though (1-1 1/2 cups a day) but this may be due to the lack of activity!! At least that is what I hope.. He is getting some sensation back in foot :D but still knuckling... Jac had 1 'seizure' prior to Interceptor but they go more frequent after. The first just involved front feet though and there was no moaning almost as if he just twisted his front foot in the yard. Or his feet just collasped. You know he has never had an attack at my father house but he eats there dog food because he refuses to eat his...

Another thing I forgot to mention..Jac is sooo hot natured. I have never in my life seen a dog get as hot as he does. At night he will whine if it is to hot in the house. Everyone will be freezing in the house he is just comfortable. That may be completely irrelevant but maybe not.. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']Yes I will say thank you also for helping with holding and giving some straws on Jac and the other information you have shared on the forum with me!

I am still staying away from Purina and no 'seizures' thus far.. He is still no eating much though (1-1 1/2 cups a day) but this may be due to the lack of activity!! At least that is what I hope.. He is getting some sensation back in foot :D but still knuckling... Jac had 1 'seizure' prior to Interceptor but they go more frequent after. The first just involved front feet though and there was no moaning almost as if he just twisted his front foot in the yard. Or his feet just collasped. You know he has never had an attack at my father house but he eats there dog food because he refuses to eat his...

Another thing I forgot to mention..Jac is sooo hot natured. I have never in my life seen a dog get as hot as he does. At night he will whine if it is to hot in the house. Everyone will be freezing in the house he is just comfortable. That may be completely irrelevant but maybe not.. :wink:[/quote]

Wishing you continued good luck and you might want to compare ingredients between the two foods you have used.
as for hot - is Jac an adolescent male? think back in time and remember just how warming hormones are :lol:
it does make me wonder about thyroid though for some reason
often allergies are connected with thyroid problems too

Guest Anonymous

[quote]newflawyer
Novice

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:55 pm Post subject: tic doc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing while I'm here: I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the caring, helpful and educational input that Guest Tic Doc has added to this discussion. He/she has been a real benefit to the discourse here, and clearly has some professional knowlege that is being shared with us purely for free. What a nice thing! I've learned a lot and wanted to say thank you.

Newflawyer

candybug2002
Addicted

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:24 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TicDoc is great! annother thing he/she isnt rude with their answers like other guests! Thanks TicDoc!
1 year old pepper the rabbit

To see my babies go to [url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=58817[/url]

Jacsmom

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:28 pm Post subject:

Yes I will say thank you also for helping with holding and giving some straws on Jac and the other information you have shared on the forum with me!

I am still staying away from Purina and no 'seizures' thus far.. He is still no eating much though (1-1 1/2 cups a day) but this may be due to the lack of activity!! At least that is what I hope.. He is getting some sensation back in foot but still knuckling... Jac had 1 'seizure' prior to Interceptor but they go more frequent after. The first just involved front feet though and there was no moaning almost as if he just twisted his front foot in the yard. Or his feet just collasped. You know he has never had an attack at my father house but he eats there dog food because he refuses to eat his...

Another thing I forgot to mention..Jac is sooo hot natured. I have never in my life seen a dog get as hot as he does. At night he will whine if it is to hot in the house. Everyone will be freezing in the house he is just comfortable. That may be completely irrelevant but maybe not.. [/quote]

[color=indigo][b]This is probably the nicest thing that anyone has ever said to me. My week has been total crap, I come here and get the nicest gift -- EVER.
Deepest, heart felt thanks![/b][/color]

Guest Anonymous

I don't want to scare you, as I'm sure you're already very worried about both problems w/your pup. Have your vet or an internist do a complete bloodwork up and spinal x-rays to be on the safe side. I had a 7 mo. old boxer pup who broke the femur in the hind leg when he knocked a picnic bench over on him. The leg was broken in 2 places and pins were put in and he did well, but on about the 10th day I noticed he'd lost weight, and I took him in for tests. He had a very high calcium count and was subsequently diagnosed with multiple myeloma. This certainly doesn't mean that your dog has it, but it's always best to make sure because some diseases are so obscure and some vets don't know what to look for. I would be and am concerned about any 6 mo. old pup who jumps a foot and a half into the air and breaks the leg. Their bones are pretty supple at that age, and other than being hit by a car or jumping off a high wall, it makes one very suspicious. I'm sorry if this upsets you, but I really did think I should mention it. Good luck to Jac.