Dogomania

American Indian Dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']Is the American Indian Dog really a dog or a woldhybrid. The only information I find comes for the breeders themselves. They AKC doesn't mention them.
[email][email protected][/email][/quote]

I think there are several people selling dogs they claim are an American Indian Dog. Some are selling wolf hybrids some are selling mixes of another type. I'm not sure there really are any of the Indian camp dogs left in a 'pure' version no matter what someone's sales advertising might say.

• 2 years later...
Guest Anonymous

HI,
The American Indian Dog is not a wolfhybrid.
They are an Australian Kelpie mix. Predominately
Kelpie. With Border Collie, some husky, Carolina Dog.
Depending on the parents.
So no, they are not "real".

Guest Anonymous

Well, some were in the past, but it's pretty diluted now.
I have one. But I found the breeder where he got his Kelpies.
He used them for breeding into his dogs to make them more trainable.
He also sold Kelpie/Border Collies as AID's. The guys just not honest.
It's his own interpretation of what an Indian Dog is or was.

I don't mind "interperitations", it's when they start turning their "interperitations" into "pure dog breeds" that I have a problem with 'em. If my interperitation of a Jack Russel Terrier is a 50 lb dog, that doesn't mean I can breed my Jacks to a Dobie and still have Jack Russel Terriers.

~Seij

Guest Anonymous

I totally agree with you.
Do you know anyone else who has his dogs??
Just curious. I know quite a few, and they all resemble Kelpies
in one way or another Mine has extreme herding instincts.
He will never admit any of the breeds that he has used.
They are an expensive mutt. If people ask what kind of dog I have,
I tell them a Kelpie mix. I used to say a AID, but when I found out
she wasn't I stopped calling her that.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, there are no known/proven populations of Indian dogs from the United States area. The dogs the Indians had were used for food as the Indians were pushed from there lands, and the remaining dogs gradualy interbred interbred into the introduced European dog populations. If you look at old photos showing Indians' dogs, most don't show actual pure Indian dogs, but show the ones that had been interbreeding with the European dogs for many generations. The dogs in the photos rarely resemble anything like the original pure Indian dogs (there are some old paintings that show what the original dogs looked like, that is, if the artists were being accurate).

~Seij

• 1 year later...

I am an archaeologist specializing in faunal analysis. I am analyzing prehistoric dogs for archaeological sites in the Four Corners area, with interesting findings from a project near Durango, and came across this thread in doing my research. It is disheartening for me to see the vast amount of misinformation being spread on the web regarding "Indian Dogs." I won't go on a rant about how researchers have known for over a hundred years that, not only were there many different types of dogs in different places in N. America with multiple and different uses, or that the promiscuity of canids precludes any "pure" breeds, but will refer the readers to references that I find invaluable.

Start with:

[B]Dogs of the American Aborigines[/B] by Glover M. Allen 1920

[B]The Aboriginal Southwestern Indian Dog[/B]
Harold S. Colton
[I]American Antiquity[/I], Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr., 1970), pp. 153-159

[B]Origins of the Domestic Dog: The Fossil Record[/B] by S. J. Olsen
Review author[s]: Marc Bekoff
[I]Journal of Mammalogy[/I], Vol. 67, No. 1 (Feb., 1986), pp. 218-219

[FONT=Times New Roman][LEFT]Olsen, S. J. 1985. [B]Origins of the domestic dog: the fossil record[/B]. Univ. of Arizona Press,Tucson, USA.[/LEFT]
[/FONT]
and see the excelent references section in:
[URL]http://www.canineworld.com/ngsdcs/Origin.of.the.Dog.pdf[/URL]

Starting with these publications, it is obvious that nobody agrees on the exact origin of the domestic dog in North America, let alone the bizarre idea that any pure breeds still exist. Especially since there is no evidence that any "breeds" ever persisted. However, it is well known that there were two to three prehistoric dog morphotypes in southwest N. America that many have called breeds, and I will probably continue this tradition for sake of simplicity. My research will hopefully flesh out this debate, but will be very limited geographically and temporally. Hope this helps.

Josh Edwards

• 1 year later...